How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

26-08-2006
illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i have stuff that i know i'll never wear ...
i just like it so i keep it...

how often do you clear things out, or weed a little? i enjoy mine more when the quantity is a little lower.
what is your criteria for tossing/donating something when you finally do?

26-08-2006
V.I.P.

for some reason some of my clothes dissapear , the clothes I had 4 years ago dissapeared ....how? why?

27-08-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBoots
Today, at school, I saw a girl with a plain yellow t-shirt and a red sweater that was unzipped. I loved it!

Just a huge pop of color! She definitely pulled it off
oh my... as a Basque girl i would never wear such colour combination... yellow with red.. yuck! (okay, okay.. no politics)

http://www.myspace.com/sonnycam

27-08-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHeels
how often do you clear things out, or weed a little? i enjoy mine more when the quantity is a little lower.
what is your criteria for tossing/donating something when you finally do?
yeah- i think i need to weed things out so i can see things more clearly...
right now it's definitely a bit too crowded...

i don't have any criteria...
i even keep a few things that are really damaged sometimes because i think that i will have them remade somewhere...or i like the fabric and think i will do something else with it- some project...
or just because of the memories associated with them and that period of my life...

as my life has evolved- so has my wardrobe...
and certain pieces really define certain periods of my life...
you know how some people have a soundtrack to their lives...?
well- this is sort of a visual version of that...

plus- because i am a stylist- people give me stuff that they don't want...
like old vintage stuff....
that i just keep...for what?- i don't know...a shoot maybe?...

**plus i feel guilty that i have spent the money on something that i am throwing away---it feels wasteful...

*these are my wardrobe issues......

i am getting better though---

one way i have found to get past a lot of this is to find a good home for some things that i love but simply will not wear...

i recently gave my mom a dress and my friend a silk top...
i really loved the pieces and didn't want to let them go- but i felt bad that they were wasting away in my closet...
so i thought about who would they really look good on ...
and they are both really happy with their new things and i am happy that my things have finally made it onto the street...:p....

win/win situation......

27-08-2006
tfs star

I get what you mean Softgrey. I have certain pieces that I know I am unlikely to wear again and yet they hold sentimenal value and I can't let go. I do the same with my daughters clothes

27-08-2006
illustrator

Quote:
i don't have any criteria...
i even keep a few things that are really damaged sometimes because i think that i will have them remade somewhere...or i like the fabric and think i will do something else with it- some project...
or just because of the memories associated with them and that period of my life...
i do this too, and it is very satisfying when something does get a second life, either as a pillow or actually gets worn again. and i do keep things out of respect for their design, even if they don't appeal for wearing any more. i am beginning to suspect (and correct me if i'm wrong) that i'm just trying to get rid of clothes as an excuse to get new clothes...
but the good news is that sometimes a new purchase does resucitate old clothes. i got a new pair of shoes and now as a result i'm hanging on to a skirt that was marked for donation.
there's just too much good out there.

27-08-2006
illustrator

oh, oh, and key for me now is avoiding sales to some degree, or only going to them when i've had a full lunch and can think clearly - esp. when there is a no-return policy. i'm tired of buying terrific stuff in the wrong sizes, or terrific stuff that isn't my style, just because it's a huge markdown.

27-08-2006
front row

I've been very interested in cool colors.....like the last Rochas collection. The blue/navy bird dress was a huge inspiration to me. I love wearing color combonations of black, white, grey, or blue now. And I'm putting birds on everything!

As with jewelry, I really don't feel like wearing any anymore. Even if I love it, I have a huge urge to just take it off. Garhrh.

27-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
i have stuff that i know i'll never wear ...
i just like it so i keep it...

Trust me, when you have no more space left, you will start donating it. .................

27-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHeels
oh, oh, and key for me now is avoiding sales to some degree, or only going to them when i've had a full lunch and can think clearly - esp. when there is a no-return policy. i'm tired of buying terrific stuff in the wrong sizes, or terrific stuff that isn't my style, just because it's a huge markdown.
I know exactly how you feel. Two pairs of jeans I thought were perfect ... (if I just altered the length)
....... NOT!

03-09-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterak
As with jewelry, I really don't feel like wearing any anymore. Even if I love it, I have a huge urge to just take it off. Garhrh.
^Same here, I used to be jewelry obsessed but for the past few months I've been going through this phase where I rarely wear it.

I recently revamped like 75% of my wardrobe and it's really hard not to let emotional attachments to clothes get in the way of getting rid of a piece you will never wear. I had to learn that clothes weren't the key to holding onto memories and now my closet is a lot cleaner and I have a clearer vision for my wardrobe. A lot of things I was able to give to my friends and my sister. It is really satisfying seeing a friend wear something that I hated and work it into their wardrobe in a completely different way. The guilt of getting rid of clothes is lessened and it's fun to see other people's point of view.

03-09-2006
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aime_la_mode
^Same here, I used to be jewelry obsessed but for the past few months I've been going through this phase where I rarely wear it.
me three...I'm kinda known for my funky necklaces and elaborate earrings, and basically since the beginning of the summer I've been putting in basic gold hoops and that's it...I think it will last through fall and winter too.

03-09-2006
V.I.P.

I'm d-y-i-n-g for a black turtleneck cashmere sweater.

I think black turtlenecks are THE epitome of elegance and sophistication.

I think I'll ask for one for my b-day.

But satisfaction brought it back

04-09-2006
front row

[quote]me three...I'm kinda known for my funky necklaces and elaborate earrings, and basically since the beginning of the summer I've been putting in basic gold hoops and that's it...I think it will last through fall and winter too.[/qoute]

me four... I have all this lovely stuff but all I wear the last months is one golden ring. hmm maybe this is the start of a no jewellery trend

Last edited by Lilliana; 04-09-2006 at 04:55 AM.

05-09-2006
flaunt the imperfection

seriously...
i am getting on a no jewellery kick...
just one ring...

i thought it was just me...!!......
oh...so glad we have this thread now...

i am also finding that i want my outfits to be as simple as possible..
last winter i was all into layering...
but now that layering is a 'trend'...
i feel like-been there, done that...
i'm totally going for CHIC...elegant....simplicity...
and even 'pretty'...

**so- i gave away a bag full of little tanks and camis and tops that i had never worn to my friend......
and it looks like my other friend is taking a pr of prada boots off my hands (also never worn)......
we're making progress here...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
discussion, general, personal, style