How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

29-07-2006
V.I.P.

I think shirts with a short 'cut in sleve' are very ok for bigger arms, just an idea. (like this)

29-07-2006
V.I.P.

And another thing, texastess, you sound kind of unsecure about the way you will look at the wedding, but I (as an plussize myself) can promise you that you look 10 times better if you feel good about yourself. So my tip is, relax, go to a spa or something the day before, make sure your hair and make-up looks good, and you will look great, and others will notice that! Good luck with everything and have fun!

29-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastess
If I can find a dress like this in my size will it look terrible on a size 12/14.
I don't think so!
It depends where you cary your weight. if you have a defined waistline, a dress like that will flatter your curves-

Like Kan-i-ta said, being relaxed and comfortable in your own skin counts for a lot

29-07-2006
backstage pass

I do have a very defined waist.

Thanks for everybodys help! I have to get used to myself at this size and I am extremely self-conscious. I'm trying to work past that.

29-07-2006
V.I.P.

well then in a wrap dress you'll look supersexy! I'm sure

31-07-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmelanie
im kind of resurrecting this thread..or attempting too..but i just wanted to know if any of you guys wear skinny jeans? i have straight leg jeans and i love them..especially with my white hi top all stars...

This is me in my Dorothy Perkins skinny jeans. UK 16

31-07-2006
backstage pass

I haven't tried the skinny jean style yet, though I really like the look when I see it. Because I'm both short and plus size I'll most likely stick with boot cut jeans or trouser style jeans with heels even though boot cut is supposedly out right now. Those styles just give me a longer line, especially the trouser style, which are difficult to find.

06-08-2006
backstage pass

What do you think of this dress for a wedding?

06-08-2006
V.I.P.

I think that dress would be really lovely

06-08-2006
backstage pass

As a tallish tweener (missy up top, generally plus on bottom because of 20-inch, muscular thighs and large butt), I don't want to do the skinny jeans. It veers into the dangerous tapered pant look on me. I am going to stick with bootcuts.

06-08-2006
backstage pass

I love the dress Texastess. It's very chic and timeless and can be dressed up with accessories. You'll be able to get more than one wearing out of it and I tend to like clothing like that.

Also as an FYI I just received fall catalogs from Boden USA and J. Crew. Though these catalogs certainly aren't traditionally plus size they both had some interesting items that would work on largers frames. The Boden USA catalog has some great Kimono style dresses, wrap dresses and pencil skirts. Their sizing is British so a size 20 equals a US size 18. The catalog and website contain a size conversion chart. I've purchased items from them before and find their items to be be well made for the price.

The J. Crew catalog had some beautiful riding boots with extended calf sizes. They looked like they would cost much more than their price.

I'd post pictures but am really not sure how to do it. Sorry.

06-08-2006
V.I.P.

I love JCrew online- you can find a lot of nice thing for size 14-16 there

AND size 11 shoes

06-08-2006
backstage pass

^^
I have even seen size 12 J. Crew shoes online/catalog.

I like getting the cashmere sweaters on sale there, particularly when they have an extra 20% off on final sale. I got one in jade, and am thinking about one in pink.
As an older poster, I'd like to see what Forth and Towne is going to be like. I know they're opening in L.A. and there's talk about San Diego. Forth and Towne has 18s and 20s in store -- unlike parent Gap, which only has those sizes online and at the outlets. I'd love to see Banana extend sizes, but I doubt that will happen as long as they are trend-ish and fashion-driven. I can get into most BR 16/XL tops, sweaters and jersey dresses. Forget the pants.

06-08-2006
backstage pass

Classic1908, do you know if Forth and Towne is going to have an on-line portal? I'm about 5 hours from the LA area and don't get there often. I do get to the Bay Area to shop about twice a year. I'm "of a certain age" as well (45) so I utilize many of the catalogs and web sites for purchasing classics. I would also love to see Banana Republic expand their size range. I'm just out of their XL size but I check their web site and stores for styling ideas.

06-08-2006
backstage pass

I have looked at J. Crew and they have some great things. Problem is, I think I will need sleeves since it may get a bit chilly in Monterey. I have a Talbots nearby and while their clothes are usually a bit mature looking, I am going to see if they have a few wrap dresses I can try on.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, thread