How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-12-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarina View Post
I think most people only incorporate a portion of the trends in their excisting wardrobe - obviously it would be difficult to exchange everything every season. However, I would still not call that unique.

You are probably right about women wanting to stick out from the crowd. I just think it is quite impossible nowadays to use the clothes to stick out since almost everything is available everywhere. Maybe you are the only one with those sculptural Rick Owens booties in your village, but worldwide where will be many having the same or similar ones.
again, i don't think simply wearing Rick Owens booties will make anyone look "unique". it's the way that person wears it. i think nowadays someone can stick out simply by the way he/she dresses. yes, actually i think there's a bigger oppotunity to do so in a globalized, information-sharing world. where there are so many clones and trend followers, it's just easier to be "unique" (clothes in combination with personal aura). like "when everyone else looks the same, i can finally look different". kidding.i might sound really strange here, but at this point i just believe when there are more followers, there will be more independent souls to counter-balance the scene as well. for instance, just when the luxery houses and high street brands take over mainstream market, at the same time there will be more independent, niche brands emerging to cater to smaller clientenle. just like where there is oppression, there will bound to be rebellion. but of course please don't take each of my words too literal, i don't mean clothes as a form of oppression. i just believe that's how social equation system works.

18-12-2011
scenester

I say, take what you like and ditch the rest. Inspiration has always involved some kind of theft. I think if we take all the things that resonate within us and put it together, it become authentic again. I would just encourage for someone to never to become a clone of who they admire.

29-12-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
I couldn't care less if people steal my style as long as, if we are talking of a person close to you, they acknowledge they were "inspired" by it. I see absolutely no problem if a friend of mine compliments my shoes, my coat, my dress and then decide to buy a similar one. Is there such a thing as an original style nowdays? What passes as original style is totally filtered from the catwalks. The fashion savviest know how not to look like a fashion victim but they are still slaves of the image makers.

What i honestly find a bit weird, and that happened to me, is when a close friend of yours that never ever remarks on anything you wear, then suddenly one day shows up head to toe, and I mean head to toe literally, with the exact same things, not even something that resembles your clothes, but the exact same outfit you wore the week before. Bought at the same store, same colour, everything.
this happened to me. with my cousin. she still copies me. NO BUENO

flaunt the imperfection

people got problems.........

01-01-2012
V.I.P.

A while ago I met this girl who behind my back criticized what I wore saying I was always "overdressed", this came from a girl who was traveling the continent and pretty much wore sweats all the time. But then she started to copy my style, from my stocking´s pattern to the style of my hats! I didn´t mind that she was copying me but what was the point in criticizing me in the first place?!

01-01-2012
Power to the 99%

^ If she were on tFS, she would be shrieking how much she hates xyz collection, and then 48 hours later panting about how she must get her hands on as much of it as possible, no matter whom she has to kill in order to do so I still think those who do this should be seen by a mental health professional.

16-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection

after years and years of struggle...
i have finally begun to convince my friend that styles which are flattering on me are not necessarily flattering on her and she is actually listening to me!

yay!

i think it helps that she actually looks better when she wears things that are better suited to her...
and other people are taking notice and complimenting her...

it's a major breakthrough in my world...
and we are even closer friends now as a result...

Last edited by softgrey; 16-05-2013 at 11:23 AM.
04-06-2013
backstage pass

in the search for my signature style, i have been stealing Jennifer L. Scott's- i just watch her youtube videos and i try to get ideas, i ask myself what would she wear? i think what i like are the shapes and cuts she chooses. i do make an attempt to make it my own, as i love jewel tones and thy flatter my skin tone. And of course i always have to adjust what im looking for in cuts and shapes, as hers is the polar opposite of my own figure.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
stealing, style