How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-01-2004
backstage pass

Don't worry, soon she'll find some other girl to cling on to and copy. That's usually how these things work.

16-01-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Jan 11th, 2004 - 4:53 pm
the symptoms probably runs deeper than they seem.
Handle with care

16-01-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Female stalkers are pretty rare aren't they?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jan 16th, 2004 - 4:06 pm
I used to wear a 3 piece silk Armani business suit as my school uniform...I just told people it fell off the back of a lorry...
I can relate to that, I wore a Pierre Balmain suit to school instead of the regular uniform. I got quite a few compliments though.

25-01-2004
trendsetter

I do understand. I myself have a friend that will spend every penny just to buy what I have, and when we go shopping together I cought her critisizing the clothes that i pick out and later on buying them herself.... some people have no personal style or taste.

25-01-2004
windowshopping

where i live things like that happen all the time. bottom line u just CANT tell her where u get anything. because the second u do, shes ganna be on her way to get it. there is nothing worse then feeling good about something original that u bought and then going out and seeing the world has it. it just makes u not like it anymore, its no longer as special.

26-01-2004
windowshopping

Hey kora78, I've a friend just like that too (another one)! She always criticizes me, but then I catch her a few weeks later with the same stuff she citicized on me! What she likes to do first thing when she is at my place is open my closet, nag that I've got so many things (even she's the one who buy 3 pairs of cheap shues when I buy only one pair a bit more expensive!) and try everything on.
A long time ago she even started wearing black clothes as I do, but stopped after a year or so because she found it depressing. Go figure.
But otherwise she is a real good friend and as I know that her parents are really strict and basically what she criticizes on me is really what her parents wouldn't allow her (when we were kids you know) or what she can't afford, I don't have the heart to tell her off... :-)

26-01-2004
trendsetter

It's tough when to tell them off... you hope they would realize or find their own style, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way, I learned to shop by myself and not to tell her what I bought (it's tough, because you want to be excited about your new wodrobe)

04-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Stealing Style...
some people have a very well defined 'personal style'...
some people don't...
and some people steal their style from others...

basically copying a look that they see in a magazine or on a celeb or some other stylish person...
maybe the best dressed girl in the office or in the school...
or on the internet???...

have you ever had your style 'stolen'?...
have you ever stolen someone else's ...
(and are willing to admit it???..)

what do you think about 'stealing style'...???

04-11-2005
V.I.P.

Good topic....it's a fine line tho....being inspired by something and outrightly STEALING style.
I can honestly say that I don't think I've intentionally stolen someone's style............inspired yes, stolen....no. I mean, I definitely flip through magazines to get a feel for things but there's no way I could copy piece for piece anyway even if I wanted to! As for copying ppl.........hmmm.........I dunno, I love admiring other ppl's style but at this age I kno what I like and I'll wear what I want.
Can anyone say otherwise?
I'd be so flattered if someone stole my style but it hasn't happened yet.....
I've seen ppl who have similar dressing sensibilities but it's not a Susie clone....

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
04-11-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ I agree. Inspiration is fine.

To me, stealing style isn't really a crime. If you see a look or outfit you just love, I see no harm in replicating it. But that's just me. I don't do that myself...but am not offended when I see it happening.

04-11-2005
trendsetter

If you can do it good, I don't mind. But when it's too obvious and not working for the certain person, then it just gets kind of sad.

I like to look at outfits on people and sometimes I will see something and get ideas of how to wear things and so on.

04-11-2005
scenester

^yeah, if its obvious the person is stealing trends and whatnot, it's kind of sad. it's unfortunate (and kind of pathetic) when they can't really pull it off.

04-11-2005
front row

I think there's a line between seeing an outfit you like and trying to recreate it and blatantly copying every style move that person makes...I know I've been inspired by people I've seen, but I wouldn't stalk them to rip off their style entirely. There's no style in that at all, really, if you're just taking credit for what other people worked to create.

04-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Well, I see so many people on a daily basis who aren't even trying that I almost have to applaud anyone who is, almost regardless of the method or the results.

I did have someone imitate my thing of wearing pinky rings on my right hand ... didn't bother me at all. I haven't been aware of anyone borrowing from me otherwise, but I'll be the first to admit that I could have been clueless about it :p I have never stolen anyone else's style. I rarely have specific inspiration I don't think ... I just kind of soak everything in like a little fashion sponge, see what I like, how I think things should be, and then decide what to do :p Like I've been inspired by tFS, but not anything totally specific, just more "directional." It's also very rare for me to ask anyone's opinion. I march to my own inner fashion drummer (who bears no resemblance to the Penn State marching band I might add )

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
stealing, style