How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2005
Swim Upstream

Personal Style: Questions and Answers
sorry if there is a thread on this type of topic already.....I did do a search but I couldn't really find anythingthing that 'fitted' what I wanted. But mods, do feel free to move this to wherever you deem appropriate.

I wanted to start a thread where we could ask questions of relating to issues of personal style - possible outfits/colour combinations/ shapes with a view to getting input on these form all the stylish tFS'ers out there. All ideas, views and opinions would be most welcome & do feel free to be open & honest.

ok....this is my question. I am trying to put together an outfit consisting of.....

baggy slouchy blue jeans
sludge brown polo neck
velvet flower (pinned either to neck or hip)
burgundy flats

and here is my problem....would a black short thick synthetic fabric comme jacket with scalloped hem (slight biker style) be incongruous with the slouchy sludge feel of the rest of the outfit. Is black too severe? would I be better with grey or a camel jacket? or does the black sharpen it?

your help would be appreciated.....:p

Last edited by helena; 22-02-2005 at 03:14 PM.

22-02-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

i think camel is too 'match-y'
grey could work...but i do think that black will sharpen it and give it an edge...
like punctuation...

22-02-2005
Swim Upstream

yes I think i have a tendancy to me too matchy matchy - the black works in terms of cutting down how many jackets I have to take with me on my trip. thanks for your input......

22-02-2005

oh...it's for paris...then definitely the black!!...

22-02-2005
Swim Upstream

cheers dolly......yes for paris. trying to plan what to take. forecast is for snow so that scuppers things somewhat......

22-02-2005

oh boy...snow!...that's tricky...

22-02-2005
Swim Upstream

and shitty

12-04-2005
Swim Upstream

reviving this thread....post any style questions & answers here including pics of stuff you have bough or have questions about integrating into your wardrobe.....

12-04-2005
rising star

Okay, I have a question

I work in WFM and they have a pretty casual dress code. How can I dress 'casual' w/o looking frumpy and dumpy? Anything I wear seems to either be too dressy or I look like I rolled out of bed w/o trying :p

trendsetter

I have a question too. My mother gave me a baggy tee with a psicodhelic print in pink and black, and I like it very much, but I'm much thiner than my mother and it's too baggy. I like it but I don't know how to wear it without feeling MK olsen in her homeless-looking days. I've tried with black leggings but it's too 80s, and the only way I feel good is with cropped skinny jeans. So, have you any more suggestions?

12-04-2005
V.I.P.

Yppe, have you tried to shrink it? Maybe that would help with the size...

Otherwise, you could cinch it at the waist with a wide blk belt to make it more fitted. If it's big enough, you may even be able to wear it as a mini dress. Maybe with black tights and your ballet flats (know this from the "What are you wearing thread.." ) BTW, I always like your look. Seems very mod to me. Cute!

12-04-2005
trendsetter

Thanks Curious, I'll try it with a belt because I find it so difficult to shrink.
I like your idea of the mini-dress very much because that tee would be great with black tights and ballet flats, but unfortunately it is too short.

12-04-2005
backstage pass

Yppe: I think it would be cute with a big belt over it, worn low on the hips. I would do a mini skirt with leggings underneath and ballet flats or heels.

Naimah: It depends on what you have in your closet, experiement. If you have on a dressy shirt, wear it with cords to dress it down. If you have a casual skirt wear it with a nice shirt to dress it up a little. It sounds like you just need to mix and match your pieces. Also try accessorizing if you have a way too casual outfit, accessorize it and make it dressier.

www.styleisagift.com
www.myspace.com/styleisagift
12-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego
Naimah: It depends on what you have in your closet, experiement. If you have on a dressy shirt, wear it with cords to dress it down. If you have a casual skirt wear it with a nice shirt to dress it up a little. It sounds like you just need to mix and match your pieces. Also try accessorizing if you have a way too casual outfit, accessorize it and make it dressier.
Thank you will try!

rising star

Naimah, I totally agree with San Diego. A huge thing is accessories. They can really elevate a plain outfit. I wouldn't worry too much about feeling like you're too dressed up. I Wear whatever makes you feel great and pulled together.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
answers, personal, questions, style