How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-08-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
even if he insists on playing the greatest hits of Genesis as often as he can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey, being friends with someone who enjoys Genesis (particularly Phil Collins period) should be considered a severe crime against humanity.

Sorry but I had to make this comment because a) I hate Genesis music and b) this talk was getting to deep... Come on, we are talking about sense of fashion, etc, not a possible third World War.

http://www.myspace.com/sonnycam

12-08-2012
Power to the 99%

Since I am always reading too much (or so some people tell me :p), I came across a little write-up of a study that reminded me of this thread. Basically it was showing people pictures of others and asking if they would work with this person to get xyz done. They were specifically examining people's prejudices, including prejudice based on appearance. What the study found is that people who are less prejudiced are much more open to opportunity.

13-08-2012
fashion icon

^The findings of that study totally make sense to me. Anyone who's worldview is negative towards certain people (whether it be because of race, culture, or how they are dressed), is definitely going to be less willing to being open to new opportunities. I've found that those who don't have an open mind about other people and things are less willing to go out of their comfort zone. Often they are afraid of what they don't know.

I was thinking about this thread the other day when my dad was getting ready for work. He was wearing a sort of grungy t-shirt (in his job he get's a bit dirty at times) and I was thinking I wonder if anyone saw him if they would treat him differently because of what he's wearing at that moment. And that made me a bit sad, cause my dad is one of the sweetest people I know. But the thought that someone wouldn't pay him respect because of what he was wearing (even if it was part of his work outfit) is a bit low I think. So I guess, I do believe that we should dress to impress (when we can) but even if I wasn't dressed to the nines I would hope that someone would treat me with respect. And I would treat other's with respect too, no matter what they are wearing. Clothing can be a form of protection; from the weather, from society, and from ourselves but we shouldn't allow it to be used a weapon to treat people poorly because of what they are wearing. If you go around judging people because they aren't wearing, like, LV then it must be a very sad life indeed. But that's just my feelings on the matter.

P.S. Fashionista-ta, you can never read too much! Don't listen to everyone else.

fashion elite

gentleman-forever.tumblr.com

That's all!

17-08-2012
don't look down

There can also be a pathological side to always 'dressing to impress' where keeping up appearances becomes such an all-consuming need, the person ends up spending beyond their means in order to project a certain facade.

front row

"dress to impress"? i don't get the presumption of this statement. for me this expression just sounds like coming from a totally insecure thus negative place. "to impress others" definitely shouldn't be the ultimate goal when someone gets dressed up, cause it implies pretense and disguise, which is in total contradiction to any genuine personal style.

i mean anything less than authentic just can't be attractive, in my eyes. what makes someone appealing is substance from within, and your exterior should just reflect, and even better, emphasize on it.

i don't dress to impress, i dress to connect to my inner self. if i can fully manage that task on any given day, i'm a happy and fulfilled dresser. no matter how anyone else sees me, i'm comfortable in my own skin.

and to judge anyone on appearance (or even style) alone, well, that is just so, limiting...

plus style is not VALUE, style doesn't make someone a trustworthy person, VALUE does.

Last edited by greengrassia; 17-08-2012 at 05:34 PM.
17-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Agree ... and I will also say that I occasionally see a woman who is 'perfectly' dressed to the point where reality seems obscured. I see the Chanel logo, I see this and that ... but who are you really?? The sense of facade and nothing but makes me feel very uncomfortable. And I think you're right that perfection points to insecurity. Imperfection is inherent to life, and when it's been hidden, there's obviously huge effort involved ... and what could be behind that but huge insecurity?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dress, impress