How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-09-2006
V.I.P.

I wish I could actually FIND the items I want in this city.. I think I'll need to take a trip to Paris or London to buy everything I want.. even though it's nothing extraordinary, I can't find it here..

10-09-2006
front row

it is strange how a good outfit, one that's flattering, well-fitting, and stylish, can make an impact on my self esteem. i become more confident and happier.. and it's like a protective shield when meeting new people (because i'm painfully shy) and gives me a small boost.

part of me feels like this is quite absurd.. blahblah.. i am still the same person with or without the clothes i wear or the bag i carry.. it should be nonsense and this shouldn't matter.. (been reading philosophical life-guide tao-ish type things lately)

but i can't help what i feel.

11-09-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
it is strange how a good outfit, one that's flattering, well-fitting, and stylish, can make an impact on my self esteem. i become more confident and happier.. and it's like a protective shield when meeting new people (because i'm painfully shy) and gives me a small boost.

part of me feels like this is quite absurd.. blahblah.. i am still the same person with or without the clothes i wear or the bag i carry.. it should be nonsense and this shouldn't matter.. (been reading philosophical life-guide tao-ish type things lately)

I am exactly like you, haha. And I totally just wrote out a long comment but I pressed 'Back' by accident, grrr! I'll try again
On a side note, I think whether anyone likes it or not, their clothes will often play a part in first impressions. Like, a person will often be judged by others by what they wear, and people will assume what kind of person they are, and if they want to hang out with them or not. When I'm starting at a new place where no one will know me- school, job, whatever- I often decide beforehand how I want to come across to others and this is often reflected in how I choose to dress on the first day.
It might sound like I'm being someone I'm not, but I have a lot of different styles and I like to play around with them. And I think because I have so many styles, it gives me an insercurity about who I realy am; and that's why I always feel the need to "pick a style". I feel more confident when I'm sure of my style I think that's fine; I'm still young and I think I'm pretty normal

11-09-2006
Bel
front row

Quote:
what?! earlobes sag because of earrings????

i have virgin ears.. haha.. i am kinda old but always thought i'd pierce them.. someday..........
no, only if you wear really big ones all the time.
i just used to have PERFECT attached earlobes and they got a little dimple from wearing heavy earrings... it made me sad

11-09-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEAPandCHIC
I am exactly like you, haha. And I totally just wrote out a long comment but I pressed 'Back' by accident, grrr! I'll try again
On a side note, I think whether anyone likes it or not, their clothes will often play a part in first impressions. Like, a person will often be judged by others by what they wear, and people will assume what kind of person they are, and if they want to hang out with them or not. When I'm starting at a new place where no one will know me- school, job, whatever- I often decide beforehand how I want to come across to others and this is often reflected in how I choose to dress on the first day.
It might sound like I'm being someone I'm not, but I have a lot of different styles and I like to play around with them. And I think because I have so many styles, it gives me an insercurity about who I realy am; and that's why I always feel the need to "pick a style". I feel more confident when I'm sure of my style I think that's fine; I'm still young and I think I'm pretty normal
lol, i play around with everything too! there are times when i purposely dress up funny, or like.. hippie-ish... strange.. i get weird looks. and then i also have every type of outfit. every 'mood' (not sure hwo u say it).. hippie, rocker, preppy, french, japanese-y, sporty, etc.. i feel like i'm 10 different people sometimes!

11-09-2006
windowshopping

This is a really interesting thread!

My personal style is really just a mishmash of what I like. I'm a sucker for really clean lines and fitted clothes, though - which is a bitch to find for someone tiny like I am. :| 4'11. That's kinda' what everything revolves around - trying to find fun things to wear that don't swallow me up or make me look silly.

I've currently fallen hard for tunics and leggings - shameful, I know - but I tend to lean more toward Audrey Hepburn than Scenesters when I'm getting dressed. I looooove a long, clean line with leggings - especially in black. Here's to trying not to look like a beat poet wannabe'. Like, right now I have this amazing grey tunic dress that I like to wear over leggings, with my vintage stilettos - and it's just the most flattering thing ever. XD People could be pointing and laughing at me behind my back, but I always feel hot wearing it.

11-09-2006
front row

for fall/winter i am the romantic goth princess

for spring/summer i am the romantic fairy princess

but no matter what i always have elements from the 20s, 30s, 60s, 70s composed in a very sleek, sexy, modern context

its so much easier to shop now since i figured out my fashion persona

23-09-2006
follow the lights

I really need a pair of boots for the winter.. but a good pair of boots are really hard to come by, especially where I'm located

23-09-2006
trendsetter

For me, what most affects what I'm going to wear is music and the weather. If I'm listening to Bright Eyes I might want to slip into my skinny jeans but if I'm listening to, say, Marilyn Monroe I feel empowered (for lack of a better word) to dress elegantly and more femininie.

16-10-2006
backstage pass

very interesting bella.
I like music too.
so heres my question... about me.
so I'm wanting to buy a pair of nice (read $) leather boots or shoes or something.
My deal is, I'm trying to envision a more, sort of less casual goose. At least having the option of a less casual goose.
maybe hard to explain. But, the dear reader who may be familiar with my attire, may be too aware of my general, lazy style tendencies. How does one with this affiction repent and evolve into something more... special... if you will.
but seriously. if I get nice shoes are they going to look stupid? Or am I worring too much. Like you know, how does one change I guess. I feel like I've always dressed the same. Will I ALWAYS be just casual lazy goose. Or can I CHANGE into a more special goose at special times...
maybe I need a nice massage and a few days off of work.
anyways.
????
any ideas

16-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baizilla
Because I didn't know what direction I wanted to go stylewise.. so I just bought a little of everything.. in the end, my wardrobe ended up looking like quite a mess and completely unorganized.. It looked like as if I was trying to go three different directions at once.

that's why about 90 % of my wardrobe is basic, classic (boring) items in different colors, slacks & pencil skirts, straight leg jeans, turtlenecks, vneck sweaters, cardis and buttondowns and then I can experiment with trends for the other 10% and not feel like I'm too invested, and once I'm over it, it can go to goodwill, or into storage till it feels fresh again.

16-10-2006
V.I.P.

Chic is back in for me, I just love being all buttoned up, with cool shoes, a great scarf, great sunglasses.

Im in the same boat as Baizilla, a schizophrenic closet. I have super-trendy pieces which urk me somewhat but at the same time I have very clean and classic pieces, which urk me too, I have to mix them properly. The other day I wore trendy jeans, teeshirt, scarf and sneakers all together...Overkill.

Once again I want a pair of great boots, I dont know if I want riding anymore, the look is impossibly chic, though, Im concerned I might not be able to pull them off. I found a great pair of riding boots from Hermes that are absolute heaven....HEAVEN...God, I can always find something at Hermes. I settled on the YSL Scotty boot, they sold out though, they were perfect...I dont want Dior Homme because they're way too trendy...

Also I need a new pair of gloves, I dont know what color...They must be leather. Im thinking deep purple, deep red, black, perhaps a turquoise. They must fit very well, I dont want them to be baggy, especially in the fingers.

Last edited by Diorling; 16-10-2006 at 10:47 PM.

16-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:

I feel like that too- not so much that I'm shy, but that I'm confident because being impeccably dressed is part of who I am.

- in a sense, dressing well is like body armor- it hides my flaws and lets me project an image of polish and sophistication, and thats how I feel when other people see me that way

But if I were to let it slide, even for a day, it would reveal to other people my flaws, and weakness, and would break the image.

17-10-2006
botanizing on the asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemaster
very interesting bella.
I like music too.
so heres my question... about me.
so I'm wanting to buy a pair of nice (read $) leather boots or shoes or something.
My deal is, I'm trying to envision a more, sort of less casual goose. At least having the option of a less casual goose.
maybe hard to explain. But, the dear reader who may be familiar with my attire, may be too aware of my general, lazy style tendencies. How does one with this affiction repent and evolve into something more... special... if you will.
but seriously. if I get nice shoes are they going to look stupid? Or am I worring too much. Like you know, how does one change I guess. I feel like I've always dressed the same. Will I ALWAYS be just casual lazy goose. Or can I CHANGE into a more special goose at special times...
maybe I need a nice massage and a few days off of work.
anyways.
????
any ideas
Great post.
I have the same problem in reverse--circumstances have changed, and I find myself without any casual attire. Too many skirts and heels--I almost feel uptight, too dressed up.
It is hard to change, isn't it? Especially when you have a look that suits you and your body....But it's always possible--of course you can be a more special goose. :p That's the great thing about clothes, the way they allow us to metamorphose on occasion.
I think the shoes are a good idea, but be sure you get some nice trousers as well. Nice shoes can look odd if you are wearing very sloppy/casual pants. Then you build slowly from there.
The massage sounds good too, though.

17-10-2006
little soul

I know what I love...but sometimes it's hard to put it together. Half of me feels like I can just wear what I want, but the other half worries that it's too 'dressed up' or old for my age. But I love chic-ness and luxury. To me, there's nothing better than wearing a trench, cashmere and great shoes. But it's all got to be totally simple...hopefully I can get better at not wasting my money on things I'll wear once!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
discussion, general, personal, style