How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-03-2006
backstage pass

Teens
Hey guys I;m a teenager and I want to pose a question to you all about what you think teenagers like. I consider myself a fashionabe young male; a testemate to the changing times as a metrosexual but what gets me is people complaing about teens and young America being impressionable conformists but when you go around the, luxury teen brands that permeate all through the nation are conformist stuff. Well most of you seem to be in the fashion industry; why doesn't anyone give options?
The only way to be different is to shop vintage and alot of places don't have vintage; all they have is a Hollister, Old Navy, Abercrombie or American Eagle. There are no experimental teen brands sponning from Marc Jacobs or Karl Lagerfeld. I want different from the OC.

Last edited by Curious; 31-03-2006 at 10:34 AM. Reason: please see tFS guidelines

30-03-2006
scenester

I totally see what you're saying. I too am a teenager whose style does not fit into a category that can be imagined by most of my peers. Someone who is creative and has a wish to look like something more than an American Eagle mannequin has to work hard at it. I think that it would be a refreshing change to see a brand (Not that I condone brands in any way) that could cater to someone more creative. I happen to like some of the stuff that ZAra and Mango put out but a lot of stuff is generally uninspired.

V.I.P.

I'm not from the US but I'm a teenager and have a different style than most of the people my age. It really is hard to find pieces you actually like, when every shop has the same range of clothing. Because of that I try to shop in smaller boutiques, but they tend to have such high prices. I think Zara does make classy clothes, though the quality isn't always the best.Usually I shop there or at the department stores.
My biggest problem is with trousers, especially jeans. I like very classic blue jeans, but all they offer for teenagers are these distressed, washed jeans that remind me of OC. When I find a nice pair of jeans, they tend to be from some line for "women", and their sizing is always too big from the hips. I'm just wondering will this be forever since my hips are apparently not getting any wider...

01-04-2006
front row

for the most part, i just don't only aim for buying things designed particularly for teens. i've definitely noticed that much of the stuff that is made specifically for teenagers looks the same/is just not very attractive. so i guess my suggestion to you would be to not limit yourself to teen brands, wear whatever brands you want. i do, and i like to think i've done a good job of maintaining my own personal style.

01-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoGirl
for the most part, i just don't only aim for buying things designed particularly for teens. i've definitely noticed that much of the stuff that is made specifically for teenagers looks the same/is just not very attractive. so i guess my suggestion to you would be to not limit yourself to teen brands, wear whatever brands you want. i do, and i like to think i've done a good job of maintaining my own personal style.
I second.

01-04-2006
backstage pass

I have the same problem, in fact I just got back from the mall where my friends bought things from hollister, abercrombie, forever21 etc. I just kept thinking I would never be caught dead wearing anything from these stores but where else am I going to buy clothes. Most of my stuff is vintage and basics from h&m and department stores. Its just so hard to find great, original clothes and people who understand and appreciate personal style. Oh well I suppose I'm going to have to wait until college for this or drastically improve my sewing skills so I can just make my own clothes.

01-04-2006
V.I.P.

I have only been into stores like that with friends a couple times. I never go in on my own because I think that the stuff is so typical. I hate Hollister because of their message shirts. AE is the least offensive to me but I just stay away. I find that JcPenney's has a lot of basic shirts that I like. Yes I shop exclusively in Juniors. However I have been able to create a style from shopping at places like Target, JcPenney's, Fred Meyer, and such but also with some hand-me-downs that people love.

I agree about Value Village-places like that can be a treasure trove of goodies. Department stores can also have some good stuff.

I find that most teens shop only for what is cool and not for what they truly like and feel good in.

03-04-2006
V.I.P.

there is a very nice discussion in the beginning of the abercrombie and fitch thread that probably answers your question ragerrick..
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...tch-11270.html

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
04-04-2006
V.I.P.

thats true. I like brands like Abercrombie, Hollister.... except, for the fact that everybody wears them.
however, the brands like marc jacobs, burberry are also good for teenagers. The adolescent years are for us to experience with different things and different ways of lifestyle. In this case, we should be able try different brands of clothing. Fashion lets us show the world what we are like and lets our personalities shine through easily.
I think, that clothing can also show what a certain teenager is feeling and his/her emotions.
Teens shouldn't shop for what's "in", but shop for what they really want and feel comfortable in.

trendsetter

The brands that are made for teens are not my style at all. (hollister, ae, af, aero, pacsun) I find the clothes too generic and similar to each other.

And the 'luxury' teen brands (juicy couture, marc by marc jacobs, etc) are way out of my price range.

I search through my local thrift shop for cool find like funky necklaces. It takes digging and some time though. Also, I try to shop online when I can because theres more variety.

I am also upset that there arent enough teen brands with different options and styles. Until the right brand comes along, I am mixing and matching with vintage, and styles of clothing I like.

05-04-2006
trendsetter

I'm a teenager, and I cannot stand American Eagle. My friends dragged me in there with them and I thought I was about to puke. The clothes are so fake preppy lame surfer laid back California style and it's just gross. And what's with those ginormous logo tees?!? Nasty.

I prefer to shop at Zara and H&M. Once I get a job I'll start buying more luxury designers and I don't see anything wrong with that.

05-04-2006
trendsetter

Out of boredom I ventured onto the 4 most popular teen brands websites (American Eagle, Abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostale)

This is what I found:

They. all. look. the. same.

credits:
http://www.abercrombie.ca/
http://www.hollisterco.ca/
http://www.aeropostale.com
http://www.ae.com/

06-04-2006
trendsetter

As a teenager that doesn't just resort to generic fashion brands, even though my style is not really avant-garde in any way, I think that is the real point of being "fashion conscious" and "fashion forward": not just being able to go to such and such a brand, and buy fashionable, non generic clothes. Because when you think about it, even if it's not the typical A&F, if everything was already laid out in front of us as a brand, then it wouldn't be our fashion. My advice would be to not avoid certain labels simply because they're not catered specifically to teenagers, and mix it up with everything you like.

trendsetter

I like American Eagle and Hollister cause their jeans fit me perfect! A&F does have a few cute sweaters and tops but most of the time they are overpriced, and the plain looking shirts are like $30! I think most teens find themselves in the mall rather than looking around their areas for other stores. I've noticed where I live there;s boutiques that has some pretty nice vintage and urban clothing and many other unique clothes that I dont see around a lot. I only see people who are in their 20's. No teens their. And the prices are just the same maybe a lil bit lower or higher but the difference is, you will find clothing that you will never find anywhere else.

Rather just shopping at the same places that has the same styles its better to mix clothes around and experiment with different styles and go to different stores that arent in the mall. I've always played it safe, just kept my style simple, I need to spice up my style!. But going to A&F, Hollister, and American Eagle isnt a great place to find your own style ( except for the jeans I love the jeans ). I mean I was in love with their clothes when i was in High School, but their clothes and shoes are beginning to bore me.

06-04-2006
backstage pass

I guess you just have to mix and match. It's harder for guys too.You just have to do your best. In the south we have no H&M or Urban out fitters and even if we did alot of Urban Outfitters aesthetics are too vintage new york intullectual.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
teens