How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-11-2005
front row

Curvy Plus Designer - Elena Miro

photos from elenamiro.com

04-11-2005
scenester

How freaking gorgeous are those models??? I love those clothes, too. Gorgeous.

04-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Thanks, bagnthings I really like some of this ... particularly the green dress, the black dress, and the solid green and black separates ... quite nice!

04-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

my biggest problem with every single plus size runway show is that they try way too hard to make the girls seems soooooo sexy....
there is a mentality that if you are bigger, so are your boobs and butt...so you might as well show them off...
but i just think it's just cheap and unflattering...
those pencil skirts are just way too tight and it makes the girls looks like stuffed sausages...
**kind of how i look in a gucci dress......

i don't think it's very nice tha even on the runway they are squeezing girls into clothes a size too small...
i'd like everything better if it all fit better...

but thanks for the contribution ta-ta...
this thread doesn't see nearly enough action...

so-do we think there are a lot of girls who are a size 14-24 who are really fashion-oriented...
and with a budget that allows them to indulge...
is there really this huge untapped market for plus size women who aren't being serviced properly?...

i'm wondering......
what do you guys think?...

04-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
my biggest problem with every single plus size runway show is that they try way too hard to make the girls seems soooooo sexy....
there is a mentality that if you are bigger, so are your boobs and butt...so you might as well show them off...
but i just think it's just cheap and unflattering...
those pencil skirts are just way too tight and it makes the girls looks like stuffed sausages...
**kind of how i look in a gucci dress......

i don't think it's very nice tha even on the runway they are squeezing girls into clothes a size too small...
i'd like everything better if it all fit better...

but thanks for the contribution ta-ta...
this thread doesn't see nearly enough action...

so-do we think there are a lot of girls who are a size 14-24 who are really fashion-oriented...
is there really this huge untapped market for plus size women who aren't being serviced properly?...

i'm wondering......
Btw, bagsnthings posted the runway pics

Apparently The Gap thinks this is an important market ... and remember the stats with that story ... 70 PERCENT of women 35 and older are size 12 and above.

That's a huge number. Most of those women have jobs, have disposable income, and need clothes to wear to those jobs (not to mention the rest of their lives, but jobs are def not clothing optional :p).

The market is definitely not completely untapped, but it's definitely underserved.

I have friends and colleagues who are part of this market, and their wardrobes are definitely not all they could be ... and it's not because they're not spending money.

Now I wasn't a big fan of the pencil skirts either, but in general, I thought this was a very effective take on plus size, esp the looks I mentioned.

04-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

oops sorry-thanks for correcting me and thanks to :bagsnthings: for the pics...

04-11-2005
offline.

I'm a size 12... sometimes higher depending on how things are cut.

and yes, I think there is a HUGE MARKET for plus sized designer clothes... considering there are very few out there.

I'm glad Gap has at least realized this... a few other stores cater to size 12 and above too... but clothes shopping must've been HORRIFIC a few years ago for women my size.

04-11-2005
windowshopping

Yes, there really is a huge untapped market... sure, places like GAP and others are trying to fill some of the need (and bless them for their efforts), but as far as really special, well-cut pieces (as some designer items are) there are thousands of women out there waiting for that to be filled.

Many fashion savvy plus-size women have massive collections of great shoes and bags and other accessories not only out of a love of accessories, but because clothing of a comparable "level" just isn't out there in their size, and they don't have the time or the knowledge to go about creating it for themselves...

Last edited by cammie; 04-11-2005 at 10:20 PM.

07-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey

i'm wondering......
I agree, the clothes are very nice, but yes, now that you mentioned it the skirts are too tight. I agree that they should fit properly and be neither too tight or too loose.

Plus size choices have gotten better, but clothing manufacturers still have a longggg way to go. If you are size 0 to 6 you can be ultra chic, those options and wide range of choices are just not there for the plus size market. I know b/c I use to wear a size 12/14; so I know what the racks look like -- in comparation to the petite section of a fine department store.

Last edited by bagsnthings; 07-11-2005 at 10:30 AM.

07-11-2005
Power to the 99%

And just to be clear ... while apparently considering shocking! by many , sizes 12-14, and indeed a few sizes above (unless designated women's sizes), are misses or missy sizes, not plus sizes. But bagsnthings makes an excellent point ... even a size 12 is often considered outsize in the high-fashion market. I often have difficulty finding my size (10), which is astonishingly ridiculous in my book.

07-11-2005
front row

I was always under the impression that size 14 starts the plus size market. Ashley Stewart and Lane Bryant start at size 14 and clothing marked as "wide width" start at Sz 14 as well. Plus Size Models usually wear a size 12 and up

Last edited by bagsnthings; 07-11-2005 at 02:00 PM.

07-11-2005
tfs star

Yes,but ta-ta is right: many designers do not stock size 10-12.And what enrages me even more is when they CALL something a size 12,but it has a 34-inch chest.Hello....????

07-11-2005
front row

Yep, your right!

I found the article below and it does states that it is hard to find 10s or 12s

BARGAIN 'BABES'
High-end designers attract young fashionistas to upscale sample sales

Carolyne Zinko, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, August 7, 2005

More...

Everyone wants to be a VIP these days. But if you're not a very important person by nature of birth, celebrity, job or wealth, at least you can look like one. Or so the founders of Billion Dollar Babes, a traveling sample sale, would have us believe.
Fashionistas in Los Angeles and New York are well-acquainted with Billion Dollar Babes, created in Hollywood in 2001, and San Francisco shoppers are getting hooked, too. With its most recent two-day visit the other week, the sale has hit town three times now since October. Londoners got their inaugural taste in June and Chicagoans will flip through the racks for the first time this month.
What is Billion Dollar Babes? It's an upscale sample sale of clothing from designers carried by high-end department stores and boutiques, including Fred Segal, Saks Fifth Avenue, Barneys and Neiman Marcus, among others, that have been overproduced or whose stock designers have decided to clear.

Most are size 8 and smaller, but a few larger sizes are tossed in for the persistent scout snooping for the occasional 10 or 12. Accessories are featured too -- handbags, sunglasses, jewelry and shoes. A portion of the proceeds goes to charity -- Dress for Success in New York, Step Up Women's Network in Los Angeles, Fashion Targets Breast Cancer in London, and the California College of the Arts in San Francisco, to name a few.

Last edited by bagsnthings; 07-11-2005 at 03:36 PM.

07-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Quirky, needless to say, that has irked me too I might add that when you do find larger sizes in designer, frequently they are too large, and clearly intended as career clothes for a very mature audience.

You end up shopping mostly online for designer if you're over an 8, is the bottom line (at least where I live, and this is considered by many--not me--a shopping mecca).

08-11-2005
Info warrior/technophile

Hi ladies! Great thread! I am a woman with a true hour-glass figure and I HATE shopping for clothes! It's always just too depressing... .

Personally, I love very tailored clothes because they fit well, which is important and can make any woman look great. I wear jeans and I LOVE Levis, the old fashioned classic style, because they have the large back pockets that makes me feel like my butt looks smaller.

Whoever said that they make the pants in larger sizes with the crotch at the knees and the waist up to your boobs , thanks! You gave me a good laugh. I have noticed this too and thought I was the one who is crazy, but no, now I know that it's not me, it's the pants!

My main problem is finding clothes that have a narrow waist, but are full enough in the bust and hip areas... I think someone mentioned Talbots and I have to agree that there really does seem to be a pretty decent selection.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
size, thread