How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
09-05-2013
  121
trendsetter
 
Sugo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,110
Those are lovely. This might be my solution for severe umbrella hatred.

  Reply With Quote
 
09-05-2013
  122
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
It looks really cool (especially the grey one, great choice), but it looks like it doesn't breathe at all..
And getting wet by sweating is just as bad as getting wet by rain

well- it's a cape...
so it's not closed or anything...
i mean- it's totally open, so i can't imagine that it's going to be an issue...
that is the very reason i purchased it...
aside from how cool it looks, of course...

:p

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
09-05-2013
  123
backstage pass
 
Fewormany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
well- it's a cape...
so it's not closed or anything...
i mean- it's totally open, so i can't imagine that it's going to be an issue...
that is the very reason i purchased it...
aside from how cool it looks, of course...

:p
Ah, I didn't think of that. I don't really wear capes.
Well enjoy your rain cape, it looks awesome.

  Reply With Quote
09-05-2013
  124
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,930
thanks babe!

i shall...

:p

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
31-05-2013
  125
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchouclaire View Post
^Hunter boots are the best and last forever and I love all of the Melissa plastic dreams shoe line (especially her collaboration with Vivienne Westwood). Recently I've been buying 1950s/60s high heel covers. They mold to your high heels and they don't get wet. I've only been able to find them on ebay though.
i LOVE those...
and i've been wondering where to find them...
thanks for the tip!


__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
04-06-2013
  126
tfs star
 
Miwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
Looks great!
Looks horrendous.

I keep telling mysef (usually when there are rainy days in a row) I should already get a pair of Hunter wellies, but I always hesitate to buy them. They're a little expensive for something I can't wear every day. I'm sure I'll change my mind by the time autumn comes around.

  Reply With Quote
07-06-2013
  127
V.I.P.
 
Curious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: VA, US
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,584
Hi Long Lost Friends

Checking in on one of my favorite spots on the web after a long hiatus!

This thread caught my eye as the first Tropical Storm for the US finds her way up the East Coast. Hello Andrea :p

I avoided her by staying indoors today BUT if I'd had to venture out and considering it's a balmy 70 degrees, I'd have donned lightweight jeans with my ankle rubber gardening boots (thanks to Smith & Hawkins for Target - they are waterproof but matte and kind of knubby - not shiny). I'd pair with a water resistant rain slicker that cinches at the waste. Waterproof suffocates me!

The wind wasn't too bad so I'd have carried/worn one of two of my favorite rainy day items - a black and white geometric bucket rain cap (usually with the brim rolled up - makes me feel like the Morton Salt Girl) OR my long wooden handled black and white geometric umbrella with strategically placed ribbons of primary colors to add interest.

I also love to add a spot of red or yellow to the outfit - something bright to counter the dreary day. I'd finish with the chic messy bun (since there's no reason to mess with the hair in the humidity) and my perfectly beat up leather cross body that can weather most anything (or conveniently be sheltered with the ¼NuvÀ¨slick since I've yet to see a cute water resistant/proof bag.. though I'm open/hopeful )

In winter, my Hunter Wellingtons win out over my ankle booties - Miwi- they are an investment but they never go out of style and our feet/calves tend to stay the same size - so you'll get your wear out of them over time - just go with a classic color

Softie - no surprise you shared an amazing rain collection! And good to see your love of the cape never wanes Farmers Almanac has the mid-Atlantic under water for storm season so your timing's impeccable!

  Reply With Quote
10-06-2013
  128
tfs star
 
Melisande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paris/Tokyo
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,619
Curious!!! I can't believe it's you, it's so good to see your same avatar and everything. Hope you've been well!!

  Reply With Quote
10-06-2013
  129
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
Hi Long Lost Friends

Checking in on one of my favorite spots on the web after a long hiatus!

This thread caught my eye as the first Tropical Storm for the US finds her way up the East Coast. Hello Andrea :p

I avoided her by staying indoors today BUT if I'd had to venture out and considering it's a balmy 70 degrees, I'd have donned lightweight jeans with my ankle rubber gardening boots (thanks to Smith & Hawkins for Target - they are waterproof but matte and kind of knubby - not shiny). I'd pair with a water resistant rain slicker that cinches at the waste. Waterproof suffocates me!

The wind wasn't too bad so I'd have carried/worn one of two of my favorite rainy day items - a black and white geometric bucket rain cap (usually with the brim rolled up - makes me feel like the Morton Salt Girl) OR my long wooden handled black and white geometric umbrella with strategically placed ribbons of primary colors to add interest.

I also love to add a spot of red or yellow to the outfit - something bright to counter the dreary day. I'd finish with the chic messy bun (since there's no reason to mess with the hair in the humidity) and my perfectly beat up leather cross body that can weather most anything (or conveniently be sheltered with the ¼NuvÀ¨slick since I've yet to see a cute water resistant/proof bag.. though I'm open/hopeful )

In winter, my Hunter Wellingtons win out over my ankle booties - Miwi- they are an investment but they never go out of style and our feet/calves tend to stay the same size - so you'll get your wear out of them over time - just go with a classic color

Softie - no surprise you shared an amazing rain collection! And good to see your love of the cape never wanes Farmers Almanac has the mid-Atlantic under water for storm season so your timing's impeccable!
i had the same reaction as Melisande...
Curious!!!
am i seeing things?!...but no...it's you!
yay!
...

glad you like my post...


the outfit -which you described beautifully and which i can imagine perfectly- is very adorable...
morton salt girl is a good look!



i saw some smith and hawkens garden stuff at target awhile back and loved it---but, alas, no garden here in the big city...
too bad i didn't see the boots, cause those sound cute and useful...

i got myself rubber ankle boots in chinatown...
i put an insole in there and they've been good for about 10 years now...
but i really only bust them out when it's like a monsoon out there...

freaking downpour again today!

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior




Last edited by softgrey; 10-06-2013 at 12:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote
14-06-2013
  130
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,930
© Aigle

For this summer’s festival season the two French brands Maison Kitsuné and Aigle team up for a coveted capsule collection. The items featured are a unisex rain poncho and unisex rain boots. The two items are available in directly operated stores of MAISON KITSUNÉ and AIGLE as well as their official online stores.
kitsune.fr

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior




Last edited by Petit Lucille; 15-06-2013 at 01:00 AM.
  Reply With Quote
19-06-2013
  131
rising star
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Gender: femme
Posts: 173
I adore my Aigle Ecuyer boots. Everyone is always surprised looking at them up close and realizing they're rubber and not leather. I love that the fit is snug (unlike Hunter boots which often flap against the calf) and that they're lined with leather so they're super warm (at least by Vancouver winter standards). My only gripe is that the traction isn't very good, which wasn't an issue until I spent a lot of time in a snowy climate this past winter and slipped all over the place.

  Reply With Quote
21-10-2013
  132
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,930
all over tokyo they sell clear plastic umbrellas that everyone seems to use in the rain...
much the way you can buy cheap black nylon fold-able umbrellas everywhere in nyc...
i much prefer the clear plastic ones though...
i had intended to bring back a white one, but i ran out of space in my bags...
...

one of the most amazing things i have ever seen is the 'umbrella lockers' in the museum and concert halls in tokyo...
most people use a long cane-like umbrella with a handle and then there is a free little umbrella stand with a key where you lock them up in the entryway of some buildings...
i haven't seen this anywhere else in my travels...
haven't even heard of it as a concept...

so incredibly civilized and really lovely...
the japanese think of everything...
...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
21-10-2013
  133
front row
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon
Gender: femme
Posts: 407
I have a pair of glossy graphitte Hunters. I agree that they are a little expensive, but they are seriously worth it. Have had them for three years and never regretted buying them - and I live in sunny Lisbon

I also have this pac-a-parka thingy from ASOS in a not-so-pretty leopard print that I bought two years ago:


asos

It is very light and it folds into something very portable!

  Reply With Quote
24-10-2013
  134
unspecified
 
Petit Lucille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,206
Soft, I've read somewhere they use clear umbrellas because it gets so windy, they lean them over their head and still can see through it. I like them regardless. I've been obsessed with pagoda umbreallas for years, decades, now I finally have one, and adore it. Even straight men say it's georgeous (maybe in their words cool- but you get the point).

__________________
sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
  Reply With Quote
26-10-2013
  135
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit Lucille View Post
Soft, I've read somewhere they use clear umbrellas because it gets so windy, they lean them over their head and still can see through it. I like them regardless. I've been obsessed with pagoda umbreallas for years, decades, now I finally have one, and adore it. Even straight men say it's georgeous (maybe in their words cool- but you get the point).
interesting- makes sense...
thanks !

i never knew that those parasol kind of umbrellas were called pagoda umbrellas...
i saw a healthy number of those there as well, though not nearly as much as the clear ones...

they are very cool indeed!

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rain, splash, wear
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.