The Plus Size Thread - All are welcome! - #2 - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-11-2014
backstage pass

I'm not sure there is any true innovation in plus size clothing - yet. The shapes and cuts on the racks at the moment are hardly new; the difference is that they are now seen as acceptable on larger bodies thanks to bloggers, Crystal Renn's entire career at a size 12/14, and editorials in the groundbreaking V Magazine Size issue and the various Elle magazine special curve issues. But let's remember - those weren't plus size garment the girls were wearing in any of those photos. No no no. No Marina Rinaldi in that lot unless it was an ad for the company! How is any plus size designer supposed to aspire to create something really wonderful if magazines will always reject them because 'our readers aren't fat and if they are, here's a diet they should be on' ?

I have to say, I am really happy with my body when I'm naked, but the lack of larger sized options that match my personal style is endlessly frustrating, which ultimately comes back to size anxiety because there's nothing for me on the racks. It's quite the Catch 22.

So I ask - what brand would you buy in a heartbeat, no matter the cost, if they offered your size and were an exact match for your style? Let's play Fashion Fantasy!

Right now, mine is Gucci (am dead for pastel leathers and blue python boots right now). The Fall RTW 2014 colour palette is everything.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RingCircus View Post
I have seen a posting online somewhere (can't recall where but will link if I come across it again) in which a pattern maker explained the higher ratio of fabric wastage that comes from larger sizes. It is pretty much a case of customers paying more for what can't be used, rather than the garment being larger and needing more fabric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Thank you, that would be very interesting.
Fashionista-ta -
Thank you for asking me to go search for this article - this website had a lot of great reading on it for me and I had not even realized I'd lost the link to it!

The question of why plus size clothing costs more is broken down very well in this response, I think. I wish that more companies would take the time to explain it rather than simply say it costs more, or we put more money into R&D (which is simply not true) because that reinforces 'otherness' of larger sizes and still has a tinge of stigma to it.

Did you ever wonder... a size 2 is still the same price as a 14 in their regular lines but it's six sizes bigger....things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...-but-a-number/

Last edited by 3RingCircus; 14-11-2014 at 06:19 PM.
14-11-2014
backstage pass

You might all be interested to read this one as well - the comments are also a good read

There's no such thing as 'Vanity Sizing'

V.I.P.

^Very interesting. Thank you for posting the link

#Resist

Thanks for the link. That's really interesting, including the comments.

Here's another article from the same blog about the difficulties of an existing line adding plus sizes: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...dd-plus-sizes/

06-01-2016
tfs star

*blows dust of this thread*

Does anyone have any experience with Violetta by Mango? I just got my first buys from them: a cardigan and a part of pants and the sizes confuse me a bit I also wonder how the sizes in the Violetta range compare to those in the ordinary Mango range - if anyone knows anything, I'd love to hear

#Resist

Beth Ditto's first collection is now available ... at Luisaviaroma for one.

01-05-2017
rising star

I've been a full-time Designer in the Fashion Industry for almost 10 years, and recently handed in my notice to go freelance.
However, I saw an opening for a Plus-Size designer role, and after meeting the team and hearing their ideas for the brand, I felt really excited about Fashion again... a new market, a new 'girl' to design for. Very excited to start this new job!

I've read through a ton of the comments on this thread and the first one, and I couldn't believe how limited the choices were for plus-size clothing.

My best friend has always been plus-size and when I was doing research for a project for this job role, I asked her what she looked for the most... her reply was so simple.. "I want the same stuff you wear but for my size"

01-05-2017
#Resist

^ Good luck in your new job!

IMO, as someone who isn't plus size but could often use a more generous cut in the size I am, I think it's not quite that simple. (I think I've mentioned this point in this thread before.) The further you get from a 'coat hanger,' the more variation there is in body shape.

Some women are busty, some are not. Some want to emphasize their waists, and some do not. Some women have a round rear, others flat. You have your pears, you have your apples, you have your rectangles ... and when you get to plus size, these differences just matter much more, especially if you want the clothes to be flattering.

Often a line caters to just one body type, but I tremendously admired Alber Elbaz's Lanvin for having something for everyone. It meant that I couldn't wear everything in the line, but neither could my opposite ... and there was always something for both of us.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, size, thread