How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

21-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx
What is the quality at Torrid like? Is it kind of an H&M-esque thing? There isn't one any where near me so I can't go check out the stuff personally.

My issue is with quality. Stores like H&M seem to stock larger sizes but alot of times I've found that the quality is either cheap or just plain awful.

Which designers stock plus sizes? Most designers seem to cut off at size 10 -12 but I've heard that:

- Chanel : Up to size 20 I read this in the Vogue Shape issue correct me if I'm wrong, I wonder since I know sir Karl's feelings on anyone who isn't whippet thin
- Oscar De La Renta : Up to size 20
- Marc Jacobs : Size 14
- Burberry : Size 16

Any others?

I'm seriously considering putting together a blog about high quality plus sized fashions. I know there are fabulous things out there, we just have to find them

It pisses me off that NONE of the hip denim lines caters to larger sizes. Absolutely none, its downright annoying. I don't see why its so had to find a nice pair of jeans and/or why one should be stuck with limited options when there's a huge boom in denim right now.
Chanel does go up to 20, but I think that's the classic suits we're talking about. And the high-fashion folks who skew older in their clientele do go up to 20 -- I have seen Chado Ralph Rucci, Bill Blass and Oscar de la Renta 20s at Last Call Neiman Marcus and Off Fifth.
Armani Collezioni goes up to 16.
All are missy fits. For woman fit, I think of Marina Rinaldi (a MaxMara unit).
I am mainly a bridge sportswear wearer, but I'm an older careerist. I have my own complaints, but I will keep them quiet.

21-05-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettogirl84
UK 10 is a US 6

US 10 is a UK 14
I wear a Dorothy Perkins size 18. So this makes me a US 14?

Thanks.

21-05-2006
V.I.P.

umm, Dorthy Perkins? I guess is that a british designer? if so then your conversion would be right- though sizing varies even from brand to brand in every country...

21-05-2006
front row

yup, it's a UK brand.

www.dorothyperkins.co.uk

21-05-2006
V.I.P.

wow! I really love this stuff! and it's pretty cheap too-

too bad they ship to uk only

21-05-2006
front row

Yeah. They have really nice stuff. And its a pity they ship to UK only. I live in the Philippines so I try to just catch their stuff in the Dorothy Perkins stores here. There's this one shirt I really wanted - it had a mock vest over a pinstriped shirt and necktie. So so cool. But I didn't catch it when it was available here.

22-05-2006
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic1908
Chanel does go up to 20, but I think that's the classic suits we're talking about. And the high-fashion folks who skew older in their clientele do go up to 20 -- I have seen Chado Ralph Rucci, Bill Blass and Oscar de la Renta 20s at Last Call Neiman Marcus and Off Fifth.
Armani Collezioni goes up to 16.
All are missy fits. For woman fit, I think of Marina Rinaldi (a MaxMara unit).
I am mainly a bridge sportswear wearer, but I'm an older careerist. I have my own complaints, but I will keep them quiet.
I didn't know that about Marina Rinaldi! Their other stuff runs extremely small (1-2 sizes), so it's a good think they have it

C'mon, air those complaints, let's hear 'em

22-05-2006
backstage pass

^^
OK. A preponderance of cropped pants (in mass plus stores) drives me nuts. I am 5'9" and long-legged. Give me a full-length pant any day.

Lack of dresses/suiting that comes in natural fibers. I love the sheath and jacket look you see on New York Social Diary. The ruffled/boho/romance look doesn't work for me.

And a specific one to me: Nordstrom in South Coast Plaza needs to have bridge stuff (for example, Tesori, Dana Buchman), NOT a predominance of "better/moderate" brands. You can get that mess at other places.

22-05-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic1908
^^
OK. A preponderance of cropped pants (in mass plus stores) drives me nuts. I am 5'9" and long-legged. Give me a full-length pant any day.

Lack of dresses/suiting that comes in natural fibers. I love the sheath and jacket look you see on New York Social Diary. The ruffled/boho/romance look doesn't work for me.
totally! I'm not only "big boned" but also very tall, and almost all my pants have to be ordered online to get enough length ( Cause I still love to wear heels... )

and the ruffled boho thing - Blech- I want to smoth and slim and streamline my shape, not make myself look like a baggy frilly sack...

23-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifa
thank you! so i would be a us 4 then..weird. i cannot believe such sizes as 0 exist, ugh! that's just unhealthy. i wouldn't consider uk 14 as even remotely near fat either..
Hi Tifa,

What you said is kind of sizist. There are people who are naturally size 0s because they're very fine boned (and definitely not sick)
. Usually, these people are a little shorter than average too. Another issue is the way things are sized. Retailers won't admit to vanity sizing, but in many clothing stores, a size 0 is really a size 2 according to their size charts.

23-05-2006
Power to the 99%

^ True, many Asian women are tiny. I remember being a size 2 myself when I was in high school and I always ate whatever I wanted--like a horse really Ah, metabolism

23-05-2006
front row

Yeah, Asian women are tiny. Most at least. I am 5'7", and a US14, so imagine how difficult it is for me to buy inexpensive clothes here.

24-05-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28
Hi Tifa,

What you said is kind of sizist. There are people who are naturally size 0s because they're very fine boned (and definitely not sick)
. Usually, these people are a little shorter than average too. Another issue is the way things are sized. Retailers won't admit to vanity sizing, but in many clothing stores, a size 0 is really a size 2 according to their size charts.
of course. i don't doubt that for a second. it's just the name size 0, it's like it doesn't exist and you know that thin obsessed celebrities and fans are going to covet that. but to me, if i was a size 0 unnaturally i'd be very worried about my health.

24-05-2006
Power to the 99%

^ That's an interesting point about "zero" ... I remember a woman when I worked in retail telling me she was a "perfect 10," so I didn't need to worry about which size would fit her, it would always be 10

25-05-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifa
of course. i don't doubt that for a second. it's just the name size 0, it's like it doesn't exist and you know that thin obsessed celebrities and fans are going to covet that. but to me, if i was a size 0 unnaturally i'd be very worried about my health.
When you're very small, you really don't care what size you are. You just want clothes that fit. I don't really look at numbers, I just take the smallest size I can find and pray that I won't be swimming in it.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, thread