How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-02-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Beatrix Ost
Awww, she's sooo beautiful! And stylish, of course.

I actually do consider Anna Wintour a stylish older woman, even if many may not like her.

And in general I find myself extremely fascinated when I see a stylish older woman on the street, in the train etc... It's a rare sight and all the more precious. Not because you cannot be stylish when you're older but because many seem to give up - at least where I live.

Somehow older women with style look better than a pretty teenager - who might have youth but not the story of a life to tell.

25-02-2013
Power to the 99%

^ it's not just where you live

completely agree ... look at isabella rossellini when she was younger ... not a candle to when she was older. it's so often true. i think if you live your life right, it's always true.

28-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
I'd hate for one of the younger members to write, "Stylish, older woman..OK, here's Kate Moss."

such a great thread already! there's an interesting tension here as well, I think that what makes the women you guys posted so stylish is that they do not seem concerned with 'age' at all when dressing.

01-03-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Somehow older women with style look better than a pretty teenager - who might have youth but not the story of a life to tell.
I once had a teacher in her seventies who was absolutely stunning...snow-white hair, she'd wear a long white kaftan sweeping the floor, a meaningful large ring on each finger, and dark smokey kohl around her twinkling blue eyes. She walked with impeccable posture and grace. I was mesmerised by her and looked for photos of her when young, thinking if she's this beautiful now, how gorgeous she must have been when younger...

...she had been quite plain :p
So yes, a lesson for all of us!

When I was a teenager I longed for the day I'd have "sexy wrinkles" on my face like Jeanne Moreau...now I admit, not so much, but still.

01-03-2013
tfs star

I saw this on tumblr a way back, and I thought she looked so cool! If someone my age had worn it she wouldn't look half as elegant, but this woman looked so stylish and elegant. She is wearing leather trousers

I have always been fascinated by older womens' (60 ++ ) hands (when they take care of them). I love the way they wear rings so well and how they groom their nails (I have never seen anyone with acrylics...) I don't like stacking of gold rings with semi- or precious stones on young hands, but on hands that have been lived in, I find it so charming!

Also, Ines de la Fressange is in her mid 50s and is very chic! I think there are many stylish women 50+ out there, but we have to look harder to find them

tumblr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0525.jpg (466.9 KB, 17 views)

01-03-2013
rising star

I´m really impressed with that lady´s style. If her shoes didn´t have that ornament in the front I´d say the outfit was perfect. I so rarely see stylish older women where I live...
Does anybody know of more blogs like Advanced Style?

02-03-2013
front row

tha woman's style is fantastic! I love the colour and cut of her hair as well. it looks like she's on the Berlin subway - so many people with fantastic style in Berlin... I wonder if she knew someone was taking that picture of her, though, and if she knew/knows it was going to be published on the internet.

02-03-2013
fashion insider

The Fabulous Joan Rivers

Fashion Police / Facebook

02-03-2013
fashion icon

I absolutely adore seeing stylish older women, the ones who have a certain joie de vivre that comes across in the way they dress and present themselves. The blog Advanced Style does a wonderful job of capturing some amazingly dressed older women. As Ari said on one of his recent blog posts, "My goal has always been to make older people as a whole more visible and valued in our society, so this topic is one that I hope to continue to address more completely in the future," which is just fantastic to read!

I know I'm quite young, but I think it does help to be surrounded by well-put together older women, they just have a knack that others don't have. I think about my great aunt who wears her hair in a variation of The Gibson Tuck and has done so, since the 1940's, and the reason why she pulls it off is because of the way she carries herself. She's also told me that as long as her hair is styled in such a way she feels put together and ready to conquer the day, which I think is lovely. And I think about my former dance teacher who with her grey, pixie cut and who is now in her 70's, is someone who my best friend and I have cited as an inspiration for how we'd like to age; with grace, elegance, and a spring in our step. It's good for younger people like me to be exposed to such wonderful women, it shows us that while youth isn't forever, a joyful and stylish life can be.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 02-03-2013 at 07:38 PM.
18-09-2013
tfs star

Article in the Daily Mail about upcommin documentary about stylish older women.

Quote:
The 87-year-olds who wear Doc Martens and mini-skirts: World's most glamorous pensioners revealed in new documentary
  • The Channel 4 film, Fabulous Fashionista, follows six stylish pensioners
  • Model Daphne Selfe, 85, and peer Baroness Trumpington, 91, feature
  • Others include Bridget Sojourner, 75 and Jean Woods, also 75
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...cumentary.html

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
older, style, woman