How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-07-2007
scenester

I like your outfit a lot, but I'm afraid that just wouldn't look good on me. ;-) The rainboots are a good idea actually. Can you wear them a lot? I mean, are they really comfortable?

Thought of something like ankle boots, because I'll mostly wear straight jeans, I guess.

13-07-2007
Press escape to continue.

I think great socks are the best trick to make rainboots comfy. I use hiking socks with my Wellingtons, and I use a sole insert in the boot. The only thing I have to watch out for is hot feet. I carry sandals with me to wear indoors. No one seems to mind that I leave my boots at the umbrella stand.

tfs star

We're in the middle of rainy season...eek.

A rubber shoe with heel is quite perfect if you can find a nice one, which is quite hard. I used to have these cute little jellie wedge sandals...the heel kept me out of puddles, and were just dressy enough for work. Now I have nice rubber heeled booties. I think Marc Jacobs had some jellies this seaon.

Lately I see a lot of people wearing Crocs, which I guess protect your feet better than flipflops...

14-07-2007
scenester

Well, I hate crocks. They may be practical, but I just think they're ugly. But these jelly-shoe-thing by Marc Jacobs got me curious. I googled them and also found some shoes by Stuart Weitzmann:

[bloomingdales.com]

Did you talk about these "Surf jellies"?

[shoes.com]

Anyways, I'm afraid those will be too cold for the Irish winter. I know, I'm quite picky.

fashion elite

i love wellies!!

10-08-2007
flaunt the imperfection

i think we must be able to come up with some better options..
with global warming and shifting weather patterns...
it seems to snow less but rain more---everywhere...

so...
how are we to cope?
clearly- the biggest issue is FOOTWEAR...

let's post some good ideas for footwear that look good too...
*NOT just wellies...

runner's junya pics are the closest to fashionable raingear in this thread...
any other ideas like that...

what about HATS?

Last edited by softgrey; 10-08-2007 at 02:59 PM.
10-08-2007

Luminescent Raincoat
Quote:
This project juxtaposes electricity and water in a raincoat that luminesces in response to droplets of rain. Embroidered water sensors act as inputs to a system with sealed electroluminescent panels that illuminate based on patterns of rain.

The raincoat/cape and hood recall the retro-futuristic designs of Pierre Cardin and Andre Courreges in the sixties while incorporating computational behavior beyond an aesthetic notion of what technology looks like.

Custom-silkscreened luminescent patches extend from the front placket, and respond to water contact on raindrop sensors (one visible on the front hood). The final lamp and sensor configuration is being designed.

More information at the souce: mit.edu

I am half-sick of shadows

As far as footwear I can recommend rubber jodphur boots. They're perfect for when you don't want to wear wellies but want to keep your feet 100% dry. They look pixie boot-ish with short skirts or dresses and, of course, work well with pants.

Picture from www.equestrianclearancesales.com

10-08-2007

Quote:
Aquatalia by Marvin K, Wasabi Tall Rain Boots. Patent leather rises in a slick column from the subtle wedge heel.

saksfifthavenue.com . they also come in black

I am half-sick of shadows

Oh, and I recently bought this Philip Lim rain slicker. On the pro side it has a hood so my head will stay dry...on the con side my legs are going to get soaked. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Lim rain coat.jpg
Picture from Lim's website.

10-08-2007

By Eric Javits.

samuelshats.com

Pileus, the Internet Umbrella

Quote:
Pileus is an umbrella connected to the Internet to make walking in rainy days fun. Pileus has a large screen on the top surface, a built-in camera, a motion sensor, GPS, and a digital compass, and it provides two main functions; A Social Photo-sharing and A 3D Map Navigation.

The photo function is connected to a major web service "Flickr". A user can take photo with a camera on the umbrella, and pictures are uploaded to Flickr in two minutes with context tags via a wireless Internet connection. User can also enjoy theirselves watching photo-streams downloaded from Flickr (and video-stream from YouTube on an advanced proto) with simple operation of wrist snapping.

3D Map Navigation is powered by "Google Earth". Detecting a location data from GPS, it shows a 3D bird view around the user. User can walk-through a city comparing the 3D views and real sights, and the map is always updated by GPS and a digital compass. As it has a large screen, it create virtual reality but not immersive.

Now these two functions can be switched by simply fliping a switch. As a future direction of its development, putting a context data on the Internet (e.g. geo-tags on photos), it will be able to provide social local-navigations, social local-ads, and real-time in-place communications. The product aims to provide an augmentation of everyday life synchronizing information on the Internet and the real place.

pileus.net . pic credit: gizmodo.com

V.I.P.

^oh that's so useful
i get lost way too often

interesting finds you got there

12-08-2007
El Viaje Definitivo

mina perhonen's gummy is originally rain shoe.

I thought a pair of yohji's boots from this season would be good for bad weather even though they may not be as good as softgrey's CdG.

rubber boots and belts by CCP

courtesy IH

Let the stars decide
12-08-2007
backstage pass

if it rains, i will usually wear jeans tucked in boots. i know that it's not the latest fashion at all but i like the look and it prevents my trousers from getting wet and dirty.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rain, splash, wear