How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-12-2011
flaunt the imperfection

hope that you had success with your alterations lapin...

31-12-2011
backstage pass

I'm pregnant right now, and since this is my second pregnancy, all the novelty and excitement over my changing body is totally gone. So fashion wise, I have summer months on my mind, since that's when I might have a chance of fitting into normal clothes again. Especially shorts, which I haven't wanted to wear in years. I basically want to be looking like this

but swapping out the wedges for flats like these Margielas

(pics from lagarconne.com)

I wonder where I will be able to find shorts like these without the high price tag?

Anyway, not sure if anyone else is dreaming of summer!

Last edited by tourist10; 31-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.
31-12-2011
Some Like It Hot

^Zara perhaps ?

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin de Lune View Post
oh, and Jenna Maria I have been searching for the perfect jeans for over 12 yrs. It has become painful ..
Topshop, particularly Topman have brilliant jeans, i know I'm a guy but i bought two pairs recently from Topman in a skinny fit and they fit perfectly, one pair was a plain black stretch skinny jean and the other was a waxed denim again in a skinny fit, both are gorge!

backstage pass

I have a question regarding that neon trend... What do you think of it? Somehow it deeply fascinates me. I'm always a lover of anything colorful And some of those neon looks make my heart beat faster. But I'm not sure how I could wear it? I'm 32 now and wore neon dresses as a kid in the eighties... but isn't this trend more for the younger crowd?! I'm fascinated by neon denim jackets... but how would you wear them? Is any of you jumping on the neon bandwagon?

04-01-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

^I like neon. But I only use it as a pop of colour in an otherwise neutral outfit.
I think denim jackets can be hard to style if one wants to avoid the somewhat young rugged look. But I think one can make neon denim jackets look more polished if it's worn with neutrals, for example; navy trousers, grey t and a yellow neon denim jacket. I think the trick it to keep the rest of the outfit more classic in terms of pieces and colour.
In general I really like pairing navy and/or grey with neon as they give a softer look than black does.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist10 View Post

I wonder where I will be able to find shorts like these without the high price tag?

Anyway, not sure if anyone else is dreaming of summer!
so you want baggy shorts without a high price tag? why not try mens shorts? the gap and banana republic might have some reasonably priced ones.

backstage pass

thanks for the suggestions chanel and lucy!

lucy - that's a really interesting idea that I didn't think of! The only concern is finding a pair with some drape, men's shorts often seem very stiff at places like gap

redandnavy - I'm around the same age, and personally neon does not appeal to me, but I really like tinetush's suggestion of pairing it with navy and gray. It could work!

05-01-2012
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinetush View Post
In general I really like pairing navy and/or grey with neon as they give a softer look than black does.
i'm really with you on this one...especially navy...
so much cooler and more modern that with black...

black w/neon is too 80's retro...
it's not interesting or creative or new ...or cool...
imho...

i also don't really like entire garments that are all one solid neon colour...
you could go blind from that...!!!...
what i like are some of the gorgeous prints for spring that have some splashes of neon---Preen s/s 2012 comes to mind immediately...

05-01-2012
backstage pass

Thank you for your opinion, Tinetush and Softgrey!

I'm not sure yet whether I'll include a bit of neon into my spring / summer wardrobe. I like it but I'm not sure it would really match my other pieces. I love strong colors in general, but I agree: Pairing them with navy and grey is much nicer than with black. I've more and more moved away from black in the past three seasons. It looks so hard to me nowadays, especially when combined with the strong colors that I like.

I'm thinking of maybe buying an accessory with some neon in it. But I'll wait a bit longer until I decide. And I have to look carefully at my stuff again and decide what would actually go with it. I never want to buy something in a trend that makes me buy a lot more things to have something to go with it. Even if I like it.

28-04-2012

eh, prepare for random rant...

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm trying to save money for when I'm moving to Canada next autumn. I'm also visiting a few places this summer, where having a penny or two wouldn't hurt either.
So I really shouldn't be buying anything atm. And it's not that I can't go without shopping, but I've just allowed myself to indulge in something after I've handed in my Bachelor thesis, this thursday. The problem is that I've already found quite a few (read many) things which I want.
I just don't know how to choose
Which criteria should I use... Gut-feeling? Special piece? What I need the most? What I'll wear the most? - Maybe a combination of some of them?

Right now I'm making a list, with pictures of the things I'm leaning towards, maybe that'll give me a better perspective.

Last edited by Tinetush; 28-04-2012 at 10:40 AM.
28-04-2012
V.I.P.

where in canada are you moving? if you are moving someplace thats ridiculously cold then i would suggest grabbing a few special pieces or cold weather items, espcially considering its a great time for purchasing them - they are more likely to be on sale.

the summers in canada are so mild you are going to need some layering items. i remember visiting montreal in the summer and needing to wear sweaters and wishing i had brough my leather jackets.

Well I'm actually mainly moving there to go skiing for a season. So no mild summers for me as I'm only planning on my stay to be temporary. And the clothing I'll bring will mostly be skiing and casual clothes. I know from experience that stuff I wear while on skiing holidays are quite different to what I normally wear. e.g. no heels. So the things I'm considering, I would probably leave at home. I think that's why I'm so confused, I'm basically getting something that I'll mostly wear in about a year

I might be lening towards a nice everyday top with short sleeves that I'll be able to wear during summer, and that I might take with me.

Last edited by Tinetush; 28-04-2012 at 11:56 AM.
04-06-2012

bump...

I just had a small epiphany!
Got an off white loose shirt last week or so, and hadn't really had time to play around with it until today. It's brilliant! I can't for the life of me understand how I've managed to go without it during past summers. It's as though it has breathed new life into my old summer wardrobe!

04-06-2012
girl who fell to earth

awesome! looking forward to seeing some of your stylings in WAYWT

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
personal, style