The Plus Size Thread - All are welcome! - Page 60 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
15-04-2008
backstage pass

^^
The clutch works, IMO, because it's sort of a warmish red. It looks like a Kara Ross, but I'm not sure.
Orange is a hard color for many people. I'm wearing a lot of it, now, rather than yellow. Yellow doesn't really work for me -- I am a cafe au lait colored African-American and yellow sort of makes me look sick. I like yellow on browner women, people of Angie Stone's complexion.

24-04-2008
V.I.P.

Just wanted to note that Jill Scott is in Allure's annual nude issue this month ... she loves the picture and said she was going to hang it in her home, but where the cable guy can't see it

24-04-2008
backstage pass

^^
I saw that. It's gotten mixed reactions on some of the African-American entertainment blogs -- people have complained that Jill is photoshopped. Well, everybody is photoshopped in fashion mags.

PHOTO CREDIT: NYSD.com
On the right is journalist/philanthropist Katie Tarbox, who runs an organization that donates prom dresses to girls in Washington, D.C. She looks plus -- I wish the photog had gotten a better shot of her dress. I love the jewel:

24-04-2008
V.I.P.

^ Yes, since it's a mainstream magazine, "details" were heavily airbrushed ... it's true that there's not much left after all of that, which always does look rather odd, to my eyes anyway. I haven't seen any of the blogs ... were they complaining about skintone? I wonder to what extent she herself influenced the editing?

24-04-2008
tfs star

I think it's beautiful picture but it is constructed somewhat oddly compared to the other photos in the shoot. You would think the point of the picture was to actually show her curves off in a beautiful way but instead she seems to be hiding

24-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frk-frost View Post
I think it's beautiful picture but it is constructed somewhat oddly compared to the other photos in the shoot. You would think the point of the picture was to actually show her curves off in a beautiful way but instead she seems to be hiding
I agree ... you expressed that well. Not a very accepting message, is it?

25-04-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I agree ... you expressed that well. Not a very accepting message, is it?
No, it's not. I'm actually rather disapointed. I expect this sort of thing from Vogue, not Allure

25-04-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Yes, since it's a mainstream magazine, "details" were heavily airbrushed ... it's true that there's not much left after all of that, which always does look rather odd, to my eyes anyway. I haven't seen any of the blogs ... were they complaining about skintone? I wonder to what extent she herself influenced the editing?
The complaints varied. Some felt they cut down her overall body. Many disliked her hair -- they prefer Jill w/curlier or natural hair. I didn't see any talk of skintone.

25-04-2008
V.I.P.

^ Oh dear, now I'm starting rumors I thought she possibly looked a little on the pale side, but maybe that was just the natural effect of the bright sunlight ...

I guess the bottom line is, they started with someone who is not conventional and ended up with a fairly innocuous, conventional, and very hazy result.

Surely she didn't have to be Photoshopped out of existence in order to create a beautiful picture? Perhaps what's really needed is a better photographer & stylist?

25-04-2008
backstage pass

^ That, and/or a better retoucher...it's not that difficult to touch up a photo and leave skin texture looking natural. It's a skill thing, not a 'style'. Also - being good with a computer program doesn't mean the same person has a good eye for what needs work in a photo - or that the retoucher has the final say in when a photo is 'good enough' to print.

That subtle lightening of the skin you perceive may be a result of a skin retouching process that tries to level out differences in skin tones (making dark tones lighter, light tones a little less so). Hence even white women will look a little paler...from www.telegraph.co.uk

25-04-2008
V.I.P.

^ Thanks, 3RingCircus ... I do see your point about skintone. And you also make a good point about the retoucher.

I know we could really use a visual here, but the reason I bring up the photographer & stylist is that the photo (if you haven't seen it) is dead on--probably a difficult pose for a curvaceous woman, as well as problematic for a magazine intent on not really showing anything. So the "cash & prizes" (as one tFSer refers to them :p) have to be airbrushed out ... but Jill was also left without a navel as far as I recall. You can see a bit of the curve of her abdomen & not too much more ...

So I felt that perhaps a more imaginative photographer and/or stylist could have come up with another pose that would meet the requirements of the magazine while still showing us the real person rather than a cafe au lait curvy haze with Jill's head on top ...

29-04-2008
backstage pass

^^
Good point.

Meanwhile, on another board I belong to, I found this link to a style blog, but it's in French, so I can only look at the pics. The author looks like a plusher, bigger Liv Tyler, IMO:

http://bigbeauty.over-blog.com/

29-04-2008
V.I.P.

^ You're right, she does look like Liv My favorite outfit is the hot-pink dress further down the main page ... and the pix of her with her dog She's a great example of how important attitude is--the most important accessory, don't leave home without it

29-04-2008
tfs star

That's a great find! She seems to have a great style and a lovely attitude - I wish you could buy that

29-04-2008
V.I.P.

^ I guess you have to be born with it, earn it, or both

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, thread