How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-06-2012
tfs star

Just out of curiousity, what do people think personal style actually is? Some of the comments I see very obviously imply the person making them thinks everyone should just wear what they (the person making the comment) like. I don't see what's personal about that. I'm purposely veering myself away from that.

01-07-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFrancoise View Post
Just out of curiousity, what do people think personal style actually is? Some of the comments I see very obviously imply the person making them thinks everyone should just wear what they (the person making the comment) like. I don't see what's personal about that. I'm purposely veering myself away from that.
Im just reading a book called sociology of taste and one of the thesis about fashion there ist that fashion is all about stating that you are a part of a social group but at the same time an individual so it equals inovation and imitationat the same tame, which is paradoxical but makes sense and explains alot of things. ...wdoesnt directly reply to your question but kind of does if you think about it.

02-07-2012
scenester

I've been wearing more causal wear the last few years and now I think it's time I return back to my roots with more formal, slick type attires. Getting excited just thinking about it. Needless to say that most of the pieces I will be designing myself of course.

02-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
I have a question regarding that neon trend... What do you think of it? Somehow it deeply fascinates me. I'm always a lover of anything colorful And some of those neon looks make my heart beat faster. But I'm not sure how I could wear it? I'm 32 now and wore neon dresses as a kid in the eighties... but isn't this trend more for the younger crowd?! I'm fascinated by neon denim jackets... but how would you wear them? Is any of you jumping on the neon bandwagon?
I think it is a fun trend and I don't really have any issues with adding a pop of neon despite being older than you. I have a Tom Binns necklace from a few seasons ago that is black crystal with a pop of chartreuse neon and I've ordered a neon yellow crossbody bag by Minkoff. Also got some fun nailpolish. Will probably pick up some fun jewerly pieces from Etsy and I love the idea of a neon skinny belts as a layering piece.

The thing is though I really am not a color person, more black, grey and occassionally taupe - and some jewel tones but mainly cobalt blue.

Agree that Preen did a great job with their prints.

02-07-2012
backstage pass

The trend I'm not sure about is loafers or really how to style them. I'm really loving a pair of black velvet ones with tulip details by McQueen.

29-07-2012
flaunt the imperfection

i have so many shoes that need to go to the shoemaker......
ugh!

30-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i have so many shoes that need to go to the shoemaker......
ugh!

whenever i'm dropping off multiple items i say something like "and since i'm dropping off 8 items i'd like 20% off"

usually they say yes. you might try browsing through yelp to see if any yelpers are getting volume discounts at your favorite places as well.

the problem with me is that my shoes tend to look banged up quick! and usually they get dings in the side of the heels. that is harder to fix.

but the good thing is perhaps its only me that notices the dings...

trendsetter

What do you guys think about mixing two totally different styles together?

I was preppy, grungy, french-chic. Now I fell in love with two styles: boho chic, but not too boho and chic, sexy, preppy and clean style. But I was doing the second for a couple of months and I always looked good, but it was so boring!

Can't decide what to choose so I want to mix it up! And here comes the problem. I don't even know what to buy for fall. I have a "classic wardrobe" - lots of basic cuts and colors. And what's with hair and make-up?

I want a style that is totally mine, that I create and pull off. I know this should be easy because there are looks that I like and that I don't; I know what direction to take (not excatly, but still...), but as I said before I don't even know what to buy to have my "style staples". So any advice is needed!

There are looks that I really like:
all from pinger.pl
(without the headband, i hate headbands!)
without the hat

and my favorite editorial of all-time:

pinterest.com/gogirlgo

pinterest.com/thaismanzatto

pinterest.com/thekaties

girl who fell to earth

i think, try not to define yourself too much or pigeonhole yourself into following a certain "look"

i think you'll find your style through trial and error, just go for pieces that you love or maybe try to zero in on what it is you like about the looks you highlighted...
i think there's a lot of variety and range in those photos alone

30-08-2012
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
whenever i'm dropping off multiple items i say something like "and since i'm dropping off 8 items i'd like 20% off"

usually they say yes. you might try browsing through yelp to see if any yelpers are getting volume discounts at your favorite places as well.

the problem with me is that my shoes tend to look banged up quick! and usually they get dings in the side of the heels. that is harder to fix.

but the good thing is perhaps its only me that notices the dings...
thanks...i was thinking about haggling about price since it's so many items...
now i will definitely see what i can do...
problem is i need to take them to a hi end repair place because some of them are more complicated repairs (snapped strapped, wobbly heels, special crepe soles, etc)
not so sure the hi end places are as willing to cut their prices...

06-10-2012
backstage pass

I should make more efforts about my style, I'm very lazy and I'm sick and tired of looking plain when my mind is swarming with ideas and inspirations.

The thing is (besides lacking money and not being body confident) that I don't manage to mix the different styles I love because they're too different, I love diversity way too much and I can't commit to one style.

12-10-2012
front row

I've been wearing dark colored dress shirts untucked with a loosely tied tie, jeans, and matched sneakers a lot recently. Sort of a fusion of formal and informal I suppose. It does feel a little odd to be dressed up more than pretty much every other student at my school and the majority of my professors though, but I kind of like it.

Power to the 99%

Came across this while clearing out old magazines ... from an old Jockey ad :p ... "Comfort comes from a layer way beneath your underwear."

14-10-2012
backstage pass

I've bought my first black item in about 8-9 years..

14-10-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Wow ... do you wear another color instead of black, like brown or navy?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
personal, style