The Plus Size Thread - All are welcome! - Page 50 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
20-12-2007
backstage pass

The weight loss thing has really been the result of my doctor kindly suggesting that it would be good for my heart (I'm 46 so now's the time) so it's really been health focused as opposed to looks focused. I do still have a good bottle of wine with dinner I just do it less often, but I make sure it's a much better wine than I used to drink.

I'm much more interested in fashion than in weight loss so I won't bore myself anymore by talking about it. I truly do support all women in our efforts to be fashionable at whatever size we are.

Petite-plus is also an untapped market along with high fashion contemporary. Talbots is the only shop I'm aware of in the US which has a petite-plus line with sizes going up to US 24 (UK 26/28). I have purchased basic slacks from them because I can get the rise and length to fit but that's about it. I'd love to be able to purchase more exciting items that are better proportioned for me.

Welcome from me to all new posters on our thread!

20-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
The weight loss thing has really been the result of my doctor kindly suggesting that it would be good for my heart (I'm 46 so now's the time) so it's really been health focused as opposed to looks focused. I do still have a good bottle of wine with dinner I just do it less often, but I make sure it's a much better wine than I used to drink.

I'm much more interested in fashion than in weight loss so I won't bore myself anymore by talking about it. I truly do support all women in our efforts to be fashionable at whatever size we are.

Petite-plus is also an untapped market along with high fashion contemporary. Talbots is the only shop I'm aware of in the US which has a petite-plus line with sizes going up to US 24 (UK 26/28). I have purchased basic slacks from them because I can get the rise and length to fit but that's about it. I'd love to be able to purchase more exciting items that are better proportioned for me.

Welcome from me to all new posters on our thread!
The only other petite plus I've seen is Jones New York, which is a basic, not a fashion brand, sort of on the lines of Talbots. INC Woman has a handful of plus-petite items, mainly their basic pants. It definitely is a less-tapped market when it comes to quality stuff.

20-12-2007
V.I.P.

^ Jones New York often has a fashion-friendly color palette ...

PS LaurieAnn, sounds like some great finds on sale

20-12-2007
scenester

LaurieAnn, congrats on the downsizing! It's rarely easy & you should be very proud.

I had a WTF moment @ the Las Vegas Outlets Monday afternoon. A pretty cowl-necked sweater @Neiman Marcus Last Call was talking to me, but unfortunately the largest they had in stock was a size 6. The WTF happened when I looked at the size tag on the garment: large/grande. I wish I could remember the designer. A 6 is a large now. That blew my mind.

20-12-2007
V.I.P.

^ My guess is one of the tags was wrong ... I've seen that sometimes, and it does land garments on the sale rack when it happens.

20-12-2007
front row

I'm happy - I just discovered I'm a Banana Rep/Gap 12.

Shallow no?

21-12-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ My guess is one of the tags was wrong ... I've seen that sometimes, and it does land garments on the sale rack when it happens.
Actually I'm sure they had it in the right place. Even Lane Bryan stocks 10s now, if 6 is large, 8 would be XL, and yes, 10 would be plus.

21-12-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigone View Post

Shallow no?
I don't think that's shallow at all - congrats!

21-12-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigone View Post

Shallow no?
Beware, they cut generously, they're big on the vanity sizing.

21-12-2007
front row

^Haha yeah I know. But last month I was a Gap/Banana Rep 14. =)

21-12-2007
V.I.P.

Oh OK, congrats! :p

21-12-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cait View Post
Actually I'm sure they had it in the right place. Even Lane Bryan stocks 10s now, if 6 is large, 8 would be XL, and yes, 10 would be plus.
I have absolutely never heard of or seen a 6 being a large, a 6 is a small. I'm a 10 and 38DD and usually wear a medium top. A large is 12-14 or more (the American average as we all know).

Lane Bryant carrying 10s doesn't mean 10 is now a plus size. I don't shop there, but it may be a 10W. Lots of people, including me, can use a more generously cut size 10 or 12.

Given the choice between a world gone mad and a tagging mistake, my vote is for the latter

21-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I have absolutely never heard of or seen a 6 being a large, a 6 is a small. I'm a 10 and 38DD and usually wear a medium top. A large is 12-14 or more (the American average as we all know).

Lane Bryant carrying 10s doesn't mean 10 is now a plus size. I don't shop there, but it may be a 10W. Lots of people, including me, can use a more generously cut size 10 or 12.

Given the choice between a world gone mad and a tagging mistake, my vote is for the latter
I've seen 10W with Rinaldi and Elekta by Maska. I'm surprised that more people don't do a 10 or 12W.

22-12-2007
backstage pass

Surely if one can't fit a regular 10 then a size 12 is the answer, not creating 10W. Now THAT is vanity sizing!

22-12-2007
fashion insider

Hey guys. Wouldn't a plus size woman be equivalent to the size of a small man? Most small men are a size 29-30 waist, isnt that the waist size of a plus size woman, well the starting waist size or am I wrong?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, thread