How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

15-06-2005
tfs star

^^^ Do you mean jeans size 34? Excuse my ignorance...I'm always having to compare US/UK/Euro sizes and then jeans sizes are different...and euro size 34 pair of trousers is a very different matter to a pair of size 34 jeans

16-06-2005
backstage pass

I believe thats European sizing

www.styleisagift.com
www.myspace.com/styleisagift

23-06-2005
scenester

Glad I found this post! I can also trace my love of shoes, bags, and all things sparkly to the fact that shopping for clothes in my size is frustrating. I was so happy when Ann Taylor and Banana Republic starting carrying size 16. It is still hit or miss with the jackets being cut to small in the arms and chest or pants to slim through the hips but it gives me hope. I detest going to Lane Bryant and looking at plus size clothes that look more like maternity clothes. Just because I'm not a size 8 doesn't mean I want to hide under an unshapley sack. I recently recieved a catalog from Boden a UK company that carried extended sizes. Haven't ordered from them but the stuff looks cute.

24-06-2005
backstage pass

Absolutely fabulous, girls! I've been batteling with my size since I first time went to shopping.. Now I'm stuck to the large or extra large clothes that don't fit. I've made some unbeliavable bargains from fleamarkets, like my wintercoat for 3 euros. Im Uk size 14. Some of my blazers have been re-tailored to fit me, and that really makes the difference!!
Try it! I'm sure that some frien of a friend knows a student who would love to do it really cheap. :p

14-07-2005
backstage pass

love this coat

www.styleisagift.com
www.myspace.com/styleisagift

17-07-2005
windowshopping

San Diego you are awesome for starting this thread . I thought I'd have to stick to the shoes and handbag forums.

Does anyone remember the plus-size fashion magazine MODE? It was around for 3 or 4 years I think. It was so great and I found out about a lot of great designers who work in larger sizes. I'm sad it stopped publication.

Anyway, my favourite designer I discovered in MODE is Anna Scholz. She's UK based and does sizes 6-26, all in one line which I think is great. She has a high end line that is appearing slowly at a few Saks stores, but not the one where I live, so it's hard to get her stuff here. I got a few pieces from her lower priced line she produced for Debenham's in the UK a few years ago, and I still wear them to death, including a beautiful embellished tunic which fits right in with the current boho trend. I don't think she does that line any more though.

21-07-2005
windowshopping

The Salon Z manager at my local Saks called me this morning to tell me that Anna Scholz isn't being carried by Saks anymore. The line was discontinued at the Beverly Hills store two months ago. Oh well. It was nice of her to check on it for me.

just thought I'd give this thread a bump.

03-08-2005
windowshopping

Plus size
I've been frustrated at trying to buy fashionable, flattering clothes for so long that I'm thinking quite seriously about starting my own line. I would love to hear comments on what you can't find or what you hate about what you can find.

04-08-2005
backstage pass

im a plus size girl but i would not feel comfortable wearing those dresses
i always put a jacket or blazer on
dont just wear a tshirt

04-08-2005
Power to the 99%

I am a US 10, have worn previously up to 14, and I have (as discussed elsewhere) both a shape and a figure flaw so I have some personal understanding of the problem. I have a friend who wears plus sizes, and I help her shop, have for years. I'm a fan of Salon Z, and another place to surprisingly find some pretty good stuff is Talbots' women's store. Last time we were there she got this really cute kneeish length floral skirt that was this beautiful muted print.

Completely agree with As You Like It, shopping with her I've seen a huge variety of figures--very pear-shaped, small shoulders. Very prominent shoulders. Butt, no butt. Tummy, no tummy. Prominent thighs, proportional thighs. Bust, or not much. Not every line, though, refuses to take a "position" on the plus-size figure. I know from countless hours in dressing rooms with my friend that some brands/designers work, and others don't. Talbots works well for her, and she got some really beautiful jackets (one was an Ellen Tracy red wool zipper front that she's gotten tons of compliments on) and things at Salon Z. She has also bought from Nordstrom's women's dept, but I'm not so impressed with them. She did get some really pretty animal print silk charmeuse pajamas there, though. She also likes Lord & Taylor, but they never had a big presence here & are gone now (I don't miss 'em ). I think she has gotten some things at Macy's too??

04-08-2005
Fierce Flava

I just went with a plus sized friend shopping and wow....there's so little selection of stores and a lot of the clothes are frumpy and unflattering.

I could have sworn I've seen a plus sized style magazine before...I unfortunately don't know the name or see it often, but that might help some people...Oh, I do hope someone knows what I'm talking about and mentions it because I think it'll benefit a lot of you women.

04-08-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyCool
We don't only want clothes that are "big enough"...we'd like clothing that enhances what we have and makes us beautiful
Absolutely. I envy fuller women for looking so good in many of my favorite styles like corsets, ethnic and period costume. Just look at Renoir, Reubens,...A friend of mine was organizing a fashion show of flowy caftans and ethnic evening gowns. She specified that she did NOT want thin models for the runway as they would "drown" in the fabric and not highlight the lovely drapes and embroidery. I really admire you for insisting on finding nice clothing and looking gorgeous despite the odds unnecesarily presented by the market.

05-08-2005
windowshopping

There was a plus-size style magazine called Mode that I mentioned in my previous post. It stopped publication a few years ago. There is one now called Figure, but it's mostly just adds for Lane Bryant, Catherine's, Fashion Bug etc. It doesn't have much in the way of editorial content. If there are any other mags out there, I'd definitely like to take a look.

06-08-2005
windowshopping

Nightline story
Last night on Nightline, they did a story on plus-size fashion in connection to actress/comedienne Mo'nique's plus-size beauty pageant (Fat Chance) which airs tonight on Oxygen network.

So a few topics that came up: This W. Hollywood boutique owner (a plus-size woman herself) talked about how her store only caters to smaller women (size 4-6 range) and that she felt noone bigger than size 10 should ever wear jeans! I found this attitude shocking. I know we all have things we don't feel comfortable wearing (I don't much like showing my arms in something sleeveless), but having the attitude that you should be telling other people what they should or shouldn't wear?! Very crass comment, I thought.

An executive of the Hot Topic clothing chain (a plus-size woman again) was interviewed about the emergence of her company's Torrid stores. She expressed the fact that even though it's a good step that stores like Torrid are providing more current fashionable plus-size options, she personally still feels unwelcome in stores every day because of her size.

Mo'nique spoke about the derogatory use of the word 'fat' and how she's faced discrimination in Hollywood, but never allowed herself to buy into that mindset; she embraces the word 'fat'. I personally am not a fan of the word, but I think she made some good points.

So did any of you see this story? Would any of you tune in to see Fat Chance? I definitely plan to watch. I think the winner gets a brand new wardrobe from 'Just My Size,' which has never been a favourite brand of mine. They always seemed to specialize in kinda boring basics and mumsy stuff. But I guess they are the sponsors. What designers would you like to see featured in a show about plus-size fashion/beauty?

06-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyCool
Excellent post from As You Like It...thank you

It is also so hard to shop online when you're the top of the "normal" range like me....with some designers on NAP I'm US size 12,but I've just had to return 2 size 10 garments in a row because of the way-too-enormous-and-shapeless factor.The big size just didn't fit like the garment they had on that horribly skinny plastic model at all . It just...billowed or hung there.

Sorry for using this post to rant!!

As You Like It,do you have some examples of your plus size work?

You have to look at the back of the mannequin. A lot of the times, they pin the clothes in the back to give the garment more of a shape (because they dont make larger mannequins)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, thread