How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-05-2004
Swim Upstream

Reworking and refreshing vintage
I have had a lovely Burberry trenchcoat which my Mum bought in the late seventies (i think) - it fits me perfectly (i.e nice & neat) on the shoulders/bust but the trouble with it is that it has a wide skirt caused by a pleat at the back and it comes to lower calf length - both of which are no good for me and result in it looking quite dated. I have considered having it shortened to knee length (which is best for my shape/height) for ages but have been really worried that if I do I'll totally ruin it. Any thoughts/advice anyone?

20-05-2004
backstage pass

If it'll suit you better, get it shortened. What's the use of having a fabulous piece, but not being able to wear it? Your mom handed it down to you so she obviously wants you to have it and wear it, so get it tailored to fit YOU because you deserve it

Just remember to take it to a good tailor though, one with a lot of experience if possible. And remember to communicate to him/her exactly what YOU want

20-05-2004
flaunt the imperfection

agh...i've been trying to respond all day!!!...anyway...i completely agree with choctsta...

i don't have a trench for the very reason you're describing...you absolutely MUST have it altered to suit your style and shape...finding a good tailor is crucial...but leaving it to sit alone in the closet all forlorn is just a crime...fix it up and wear it out!!! ...plus ..then it will be perfect...nothing like having clothes tailored...if i could...i would have everything altered...that's true luxury...*sigh*...

21-05-2004
Swim Upstream

Thanks both of you - thats what I think I ought to do but I am just so scared to hand it over to someone who is going to change it.... i have used two tailors here before and with varying success - simple jobs are fine but more complex stuff hasn't always been the best.I might take it in to the best one & just see what he says - there is always a bit of a communication problem because the tailor himself speaks Turkish & everything has to be translated though his son!! My grandfather was a tailor (he had his shop on Bond street) and i am sure he would have made a great job. pity...

do you think I should try & get rid of the pleat thing altogether - I do like the flare of the skirt but it seems to cause a bit of 'bulk' around the waist section. It might help just by shortening it. Its really nice with wide lapels & epaulettes & extremely neat shoulders & arms - I really love its style (apart from the frumpy skirt).

21-05-2004
windowshopping

I think I have a trench just like yours, a Burberry purchased by my mom in the late 70s. I too love it to death, and the bulk of the skirt basically stops me from wearing it, especially as I'm quite short and my waist isn't very well defined.

I've thought about shortening it as well. However, I've given up on the thought since I fear that the flare of the skirt will look even more bulky and weird as there would be less fabric in the hem to weigh it down. I'm also afraid that the shortened hem would "stick out" even more. (Am I making any sense? ) If I weren't the penniless student I am, I would take it to a tailor to have it shortened and altered so that the skirt would sit more "narrowly".

Whatever you choose to do, I hope the coat ends up the way you wanted so you can wear enjoy the cuteness of the most classic trench

24-05-2004
flaunt the imperfection

just talk to the tailor and have a fitting...talk to him and show him what you like...if you have photos...tear sheets...bring them...then try it on when you pick it up...if it's not right...point out the problem areas and have them work on it some more...i have a thimister wool coat that i had to have tailored and i had 3 fittings before they got it right...and now it's amazing... a bit of trouble ...but worth it in the end... i'm sure you'll be really glad you did it when you are able to finally wear it and feel good in it!!!...

now go...get started...it'll be awhile before it's ready and you want to have it ready for fall...

first ...maybe just shorten it...and if it still looks funny...make some more alterations...just get started... ...

16-09-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

okay so I bought that fab houndstooth blazer from value village for like 5 bucks and I knew it would be difficult to alter because I needed the shoulders altered but anyway so I took it to this alteration shop today and the guy was like it's not going to be worth altering because it'll probably cost around 50...and in the end if thats what I have to do I might do it becuase it didn't cost very much to buy but at the same time I love the fabric and would really rather not pay that money (which i don't have right now being a new student). Any ideas or should I shop around more?

16-09-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

How do the shoulders need altering?

Meg
inspired contemplation

they are too big for me and thus need to be made smaller...

17-09-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Perhaps As You Like It could advise you best on this?

Meg
inspired contemplation

Yes an excellent idea...I shall PM her to this post!

20-09-2004
Swim Upstream

Meg - I had a navy velvet blazer that was too big on the shoulders & I had it altered & it cost 45. Don't know how that compares in Canada.... Its a tricksy job I think as the whlole jacket needs to be taken apart. I would do it if the fabric is good quality & otherwise its a good shape on you.

20-09-2004
& b

Yeah, altering shoulders is the hardest part of altering a blazer I have done it on my couture class here, ( Lisent to me, couture class, but yeah, it's called Coutute), we alter and fit stuff to forms and people,...anyway, yeah, it's tough, and it's gonna get expensive...isn't there a way that you can wear it, tie something on the waist, and let the shoulders kind of "fall off" your shoulders, I dunno, I've done it before with this huge blazer I have, and it looks really good

You know what, forget that I wrote this!

scenester

Hi!

I got a nice wool peacoat from ebay and it has a slight musty smell to it like when you walk into a vintage store (not that strong, you can only smell it if you put your nose right up to the fabric). I got it drycleaned but there's still a slight lingering odor to it so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to "freshen" it up a bit...is it safe to use Febreeze?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

01-12-2004
V.I.P.

I'm not a expert but I would say to use Febreeze because it's a fabric freshener!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
refreshing, reworking, vintage