How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-06-2011
vertebrae by vertebrae

^ I am trying to work on the opposite.. accepting some tones other than greyscale and neutrals into my life. the weird thing is, I have some prints, which are quite colorful, and feel fine wearing those - but for some reason, solid pieces of a color, even when it's not bright, makes me feel like a Las Vegas billboard.

01-07-2011
scenester

I wear a lot of neutrals - black, grey and dark blue. I need to integrate more colour. I love red, but I don't have any. ):

20-07-2011
flaunt the imperfection

i wore my top from the yohji ss11 collection the other day at work...
i felt so relaxed and so free...
it's so easy to forget how amazing some clothes can make you feel...

it looks like such a complicated piece of design...and it is...
even more complicated when you really examine it up close...
but it is so simple and easy to wear...
and so comfortable and fabulous...

even got a really nice compliment...

it's amazing what the right clothes can do for you...

20-07-2011
front row

I am currently experiencing a lot of changes, mentally speaking, with regards to my personal style. A sort of overhaul. Reducing my closet is on the list of things to do, as well as investing in more quality, timeless pieces, instead of collecting numerous pieces of clothing that are cheaper yet more difficult to style. It seems that this is quite a common point to reach amongst many of us, and although the urge has been there for a long time, I have only just bit the bullet with intentions to change. I am not happy with my bargain acquisitions, and functioning in this way seems to have somehow eclipsed even my opinion of what actually suits me.

This feels slightly difficult to admit to, yet regardless the changes, I was never what you might call a heavy consumer of fast fashion, nor did I opt for terrible quality - but something has simply altered within me, and it appears there is no way of turning back. I am slowly making lists of essentials, dream items, etc, and will make efforts to try the clothes on in real life prior to purchasing online (previously a huge mistake for me!). I will try to pop back in at a later date with my progress - which will be oh so slow, since I will have to save for quite some time before I can indulge in what I actually need.

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 20-07-2011 at 11:40 PM.
21-07-2011
backstage pass

^i feel the exact same. i have been bargain shopping and rarely getting something that is perhaps a little more expensive but what i generally love and is easy to style. i want to get more classic items, however, i am quite lost as to what essentials should be in every girls closet. any help?

21-07-2011
flaunt the imperfection

^^^that varies greatly depending on your age, location, lifestyle, shape...etc...
but i can almost tell that you are both in your late teens or early twenties based on what is going on with your personal style...
it is pretty common around that age...you're not imagining that a lot of people around you are going through it...
it's a bit like growing pains...but in the style dept...
:p

but you want to start with the basics-the underpinnings...
and then build your way up from there...

so- start with great fitting pants...then some skirts...then some nice blouses and t-shirts...
*a good bra should be on that list as well---actually, you'll need at least three...
etc...

then you can add more fun things...
like accessories and cardigans and jackets...

that's how to build a wardrobe...one that will last as long as your size doesn't change...
it takes time and it's like a living, breathing thing...always growing and shifting slightly...
like a lifelong journey in style...

and it's FUN>>>....!!!...

Last edited by softgrey; 21-07-2011 at 10:45 AM.
21-07-2011
backstage pass

^ wow , your good! hah, i am in my late teens: 18 to be exact. and thank you for your advice! i guess, everything just takes time. instead of thinking about changing my closet dramatically, i should do it item by item. and just buy less items but quality ones that i love.

21-07-2011
front row

Oh god, I am mid thirties, haha!
I think that it is possible to become a little lost, or distracted at any age, really. It was something that I rarely gave much thought to previously, due to so many of life's other distractions. Although I always had a passion for clothing and style, I had been far too busy to care, until a sort of resurgence in my early thirties. Although I have generally always possessed my 'own style', it has only recently begun to alter, to change, and perhaps these are little epiphanies that can occur at any point? I don't know! I've met a few other thirtysomethings who have recently come to this weird impasse, so it has at least been comforting to know that I am not alone.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin de Lune View Post
Oh god, I am mid thirties, haha!
I think that it is possible to become a little lost, or distracted at any age, really. It was something that I rarely gave much thought to previously, due to so many of life's other distractions. Although I always had a passion for clothing and style, I had been far too busy to care, until a sort of resurgence in my early thirties. Although I have generally always possessed my 'own style', it has only recently begun to alter, to change, and perhaps these are little epiphanies that can occur at any point? I don't know! I've met a few other thirtysomethings who have recently come to this weird impasse, so it has at least been comforting to know that I am not alone.
Early thirties here and going through something similar... It does seem like something that happens to many around this time.

15-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

i do think that it happens every time you pass another decade actually...
:p...

i blame it on society and all those stupid magazine articles about
'what to wear when you are XX age...'

i think i have decided that the age doesn't matter...
it's what kind of shape you are in...
and what still actually looks good on you...
and what you still feel comfortable in...

*this is assuming you have some sense and aren't actually delusional enough to think that you look good when you look absolutely awful...

15-08-2011
front row

I also always go through such phases when big changes in my life - from outside or inside - occur. It's almost as if my wardrobe were a extension of my personality/life and when changes occur I feel the need to adjust it.

front row

I have been wondering what sparked mine, but cannot single any particular event or crisis - yet! All that I am aware of at present is that I had purchased one poor quality garment too many, and the sheer expense of this over a long period of time finally settled upon me, uncomfortably. I was actually quite furious, and almost immediately began to bag up the clothes which no longer satisfied me with a view to sending them to charity shops. Several months later I haven't gone back, so it was most likely final for me. There were stores which I had sworn by previously, that I have never even looked in since. So yes, after purchasing something bad, once too often (and perhaps several times in a row) it seems that I was shaken awake.

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 15-08-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo
17-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

yeah well...
spending loads of money on a bunch of stuff that doesn't last will frustrate anyone...
i think it's a good thing...
sounds like you are on the brink of something bigger and better for yourself...
keep at it i say!

18-08-2011
trendsetter

guys i need your help!
i have an hourglass figure - i have boobs, hips and a tiny waist. plus i'm tiny, only 160cm.
i really love Olivia Palermo's and VB's style, but they're slim, flat and with no butt! so things that look great on them would make me look fat etc.
could you please recommend some celebs that have similar body to mine and a good style... because i love to follow celebs' style here on tFS and get inspired by them

chaos reigns

^Nigella Lawson .. hands down! (she may be a bit bigger than you but she does embody the whole hourglass figure celeb)

And here´s my q. : Im attending THE fashion show of the year in my country tomorrow .. but I have no idea about what to wear .. I was thinking of highwater pants, a dress shirt and a nice jacket .. but because of the fact that Im a stylist for this mag, I feel like I have to push it a little bit ... like a pocketsquare? I love hats, but fashion shows ALWAYS get really hot .. and on top of it, we are on the rainy season (and its at night) so Im a bit undecided .. any pointers would help.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
personal, style