How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-08-2005
windowshopping

Jaffa, I wish I had seen the nightline piece. I don't understand why that lady thinks no one over 10 should wear jeans. I've seen lots of larger women look very sexy in jeans. I don't think they work for me, but that's mainly because I can't find ones that fit right. I missed Fat Chance, but I will try to catch it. Just my size doesn't seem like much of a prize. I think Gianfranco Ferre, Tom and Linda Platt or Kiyonna would have been a better pick. Or even have a designer do a custom wardrobe. That would have been cool.

08-08-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by renyoj
Just my size doesn't seem like much of a prize. I think Gianfranco Ferre, Tom and Linda Platt or Kiyonna would have been a better pick. Or even have a designer do a custom wardrobe. That would have been cool.
Those are some good choices renyoj. I didn't realize at the time, but the winner also got $50,000 in cash. So I guess now she can go shopping for some of those nicer designers.

12-08-2005
windowshopping

Does anyone know of independent designers that are designing specifically for Plus size women? I know there is Kiyonna, but anyone else?

12-08-2005
windowshopping

It's hard to tell who is independent, but there are a few out there like Tomatsu, Marina Rinaldi, Ulla Popken, Emme, Anna Scholz who specialize in plus-sizes. For workout/sportswear there's Junonia. A good site to check out is http://www.affinityfashion.com

They carry both plus-size designers, and other more mainstream designers who have plus-size lines like DKNY, Dana Buchman, Ferre, Ellen Tracy, Ralph Lauren, Carmen Marc Valvo etc.

Check out Sak's 5th Ave's Salon Z. They have more in the stores than what they show online, but you can get an idea at least.

18-08-2005
windowshopping

So pleased to have found this thread! I've been battling this problem for awhile and seem to be losing patience when it comes to finding nice clothes in larger sizes. This is particularly problematic since I have a rather large bosom. Anything that will actually span it's way over my cleavage ends up loosely draping everywhere else, making me look twice as big. : )

Up here in Canada there's very few options since I'm super hesitant to buy anything online without trying it on. But there is a store in Toronto called Volptuous that has a web site and also a store in Vancouver called Bodacious (www.bodacious.ca). The best part about Bodacious is that it's all local Vancouver designers who make small runs of their lines. The next In Style magazine has written up a piece about them.

03-09-2005
|/mirror queen\|

The clothes sizes also p*ss me! :p

Like for instance, you go to Mango and everything is really small, and then you go to H&M and everything seems the way a proper sizing should be...
And the trousers jeans in Zara are allways really small compared to the rest of the clothes.

I really donīt get it...Although with AsYouLikeIT explanation i understood a bit more.

I just hate to go into a shop and having to take at least 2 sizes of everything i want to try because the sizes vary so much.
I also donīt get how some shops say they do bigger sizes and then what they do is to reduce the normal sizes to tiny clothes!!!

Anyway, i really think that a size M is in fact a S and that if you go to the kids department you find that the top you just saw in the womens section is the size of a kids 10 year old shirt!!! Arenīt we suppose to grow up?!?!?!

To finish off my rant... I also donīt get why most of the pret a porter made is done for boobless women!...

03-09-2005
scenester

Just wanted to say that Im really glad I found this thread - I think it's great! I too, obviously, am plus sized, and live for fashion. I love to shop and have a lot of things custom made... thankfully, Im good friends with a few local designers

I like to look at being plus sized as a challenge to look good. Every morning is a challenge to look through my closet and put together cute outfits, make myself look amazing. A not-so-depressing way to look at it

03-09-2005
offline.

That's awesome that you're friends with Local designers... they should start up a plus-sized line!

03-09-2005
front row

i think designers don't pay enough attention to plus sizes and if they do design them most of the time they dont look like what other people are wearing at the moment, they think they have to look differnt when plus sizes should be what everyone else is wearing just in a bigger size.

27-09-2005
front row

I found two online plus size retailers that might be helpful. Don't beat me up if you don't like the clothes I think bacca has nice clothes with clean lines and their prices look reasonable.

http://www.bacca.com
http://www.monifc.com/

Last edited by bagsnthings; 27-09-2005 at 10:43 AM.

27-09-2005
front row

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renyoj
I've been frustrated at trying to buy fashionable, flattering clothes for so long that I'm thinking quite seriously about starting my own line. I would love to hear comments on what you can't find or what you hate about what you can find.
I'm the same way! I'm 20 and have a hard time finding "fashionable" clothes. I can still wear jr. sizes but I have a gut. It looks like I'm preggers (which, I've gotten The question a few times ). So, those expreiences have motivated me to think of what would look go on me. BAsically just average sizes in fashionable, flattering shapes.
But to really answwer your statement, I'd love to find something that hides my "spare tire". That'd be GREAT!

06-10-2005
windowshopping

Normally I just lurk, but I had to post this...

Crystal Renn, on the runway for Jean Paul Gaultier spring 06, from style.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crystal.jpg (51.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by cammie; 06-10-2005 at 04:16 PM.

11-10-2005
rising star

Great thread!

Luckily, it is easier to find fashionable plus-sized clothing these days. Everybody from Target to Saks Fifth Avenue has stuff - it all depends on your price range.

I like the old standards, like Lane Bryant. I tend to spend more on purses and shoes. It was good to see that other people on this thread do the same thing!

11-10-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeNatureLove
I'm the same way! I'm 20 and have a hard time finding "fashionable" clothes. I can still wear jr. sizes but I have a gut. It looks like I'm preggers (which, I've gotten The question a few times ). So, those expreiences have motivated me to think of what would look go on me. BAsically just average sizes in fashionable, flattering shapes.
But to really answwer your statement, I'd love to find something that hides my "spare tire". That'd be GREAT!
You might find (or ask for) some tips in the "curvy" thread

04-11-2005
front row

Curvy Plus Designer - Elena Miro

photos from elenamiro.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, thread