How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-04-2007
front row

Shoes - belt - handbag : color coordination
I once heard someone on "Queer Eye for a straight guy" say that shoes should always match the colour of a belt.
How does everyboy feel about this? Is it a rule that shouldnt be broken? Do you follow it?

Also what about handbags? Should they always match the colour of your shoes?

20-04-2007
trendsetter

I don't think it has to match, I'm drawn to the colour scheme of Marni which mixes colour in the same scale.. which makes it allowed imo.

For guys especially when you think conservative and in business types jobs, the belt and shoes should match.

I think brown bags are harder to match though, I personally don't like brown bags.

20-04-2007
V.I.P.

belts-shoes-handbags in all black is alright.. Matching, colourful or white shoes & bag, or shoes & belt, or belt & bag i strongly dislike.. =)

20-04-2007
front row

just_me, what do you mean by mixing colours in the same scale? Do you mean like colours in the same family? Liking mixing all the shades of brown? Sorry, I am not familiar with Marni...

20-04-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

I am big into mixing and mismatching. I wear navy with black all the time. :p

20-04-2007
trendsetter

For me, the answer is black-black-black. But I suppose if you're into colorful choices, I wouldn't match them. For instance if I had a red handbag, I would generally use a black belt and black shoes.

Quote:
just_me, what do you mean by mixing colours in the same scale? Do you mean like colours in the same family? Liking mixing all the shades of brown?
I'm not sure what just_me meant, but I think you can have a medium brown belt and dark brown shoes--so long as they are both warm or cool toned, not one of each.

21-04-2007
trendsetter

In the same scale I mean.. ue cold colours that go togheter, like black/ dark grey/ white

or black/nude/grey

like this

style.com

27-04-2007
I don't know

as long as the shades gives the same feeling I it's alright to match different colours

like if you have a bag that has warm colours you should match it with shoes that are also in warm colours, they don't have to be the same colour but the feel should be the same

27-04-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_n_simple
I once heard someone on "Queer Eye for a straight guy" say that shoes should always match the colour of a belt.
How does everyboy feel about this? Is it a rule that shouldnt be broken? Do you follow it?

Also what about handbags? Should they always match the colour of your shoes?
Nooo, more a rule that should almost always be broken ...

Sometimes I coordinate my watch band and my shoes for fun, like both green croc

Today for example I am carrying a straw bag with brown leather trim, wearing black shoes, and my watch strap is red patent.

27-04-2007
I don't know

I like that ^

when stuff that you wouldn't think go together just blend in perfectly

I think that the most important rule in fashion is that there are no rules, that's what keeps it going

30-04-2007
windowshopping

I think i remember seeing that episode buti thought that rule was for guys.
Personally, i usually match my shoes, belt and handbag to the rest of my outfit. I do love it when a handbag is a perfect match to shoes and i guess that's why i love Jimmy Choo and past season Chloe collections so much because they released matching handbags and shoes

** My Style Diary **
30-04-2007
Power to the 99%

^ I personally think it's better to not look over-thought (overwrought) ... better to look as though you just threw it together & it works just because (like decorating) ... :p

Also, I rarely change my bag ... I try not to change but twice a year when the season changes. So if you do that, and you don't have accessories all one color, sometimes you are guaranteed not to "match." My bag last season was leopard print ponyskin. I had one jacket it wouldn't work with, so I just didn't wear the jacket I know someone who has bags to match all her shoes, but she is very cheap, believes in spending about $15 per bag So needless to say, they are all plastic. Would you like to guess who looks better, her matching, me changing my bag twice a year?

30-04-2007
I don't know

YOU! YOU!

01-05-2007
Power to the 99%

^ probably

05-05-2007
blue

For guys wearing suits, this rule should not be broken.
Unless you're really really good...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
belt, color, coordination, handbag, shoes