How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-01-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Bigger pic of Marjorie's outfit at Chanel.
I would have worn it differently but I love the beautiful neckline.

[deleted quoted image]

Image Credit | Park Avenue Peerage
The neckline and jewels make the dress. I would have worn it with silver shoes and bag, instead of black. When I see things like this, it makes me either wish I had more money or could sew. I love sheath dresses even though my figure is hourglassy. That's why a good tailor is a must.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 28-01-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: please see tFS guidelines

27-01-2008
God Save McQueen

the jeweled neckline of the dress is gorgeous. its almost there, but there is still something missing.

27-01-2008
backstage pass

classic1908, I agree with you 100% about a good tailor being a must. I am finally getting the hang of determining a good fit in the shoulders on a jacket or coat and then letting my tailor shorten sleeves and add darts if necessary. Slacks that fit well in the rise often gap at the waist on me because I have a rather flat butt, so they go the the tailor for darts. Everything fits so much better.

Next month I'm taking in two good quality linen cotton/jackets to have the sleeves shorten to make them 3/4 length. They fit fine now but will have a fresher, more dressy look with the shorter sleeve length.

28-01-2008
front row

The neckline is beautiful, but I sort of want to ... tug it down a tad? Is that just a problem with the corsetry/undergarments she's wearing? Hmmm

28-01-2008
downtown girl uptown life

Ohhh! I just found this thread and I love it. I'm a size 12 these days with a bit of a buddha belly. I'm not graced with large breasts, so I just tend to give the impression of pregnancy. (Ugh... I hate when people ask. ) I Love all your advice on tailoring!

28-01-2008
backstage pass

SAG Awards, featuring petite plus women
Image credits: Yahoo! News

Nicole Blonsky. Love the color, not sure of the overall silhouette:

Chandra Wilson:

But since I'm tall, I have to add Sara Ramirez:

28-01-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSetGo! View Post
Ohhh! I just found this thread and I love it. I'm a size 12 these days with a bit of a buddha belly. I'm not graced with large breasts, so I just tend to give the impression of pregnancy. (Ugh... I hate when people ask. ) I Love all your advice on tailoring!
Welcome

I guess now we need details of your purple jeans

Btw, we have a curvy thread around here somewhere, but it was never as popular as this one, so this one kind of serves both. I may see about resurrecting it ...

28-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Welcome
I guess now we need details of your purple jeans
Thank you!

You are funny. My purple jeans are from Urban Outfitters (BDG). I have them in several colors.

I 'm shaped kind of like a V (minus boobs ). Since my belly is the biggest part of me, I have to get a big size to fit around my middle, then belt them tight enough so they don't slide down, which they do anyway. It's kind of ridiculous... Grrr.

And now I'm shopping for a wedding dress, and let me tell you it ain't fun.

28-01-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Thanks, I may have to check them out

I hear you ... my figure has a similar "flaw." I feel that stress is a factor for me (I imagine you're familiar with that research?), and to that end I take liquid vitamin B. I also try to make sure I'm getting enough fiber ... lately I've been eating whole wheat/flax seed waffles for breakfast. They're really yummy ... taste much better that the white/cardboard ones

It can be a good thing to chat with your dr about as well ...

28-01-2008
V.I.P.

I loved Chandra's look, just not from that angle. Nikki Blonsky looks awful. It's like a really horrible prom dress She should've take a cue from America Ferrari (who looked GORGEOUS )

Sara looks great as usual. She has the advantage of height, toned arms and a true hourglass shape. Though, Nikki Blonsky's height really isn't an excuse because Chandra and America are itty bitty as well.

28-01-2008
backstage pass

classic1908, thanks for the photos. I think the silhouette is fine on Niki Blondsky but I think the fabric could be heavier. Chandra looks good and Sara is lovely.

Welcome JetSetGo. I have the belly issue as well and it does make it hard to find clothing that fits well. Would love to have a more hourglass frame with a flatter stomach, but that is just not to be. I must admit though, that I've been eating much healthier the last several months and it has helped me lose inches around the middle, which is a good place to lose for health reasons.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 28-01-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: please see tFS guidelines

28-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
Welcome JetSetGo. I have the belly issue as well and it does make it hard to find clothing that fits well. Would love to have a more hourglass frame with a flatter stomach, but that is just not to be. I must admit though, that I've been eating much healthier the last several months and it has helped me lose inches around the middle, which is a good place to lose for health reasons.
Thank you. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Eating healthier is great. I have totally quit "dieting" and am just trying to accept my body for what it is, and feed it what it wants. Has anyone heard of Geneen Roth? She's been a big inspiration to me to stay off the scale and listen to what my hunger is really telling me.

And while I so wish my body was more of an hourglass shape, I feel very lucky to be a happy and healthy person. And knowing that, I really try not to obsess about my imperfections.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 28-01-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: please see tFS guidelines

28-01-2008
backstage pass

Isn't Marjorie in the same white dress as the last image on the previous page?? It's still her posture. There's something about her shoulders... stand tall woman, you're wearing Chanel!!

I like Sara Ramirez's dress but her figure looks completely corseted into submission. At least Chandra and Nikki look like they can breathe without cracking a rib!

Last edited by 3RingCircus; 28-01-2008 at 04:23 PM.

28-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RingCircus View Post
Isn't Marjorie in the same white dress as the last image on the previous page?? It's still her posture. There's something about her shoulders... stand tall woman, you're wearing Chanel!!
Yes, she's a bit slouched and sad looking.
Prop 'em up, girl!

28-01-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Better posture would be good, but failing that, better tailoring for how she's actually going to wear the dress w/b good

Nikki always has such a gorgeous smile on her face

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, thread