How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-02-2013
windowshopping

Style and the Older Woman
Why is it that everywhere I look I am unable to see a decent representation of the older woman with style in the fashion press. No doubt there have been a select few designers and journalists who showcase older models from time to time but this is only a drop in the ocean of fashion creation and journalism. And yet there are innumerable examples of the classy older woman.

Its seems to me that in a fashion world that spans the globe, creates jobs for millions and clothes the rich and poor of every race, creed and colour a little recognition could be given to women of a certain age who carry themselves with style and elegance.

Older Men are often represented in fashion - Pitti Uomo and the Sartorialist website being examples - but continue looking on that site for an older women and you will have to look hard. Where are the well dressed women between the ages of 45 and 65?

So in honour of the much forgotten older women, or Chic Femme Vintage as I like to call her, I start with Carine Roitfeld. For me she epitomises the sartorially well dressed femme vintage - tailored, classy and sexy.

Do add other names and pictures to this thread as I think the more attention given to this area of forgotten sartorial wealth the better.

20-02-2013
fashion insider

Franca Sozzani..Super-stylish, and well into her 50's (maybe even 60's?) Is this what you had in mind?

(src: Franca's thread via style.it)

20-02-2013
windowshopping

Yes - elegant women of a certain age. Whether they are celebrities or just a chic femme vintage on the street we need to see more of them.

20-02-2013
Geometric Discharge

Iris Apfel just makes everything work.

loveisspeed.blogspot
thefashiondarlingcolumbus.wordpress.com

20-02-2013
fashion insider

How about Lynn Yaeger? Definitely not stylish in the traditional, ultra-glam sense, but very unique approach to dressing up nonetheless..and, she also has a few extra pounds on her. Who says you can't be plus-sized and stylish at the same time?

(src: huffingtonpost.com)

20-02-2013
tfs star

Beautiful and terrifically chic, all of them (Sozzani is 63). So inspiring!

These days, sixties is really still young.
Many teenagers on tFS though, so I hope this "older woman" thread doesn't disintegrate to include ladies in their forties and then eventually thirties...:p ...maybe the title should specify an age? Actually I think we had similar threads somewhere...

Last edited by Melisande; 20-02-2013 at 02:54 PM.
20-02-2013
fashion insider

Specify an age: that's exactly what I was thinking, Melisande..because I'd hate for one of the younger members to write, "Stylish, older woman..OK, here's Kate Moss."

20-02-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
Specify an age: that's exactly what I was thinking, Melisande..because I'd hate for one of the younger members to write, "Stylish, older woman..OK, here's Kate Moss."
LOL, exactly.

20-02-2013
fashion insider

The one, the only..Anna Piaggi. This goes without saying. (sr: chiraghpatel.com)

20-02-2013
V.I.P.

Grace, Susan, Yoko, and Julianne: 50s, 60s and even 80s - all stylish and lovely women!

All sourced from their threads here!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
20-02-2013
fashion insider

And..American clotheshorse Nan Kempner (src: sanfranciscosentinel.com)

20-02-2013
fashion insider

How's this for "stylish" and "older woman"? Carmen Dell'Orefice (sp?) at JPG's first Hermes show, FW04 (src: stylebistro.com)

20-02-2013
fashion insider

(src: fanpop.com)

20-02-2013
Power to the 99%

there's the whole advanced style blog devoted to this ... US bazaar shows older women every month in the fashionable at every age section ... every year older women are recognized in the contest of the same name. oprah is on the cover of her magazine every month, & martha stewart is featured in hers. recently lanvin featured older women in a fantastic campaign.

what i don't like (as someone older than kate moss) is the alterations obvious on many of these women's faces.

24-02-2013
V.I.P.

Beatrix Ost

random5.jpgvirginialiving.jpgIMG_5638.jpg
[ninasubin.com | virginialiving.com | beatrixost.com | advancedstyle.blogspot.com]

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
older, style, woman