How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2009
flaunt the imperfection..

:...
it's no miracle B..
i read online that the best exercise is anything that you will actually DO...

so i did some research and i just tried a bunch of things..
running, bicycling, lots of walking, etc...

until i finally hit on something that stuck...
it's just a 1/2 hour fitness program on tv that i do in my loft...no biggie...
but it focuses on just what i need and it's not so overwhelming that i can't deal with it..
plus i like what they wear and the music...

and i don't have to schlep to the gym and back

and i tried to do something each day, even if it's just taking a long walk or short bike ride...

and as my body started getting stronger...
i just started feeling better..

plus i am super into proper nutrition and making sure that my brain gets enough good nutrients...

when you combine this with a healthy, positive attitude, it's a combo that can't really lose...

i am also really organizing my 'stuff'...which is also good for 'clearing the cobwebs'...
getting my stuff in order feels like i am getting my life in order, by extension...
and my head on straight...
feels mighty good, my friends...

B- what you said about your daughter is truly beautiful...

Last edited by softgrey; 04-09-2009 at 03:00 PM.

01-09-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belowen View Post
softie... what is this miracle workout?!

I have never felt more beautiful than when my daughter is in bed with me and stroking my hair and my face and I can hear her breathing in the dark. I honestly believe that love, and the connections we make with people really make us who we are. And the relationship I have with my daughter is so beautiful - which makes me feel beautiful in turn...
Gosh, that is so lovely (I'll admit it made me tear up a little!)

I am currently trying to begin a major 're-structuring' of my life as I have been going through a 'rough patch' recently and hoping that it will finally let me accept and feel better about myself and generally be a happy person again!

I have started some what by 'culling' some so called 'friends'. For a long time I stayed in what are probably best described as 'toxic friendships' (one for 15 years, which made me so unhappy) that were just so negative and urghh. I finished school in July and cut of contact with most of these people - 15 year friend included - as the main reason why I maintained these friendships was in order to prevent it from being uncomfortable when we had to see each other on a daily basis. I am now civil to these people when I end up seeing them (either by coincidence or at an event where we are all together), but other than that I don't see them and it is such a relief - I feel physically like there has been a weight lifted off my shoulders. Until recently I did feel guilty about it, but then I realised that I deserve so much better than people who constantly try to put me down and who only take rather than give. Although the 'cull' does mean I only really have four close friends, I actually find this preferable as it is amazing to have genuine friends who really care about me and like me for who I am

I'm also about to embark on a major decluttering of my things as like softgrey said it really helps to bring clarity in my head. I'm going to try to start thinking positively about myself and my life - hopefully yoga and meditation will help me do this - as well as starting to do 'positive affirmations'. Hopefully, I will also get motivated to eat more healthily and start exercising again, as this makes such a difference physically (I feel so lifeless and unenergised right now) and mentally (particularly with self image). I need to get creative - start reading, writing and listening to music again. I think I'll also take up the idea someone posted of listing goals for today/the week/month/year/life(!), as I've been falling so directionless and out of control of my life I figure it is high time that I start to seize control again and this is a good way to start doing that and living my life again.

I love this thread and the advice everyone has given (particularly fashionista-ta, you seem to have everything figured out!)

(Applogies for the length and non-style relatedness of this post )

01-09-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Always a work in progress

You make an excellent point about friends ... I have had to do that myself. I'm not sure if I was getting more positive or they were getting more negative (or both), but ... it was time. Sometimes ya gotta do it ...

We have a clutter-clearing thread btw that you may like ...

02-09-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
:...

and as my body started getting stronger...
i just started feeling better..

plus i am super into proper nutrition and making sure that my brain gets enough good nutrients...

when you combine this with a healthy, positive attitude, it's a combo that can't really lose...

i am also really organizing my 'stuff'...which is also good for 'clearing the cobwebs'...
getting my stuff in order feels like i am getting my life in order, by extension...
and my head on straight...
feels mighty good, my friends...

B- what you said about your daughter is truly beautiful...
Ooh, I love being on an upwards spiral! When the positive changes just seem to feed each other. I had that very same excercise revelation recently too. And that's when you realize for the first time how amiss things were before, "how could I have lived like that?? "

chanelnumber5
, sounds good! I guarantee that yoga and meditation will help you in ways you've never dreamed. I've doing yoga/breathing/meditation most mornings for over six years, it's totally changed my life. Good luck with the changes! I'm also at a very big transitional time... major de-cluttering and taking care of past "karmic debts" can seem daunting sometimes...but as I see no other way forward, no choice but to grit my teeth and plod on...and well, I try to see it as exciting.

I've taken a tip from this thread and started listening to upbeat music mornings, it's great!

and yes, what a beautiful image Belowen...

02-09-2009
Power to the 99%

^ It is exciting

07-10-2009

hmm...
i got the flu or bronchitis and totally got off track...
couldn't work out and got stressed...
plus i lost my bicycling buddy...she's not available these days...

i need to re-focus and get things moving back in the right direction...

have started doing work around the house to be more active..
am painting part of the apt
*12 foot ceilings means this is no small feat
:p

07-10-2009
botanizing on the asphalt

softgrey, i got the same flu thing at the end of last week.
I was on such a roll and had even added a couple
extra long walks to to my workout schedule,
but then i got really busy, had to travel and finally got sick from exhaustion.
So i've done nothing but walk to and from work for the past three weeks.
And of course the stress of not exercising is piling up with all the rest...

Next week will be better though....

front row

painting the appartment will certainly change your mood, when i painted my appartment I ve spend an hour just staring at the walls...
Today I ve discover that I have some serious health issues. I have a thing that am not sure if it’s curable, actually I think its not. I don’t know how to handle it. I used to think that I could mentally handle anything but I don’t know what to do now

29-11-2009

lily- i hope that everything is ok with you since you wrote your last post!

well -
the painting is done and so are some other things that have come up along the way...
and yes- i did sit and stare at it for awhile and am really pleased with the results!
it was all worth it!!!
i have a LONG list of things that i want to do around the house really...
but it is getting shorter and shorter and every time i cross something off the list it gives me a boost!...

setting goals and achieving them is a great feeling...
it doesn't matter how big (or small) the goal is...

Last edited by softgrey; 30-11-2009 at 12:57 PM.
30-11-2009
oh! darling

I love this thread, softgrey.

I feel like a bad a** when I just dance around the room while getting ready for school/work/going out. If I can do a sexy hair swoosh somehow, as if I were a celebrity with a fan blowing my hair around to take a sexy picture, I feel hawt.

windowshopping

I could really do with some inspiration for being comfortable in my own skin - at the moment I just don't feel it at all.

In May I fell pregnant after trying for months, but I lost the baby in July, 2 days before my 12 week scan.

Ever since then I have not been able to enjoy my life, no matter what I try. It's like I have this sadness inside me that will not go away until I am pregnant again. But I'm sure that this mental attitude is making it impossible for me to fall pregnant.

I have such a hard time accepting my life - and whenever I hear news of someone else expecting, it has such an impact on my own life - as if their good news magnifies my 'failure'.

How could I get over this with positive thinking? I usually start each cycle with a lot of hope and positivity: I look after myself, exercise, do yoga and feel really good about the month ahead. Then I progressively feel less positive as I can feel that I'm not pregnant and I start to be less kind to myself, exercise less and just generally get into a funk.

I don't know how to get out of this pattern - does anyone have any suggestions on how I can shift my thinking to feel happy with my current life instead of pining for the life I wanted but lost?

30-11-2009

^^i think you should talk to your doctor, frankly...
i have never been pregnant or wanted to be...
to me...it sounds like the worst possible nightmare that you could do to your own body!
so- i really can't relate...
NOT being pregnant feels really good to me!

yay- i'm not pregnant!!!
maybe you should just enjoy NOT being pregnant while you still have the chance!
cause the way you're trying for it, sounds like you'll be pregnant soon enough...

30-11-2009
trendsetter

lillyputty, im no doctor but it sounds like you have some symptoms of depression going on...i agree with softgrey, that talking to a doctor or a therapist about it would be very helpful. besides that, the best thing you can do is surround yourself with people that make you happy and ESPECIALLY people/things/movies that make you laugh. in my opinion, laughter is one of the best things for the soul. thats why I watch conan and friends every night...for my health! lol. also, have you tried practicing positive affirmations to yourself?

windowshopping

You're right, I think I'm depressed. I really try to fight it, and keep telling myself to enjoy the time I have left before I'm elbows deep in nappies, but the truth is that it's always at the back of my mind and I always hold a glimmer of hope that the next month will be 'my month'

I've been seeing an acupuncturist following the misscarriage and it's helped me significantly, but I still have very down days. Everyone keeps telling me that as soon as I forget about getting pregnant, I will, but I don't know how to not think about it!

02-12-2009

has anyone mentioned hot baths or hot showers...
i think they are great for relaxing your muscles and relieving tension...
and i always look better when i am relaxed..
when i am tense, it shows in my face...
it gets kind of squinched up and my eyebrows go down and i just generally look pissed off...

i get the same face when i am tired too...
NOT pretty!

in fact..i'm going to go take a steaming hot shower RIGHT now!!!

ahhh...i already feel better, just thinking about the warm water washing away my tension...mmmmm......good.....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
skin