How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-09-2011
backstage pass

i cannot remember if i thanked you guys for the advice in my earlier post on this thread, how rude!! thanks for all the help and replies that i got, its been most helpful!

12-09-2011
rising star

Glad you were able to figure it out YoninahAliza! It sounds like you looked casual but still nicely put together. It's hard when the weather is crummy, isn't it?

13-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

i'm itching to wear this outfit...

+J khaki safari type shirt, blk stretch EF pencil skt, balenciaga blk stiletto biker bootie...
i need the weather to cool down already!!!

16-09-2011

wearing a lot of black these days...
feels good...

:p

16-09-2011
front row

As someone who's worn nothing but black since birth I must say I'm getting tired of it. I really want to go the complete opposite and go for an all white look but it's just so hard to get out of the black hole that is my closet. ):

01-10-2011
front row

personal style etc
Does a perception crisis qualify as a fashion tragedy? If not please feel free to delete this.

Lately, I have come to the conclusion that I simply do not suit clothes. And by this I mean clothes in general.

At first glance, this might appear to have something to do with self esteem issues, which I have certainly explored, but I'm not quite so sure. I am quite accepting of the way I look, and have a pretty average (height/weight), if small body shape, which I am relatively happy with. I just simply don't feel at all well put together lately, regardless what I wear, whether it's high street or designer, causal or smart. Although I do possess a certain style of my own, and feel quite comfortable with my choices, the clothes themselves always tend to look 'wrong' when I actually wear them.

Could this be a common issue? In fact, it is something that I have never mentioned out loud before and am quite curious as to how prevalent this sort of thing is. I simply feel as though I make the clothes look ungainly, shabby, badly put together. Several high quality pieces which I have acquired over the past 4 months literally swamp me, even though they are the smallest size, and were not described or intended to be worn oversized or loose fitting. I have almost grown tired of shopping for this reason alone, and am developing a fair amount of distrust of my choices. My style is reasonably minimal, and I am attracted to more classic, timeless garments, items which ought to at least work decently for anybody, but alas not for me.
Luck may come into it, i admit: one pair of trousers feels slightly too tight, the next size up overwhelms me. Coats unreasonably bury my shoulders, almost any cut of jeans makes me look disproportionate, and skirts are either too short or hang too low on the hips.

I wonder if my ability to dress myself is deteriorating, or whether I am simply choosing the wrong stuff. And as much as I adore fashion, I am starting to feel a little bit fed up. Several months ago I made a pact with myself to ditch fast fashion and to concentrate upon owning less yet higher quality pieces that I loved. Unfortunately, the situation hasn't actually improved anything, even though I have been careful with my recent selections.

The only clothes which I feel comfortable wearing at the moment are shortish skirts and loose fitting tops/shirts. Perhaps I simply don't suit my other choices (pants with smart shirts/jeans/tee's) and have to accept my limitations. I am actually confused by this issue, and wonder how so many other people manage to look so well turned out, whether they're sporting just a tee and jeans or more elaborate ensembles.

rising star

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, it can't be very fun.

Perhaps your style has developed and changed, yet your wardrobe hasn't caught up yet. There's nothing worse than trying to get dressed for the day and finding nothing in your wardrobe that matches your mood or the vision in your head. Being comfortable with choices may inevitably lead to you wanting to push yourself a bit further and want something more from how you dress yourself. Maybe try new silhouettes, or push to wear a piece different than you'd normally feel comfortable wearing.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

rising star

I have a question to ask. Sometimes when I'm getting dressed I have a hard time putting different designers together, and often get the urge to wear an almost 1-designer outfit. I don't know whether it's because my wardrobe is still being built up, whether I buy pieces that don't go together, or something else. I try them on together and feel like it doesn't look right, but maybe my head just hasn't adjusted to looking at something different. A lot of designers have very strong visions when it comes to their clothes. I just am struggling trying to form my own personal style. Any advice?

backstage pass

lapin i feel you might need a tailor. and explore what really works for you. i almost always wear shorts cause i hate the way jeans fit my legs. i have to make sure all my plaid button ups are oxford not spread collar. and as much as i love knitwear i usually have to stick to cardigans.

backstage pass

amour: Hmmm, first of all I don't think it's because you are still building your wardrobe. There were times when I thought my wardrobe was pretty good and I could live with it for some months without adding, but truth is: you will always be building your wardrobe. Fashion evolves, you evolve and the pieces in your wardrobe wear out, too. So: Don't think you'll ever stop building your wardrobe :p

I personally think combining designers should be easy. I always do. I don't even have pieces from one designer that I could dress in head to toe. If you only wear one designer at a time because of his idea of esthetics that sounds to me like you still need to develop your own eye for your personal style. Maybe you buy things that aren't that easy to combine.

What has helped me lately is to use wishlists on online shop like imaginary wardrobes. I put in pieces that I like and than I start to sort out until I have a set of collections that are truly easy to combine and that all fit one style. There is still a lot of variation but it looks like it all fits together, regardless of the designer. Unfortunatelly I only have the money to buy my 4-5 pieces a season but having a clear vision helps me to stay focused on the looks I want to achieve.

05-10-2011
backstage pass

Lapin De Lune, I used to have a similar problem. Mine was due to the fact that I bought clothes simply because I thought they were beautiful and not so much because of how they looked on me. It was very hard for me to accept that some of the things I find most beautiful, the first things I will be attracted to in any given store, aren't the things that suit me best. I found my way by swapping wardrobes with my best friends over the years, but aldn's suggestion of going to a tailor is probably a better and faster solution!

amour-
depends on the pieces...
some things are designed in a certain way so that you almost have to wear something else from the same designer in order for it to work...
marni can be like this i find...

so it may not be you...
it may be the pieces themselves...

just keep experimenting and wear what feels right...

*you might try taking pics of things while you are trying them on...
it can help to give you some perspective as to whether something is really working or not...

Last edited by softgrey; 07-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.
07-10-2011
backstage pass

yes. that's the bigger problem mimi. i used to buy hoodies like a crazy person and had to stop cause i never wore them! lol.

front row

Thanks for your input! A tailor would be ideal, although I can't imagine locating one around these parts, and imagine this might be quit expensive? I don't know. I am riding with it at the moment, just feeling my way forward.

What fresh hell is this.?

Wore sandals with no socks yesterday. I have a feeling that was the last time this year, it was way too cold. I'm ready for autumn. Knit, tights, scarves, hats - bring it on

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
personal, style