How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-09-2006
front row

i dont know if its just me or anything.. but recently i keep getting comments from people around me that i dress too 'old, mature, sophisticated" my own aunt says i dress too 'mature' and that i have all my life to dress like that..

but to me it isn't too mature! i like dresses, kimono tops, ruffly blouses, skinny jeans, flats.. fun things..
i guess because every teenager around here dresses in hoodies, printed teeshirts, jeans, flipflops.. american eagle..immature tshirts and white sneakers.. so.. unappealing to me!

Last edited by shimmer; 05-09-2006 at 09:23 PM.

06-09-2006
botanizing on the asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
i dont know if its just me or anything.. but recently i keep getting comments from people around me that i dress too 'old, mature, sophisticated" my own aunt says i dress too 'mature' and that i have all my life to dress like that..

but to me it isn't too mature! i like dresses, kimono tops, ruffly blouses, skinny jeans, flats.. fun things..
i guess because every teenager around here dresses in hoodies, printed teeshirts, jeans, flipflops.. american eagle..immature tshirts and white sneakers.. so.. unappealing to me!
i completely empathize with this. (although i am not a teenager anymore )
I always get, "why are you so dressed up?"
It always surprises me, because i don't feel dressed up at all. i just don't really wear jeans or sneakers! anyway, your wardrobe sounds adorable--fun and sophisticated.
what could be better, no matter how old you are?

i am so with you all on the jewelry thing. is there something in the water?
i haven't really put on a pair of earrings in months (i do once in awhile just so the piercings don't close up). but i have a pair of wood and silver bangles that i wear pretty much all the time. that's it.

06-09-2006
backstage pass

Like everyone else, I'm not wearing much jewelry either. Actually, I've never worn much jewelry, but I do tend to wear a simple necklace everyday. I wear a lot of black, grey, and cream, so a simple, antique-y bronze necklace helps the overall look feel more earthy. That and a warm-toned shoe or purse (camels and browns).

06-09-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by model_strut
I'm getting into preppy/classy style with a rebel twist. think rich teenager who's dad owns a huge company in the hamptons circa 1960s who secretly sells drugs. or something. hahha....I like feeling a little dressed up but not too 'preppy'.

mmm black
ok that's funny! i need a good backstory like that.

i don't wear much jewellery these days. if i do it is one piece.

as for style. i constantly go back to a charlie girl sort of 80s secretary thing mixed with a deconstructed comme des garcons 90s hiphop thing [?!]. i just have a fascination with 'classics' and how they evolve in each decade. and i'm including all categories in "classics" [ie. french preppy, hip hop, haute couture,etc etc]. i am fascinated with shapes. and i am always drawn to a mix of denim, tweeds, leather, angors type sweaters, heavier knits, grey sweatshirt fabric, black and much more. AND i love pieces that are hard to place, there are a lot of "secretary" blouses from the 90s with a heavy 70s influence, the shapes are great and very flattering, and they are somehow not obvious? i love when people scan you and the cannot place your demographic or figure out your income, it drives them crazy and makes me happy.

i also have a hard time getting rid of things but i force myself to. and i constantly come up with new rules to make me do it.[do i have any negative associations with this piece? have i ever ever worn it? does it REALLY fit? will someone else enjoy it more than i? is it a part of my personality i have grown out of?...]

ok, end of essay.

06-09-2006
elementary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanDiamondRose
i love when people scan you and the cannot place your demographic or figure out your income, it drives them crazy and makes me happy.
me too.
love transcending those 'boundaries' . . .

06-09-2006
Frozen irony.

I need more dresses, shift dresses.. in silk, wool, and maybe leather..(?) Need to stock up on them, to wear with grey ribbed stockings in winter.

I also need some pointy toe men's laced shoes, in leather or patent.

Waiting for my rick owens jacket to come in.. that will really bring my fall wardrobe together a leather jacket with dresses in silk, mushroom colour, also need big chunky scarfes.

Also created this perfect 'basic' look- crisp white shirt, raw denim, and men's ponity laced shoes..

Fall it's going to be good.

06-09-2006
follow the lights

If I were a girl.. I am determined that I would wear Lanvin, Marni and Anne-Valerie Hash..
I don't think I would wear Ann Demeulemeester...

07-09-2006
Power to the 99%

I too have a jewelry issue ...

Nearly all my earrings are delicate, but last fall I got these big silver keshi pearl-encrusted hoops that stood out against the fabrics I was wearing. And now ... I like these big assertive earrings and wear them constantly ... and my old earrings look so ... small

07-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baizilla
If I were a girl.. I am determined that I would wear Lanvin, Marni and Anne-Valerie Hash..
I don't think I would wear Ann Demeulemeester...
I was really with you....until the last line.

I love Ann.

07-09-2006
follow the lights

Don't get me wrong, I love Ann as well... and her garments make out most of my wardrobe.

It was just a thought...

Last edited by Baizilla; 07-09-2006 at 06:31 PM.

07-09-2006
barack the vote

I think you have to be a person with a pretty daring and interesting personality to carry off Ann clothes well

07-09-2006
still here

I really hated my outfit today, I felt dissapointed, in myself! :p
why did I leave the house like that?

oh yeah, because laundry must be done...

but seriously, isn't it amazing how clothes can really affect your attitude for the day? I was a dancer my whole life and it was guaranteed that if I wore a leotard I really liked I'd dance much better that day in class

07-09-2006
Bel
front row

I also stopped wearing jewelry.
I decided I didn't what to have saggy earlobes when I'm old.

07-09-2006
front row

what?! earlobes sag because of earrings????

i have virgin ears.. haha.. i am kinda old but always thought i'd pierce them.. someday..........

08-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baizilla
Don't get me wrong, I love Ann as well... and her garments make out most of my wardrobe.

It was just a thought...
I love your list.
And probably your wardrobe too.

So, not to go back on renouncing jewelry or anything.....but yesterday, I developed the urge for a leather cuff....or two.

Something like this from Jill Platner, but less expensive. I searched on ebay for awhile but it was very scary .

{jillplatner.com}
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jillplatnerleatherbracelet.jpg (47.4 KB, 4 views)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
discussion, general, personal, style