How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-11-2006
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28
But if someone is smaller than a 00, yet their waist/hip ratio is that of an adult's, how would a kid's size fit her properly? If it fits on the waist, it would be tight on the hips. If it fits the hips, then there'd be a gap on the waist.
I absolutely agree that adults, even though they may be tiny, are shaped differently compared to kids. Kids are basically straight, grown-ups have wider shoulders, hips... Both men and women.

But... I think the real problem is that the industry is really seriously streamlining it when it comes to sizing. There are loads of sizes (theoretically almost...) that aren't produced.

From my own experience, buying menswear, designers label their stuff like they've always done: 46-48-50 and so on, but most of them don't really produce stuff that actually are those sizes. They make 146-148-150 and so on (for taller people) or sizes that are for even longer people. I guess the rational is that people can always have them altered if sleeves or legs are too long... But you can't really shorten the torso, can you...?

12-11-2006
trendsetter

Yay! I'm always getting Ralph Lauren from the kids section. It looks cute when the sleeves are a little crop. A Large fits me as though its a small in adults.

12-11-2006
barack the vote

Yay. I am tall, but I am pretty thin, so I can fit into most kids sizes 12-16 US, whereas the same garment in a women's 2-4 might be too big.

12-11-2006
rising star

^Me too, only then I have problems with pants fitting me because the legs are too short.

12-11-2006
V.I.P.

definite YAY!

I always walk into the girls section of most Targets. As a matter of fact, I just bought two pair of sweats there yesterday. Then again, I'm only 14-years-old, so it's a bit more different.

front row

i remember figuring out a youth 14-16 tshirt was perfect for me. yay i say.

http://threerepute.blogspot.com
12-11-2006
once more, with feeling

I say nay, usually. I can fit into most of those clothes, but I do find the cut to be rather boxy. Many times, the materials seem to be cheaper, too, perhaps because manufacturers know that kids will outgrow stuff quickly. It's just not flattering to me, although I haven't tried the basics like tees and leggings.

I have made a few exceptions: boy's blazers at thrift stores, and flannel footed pajamas. I love footed pajamas in the winter, and they don't make them for adults.

V.I.P.

I'll give that 4 YAY's!

They're great for T-shirts. I personally have bought kids (large) t-shirts. I have a guys Junior (small) army green cargo pants and fatigues. hehe. And not to mention the flannel shirts too! I guys clothes. sometimes they're better and cooler looking than womens when it comes to casual--hmmm... did i trail off here?

Last edited by smartarse; 12-11-2006 at 09:52 PM.
13-11-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

I'm quite short but I'm curvy so it depends what I'm buying. I get a lot of my basic shoes from Gap Kids and have found them to be better quality than a lot of my high end shoes. And they are cheaper and tax free. I generally can't fit into kid's pants but I will wear the shirts in a large. Lots of my basic printed tshirts are kid's shirts and I have no problem with it.

13-11-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse
I'll give that 4 YAY's!

They're great for T-shirts. I personally have bought kids (large) t-shirts. I have a guys Junior (small) army green cargo pants and fatigues. hehe. And not to mention the flannel shirts too! I guys clothes. sometimes they're better and cooler looking than womens when it comes to casual--hmmm... did i trail off here?
But juniors isn't really kids' clothes.

13-11-2006
windowshopping

this is a toughie.
i'd say yay, as long as it fits well.
personally, i do love shopping in the kids dept, but then i never wear it in a conventional way, cause the fit is a bit off if i really do wear it for what it is. for example, i found this gorgeous dress in the kids dept, the straps are too short for me to wear it as a dress, so remove the straps and wear it as a skirt! haha, looks good, and i always get compliments on my skirt!
but then i would have to say nay to like t-shirts and pants. t-shirts are too narrow, and pants dont' fit well in the hips. and i think this tends to happen no matter how skinny you are, because grown adults will have some curves, whereas the cutting in the kids dept is totally straight. but it's still good to shop in the kids dept. their stuff is adorable! i just try to look for stuff that's not tooooo cute, and that can fit and work well.

13-11-2006
V.I.P.

With the topic "small adults..." are we referring to adults who did not grow very tall or are we including those adults who are very short because of a genetical "mistake" or a sickness? The adults in the latter group might be so short and tiny that they cannot, in any circumstances, wear "normal" adult-sized clothing. I think, if we are thinking about them, it is fine to wear clothes from the children's. I would also like to note that not all children's wear is done from cheaper fabrics or are of low quality, there are loads of well-tailored, good quality children-sized clothes on the market. Albeit there are a lot of lower quality children's wear, since children grow quickly out of their clothes and therefore those clothes do not need to last.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinexrine
personally, i do love shopping in the kids dept, but then i never wear it in a conventional way, cause the fit is a bit off if i really do wear it for what it is.
^^ what she said. sometimes the cuts can be flattering/interesting in an off-kilter sort of way. sometimes short, tight and slightly boxy is what you want, you know? and before the tunic thing started happening this fall, girls' babydoll dresses/jumpers in size 14/16 were the only things that did the job and what would i do without my boys' hanes undershirts in the summer?

i mean, obviously if you want something well-tailored you don't go to the kids' department. but for fun little tops or whatever? why not?

13-11-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
With the topic "small adults..." are we referring to adults who did not grow very tall or are we including those adults who are very short because of a genetical "mistake" or a sickness? The adults in the latter group might be so short and tiny that they cannot, in any circumstances, wear "normal" adult-sized clothing. I think, if we are thinking about them, it is fine to wear clothes from the children's. I would also like to note that not all children's wear is done from cheaper fabrics or are of low quality, there are loads of well-tailored, good quality children-sized clothes on the market. Albeit there are a lot of lower quality children's wear, since children grow quickly out of their clothes and therefore those clothes do not need to last.
Mostly adults who just aren't too tall. But even adults who are small as in "little people" aren't straight like kids are. They still have grown-up shapes.

13-11-2006
about to fall or fly

yay

i have several kids' sweaters and jackets and they fit so well - the arms aren't monstrously long. often when i go to second-hand stores i beeline for the kids' section because kids' coats are really amazing, especially vintage ones. adult coats are just ridiculously big on me - i'm barely 5foot.

Tags
departments, opposite, ownchildren, sexetc, shopping