How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2007
fashion icon

since in going to study in london soon, i thought it would be wise to stock up on a water resistant jacket.
i recently brought a water resistant parka from MNG which i think is rather stylish and resist the rain.
in terms of footwear, i brought a pair of patented leather ankle boots that looks like it will resist rain.

14-08-2007
fashion elite

mackintosh (wellies and jackets) are so classic and loveable.
im going to buy a nice anorak (not a sporting goods type, more fashion) this season.

15-08-2007
the crying of humanity

Living in a city which typically receives 37 inches of rain yearly, I'm used to getting clothes soaking wet. I don't bother wearing coats most days; it's only water, not some sort of permanent, dark liquid.

urd
tfs star

I just bought a dark brown very shiny raincoat from flea market. It was only 1€. It reminds me of Marni F/W 07, so I wear it even if it's not raining. It's also very useful when you need something to sit on in the park!

22-08-2007
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
mina perhonen's gummy is originally rain shoe.

I thought a pair of yohji's boots from this season would be good for bad weather even though they may not be as good as softgrey's CdG.

rubber boots and belts by CCP

courtesy IH
not bad...
you are right- i do wear my comme des garcons motorcross boots for bad weather...

but it's good to have other options...

i think something patent leather could be water resistant and still look more 'dressed'...
i was thinking that is probably a good solution...

leather sneakers are also an obvious choice...
and i find my patent birk gizehs are good in the rain...during warmer months...

* i have always loved those Mina gummies...they are super cute...:p

Last edited by softgrey; 22-08-2007 at 09:43 AM.
24-08-2007
once more, with feeling

I live where it rains a lot in the winter, and I walk to work every day, about a mile downhill.

[i think...style.com]

This is a pretty good outfit for the rain. Cropped pants, and some sort of coated shirt. I like the rain hat, too, a takeoff of what New Englanders wear on fishing boats, I think.

This year, I decided to get an actual rain hat instead of just using the hood on my rain jacket or my kangol hat. I think rain hats are pretty cute, and if it's just drizzling, they'll suffice for rain gear.

Kid's yellow rain hat. [landsend.com]
I got this one in yellow. They go up to adult sizes, so I hope it fits.

Here's the original that inspired that runway hat.
[villagehatshop.com]

I still have trouble with footgear. I wear the same old leather sneakers every day because they keep my feet dry. Leather knee-high boots and wellies when I wear dresses, but mostly I wear pants to stay warm.

I think the Clarks desert boots might be a good option. They have a rubber gum sole and were designed to be functional.

Last edited by quimby; 24-08-2007 at 02:52 PM.
24-08-2007
fashion elite

i so want the phillip lim slicker!!

thisnext.com

24-08-2007
Press escape to continue.

Oilcloth from Australia is one of the best materials for staying warm and dry in the rain. I just ordered this terrific coat for the winter, and I expect it will last for many, many years as long as I keep it properly treated with linseed oil.

walkabout.com

El Viaje Definitivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
* i have always loved those Mina gummies...they are super cute...:p
yes gummies are cute like water beetles

I guess undercover may do something high tech in the near future.

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 25-08-2007 at 09:52 AM.
26-08-2007
V.I.P.

oh that's quite a stylish coat, somethingelse
i like the high neck and small cape.. reminds me of a 90s movie kirstie alley was in
looks good for both winter and summer..

Do you apply the linseed oil on it yourself ???
I wonder if it takes long to dry
Do you know if it's boiled or raw linseed oil ? I read on the walkabout website you mustn't leave it somewhere hot or it will shrink and become out of shape; and on wikipedia it says it may also have the chance of 'spontaneous combustion'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
Oilcloth from Australia is one of the best materials for staying warm and dry in the rain. I just ordered this terrific coat for the winter, and I expect it will last for many, many years as long as I keep it properly treated with linseed oil.
walkabout.com

26-08-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindi View Post
if it rains, i will usually wear jeans tucked in boots. i know that it's not the latest fashion at all but i like the look and it prevents my trousers from getting wet and dirty.
Me too, or if that's too warm a skirt and boots. I have to keep spraying them with a waterproofing spray when they get wet though, otherwise they'll let the rain through.

My dad keeps stealing and loosing my umbrellas so I'm getting this:

I hope he's too embarrassed to run around with a frilly umbrella

26-08-2007
scenester

I love that umbrella!

backstage pass

I just bought a pair of these Burberry riding boot-esque rain boots since it has rained so much in NYC this summer:

(burberry.com)
I think they're really classy and simple looking and will last a long time. Cute enough to still look fashionable as rainwear too!

Last edited by kmccormi; 26-08-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added credit for picture
26-08-2007
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
...Do you apply the linseed oil on it yourself ???
I wonder if it takes long to dry... Do you know if it's boiled or raw linseed oil?
The linseed oil should be boiled, not raw. And the combustion issue is because some recipes for making traditional oilcloth entail using mineral spirits like paint thinner, and other flammable materials. The fabric is waxed as well. Traditional oilcloth is slightly tacky to the touch. Lots of material called "oilcloth" on the market is actually treated vinyl, so it's best to stick to the original, real Australian fabric.

There is a product called Driza-Bone Garment Dressing for reproofing oilcloth fabric, which I believe is predominantly a wax but I won't know until it arrives with my new winter coat!

flaunt the imperfection

my friend was saying that she tries to get 'good' shoes and then 'cheap' shoes in a similar style for when the weather is bad...

that way she doesn't ruin her good shoes on bad weather days but she can still do the look she was going for...

this seems like a reasonable option...

like zara or aerosole shoes for when the weather is bad...?
the soles of the shoes are manmade so they do not get ruined walking on the wet pavement...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rain, splash, wear