How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-02-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBoogie
I tend towards cynicism, but I do think it's self-damaging to wonder if there's a veiled insult hidden inside a compliment.
I agree. I am guilty of being suspicious of compliments. But then I started to notice that there are becoming more and more compliments that I wont accept anymore. I just need to lighten up.

20-02-2007
trendsetter

I do catagorize to some degree, but I've also had experiences where a conservative dresser would compliment one of my outrageous pieces and I'd learn later she wished she had the confidence to experiment in the same way. Or someone with a quirky style that never seems to turn out right might compliment me on how I put together an outfit, and then told me that she tried for the same idea but her outfits just never fit together with any polish and wanted advice. God knows I experiment enough that I'm sure I miss a lot (hey, it's what these years are for), but these compliments were sincere. Those times helped me learn that someone else liking my style reflects very little on their own.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-boy's nature

i have somewhat of a theory that when you REALLY look good, people won't compliment you as openly because they are kind of intimidated or wont admit how great you look,
but when you get compliments when you know your not having such an amazing day, then that means no one is paricularly floored by your outfit so they have no problem lifting your spirits with a compliment.

Anyone agree?....a little
That's interesting.. I do actually agree, sometimes you just know you look fab, no matter what anyone says, and it's usually on those days you don't really get compliments but you just know it..

when I don't dress that good but more casual i get stuff like 'you dress so fun'
fun?????? fun?? Thanks!?

21-02-2007
botanizing on the asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
when someone who is really conservative compliments one of my more unusual pieces...
it just confuses me......

i believe they are being sincere...
but it just catches me off guard...
it seems the weirder i dress, the more conservative people compliment me...which generally just freaks me out!...

i will never understand that...
This happens to me too, frequently with old ladies! I'm not sure what to make of that.....

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
when someone who is really conservative compliments one of my more unusual pieces...
it just confuses me......

i believe they are being sincere...
but it just catches me off guard...
it seems the weirder i dress, the more conservative people compliment me...which generally just freaks me out!...

i will never understand that...
They wish they had the b*lls, is how I interpret that

I know people who have taste, but don't care how they themselves dress ... so I would consider a compliment from a source like that quite valid. OTOH, sometimes someone with relatively awful taste disses my outfit, and I really have to take *that* as a compliment :p

21-02-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-boy's nature
yeah i thought it was pretty shallow of me to be confused or upset when recieving compliments by "oddly dressed" people.

i have somewhat of a theory that when you REALLY look good, people won't compliment you as openly because they are kind of intimidated or wont admit how great you look,
but when you get compliments when you know your not having such an amazing day, then that means no one is paricularly floored by your outfit so they have no problem lifting your spirits with a compliment.

Anyone agree?....a little
toootally agree! not to be snoby or anything, but when you look awesome, people don't want to compliment you because that's like they're admitting you're better than them. unless it's close friends, to which this theory doesn't really apply because they are just being sincere

Last edited by gomtik; 21-02-2007 at 08:30 PM.
22-02-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomtik
toootally agree! not to be snoby or anything, but when you look awesome, people don't want to compliment you because that's like they're admitting you're better than them. unless it's close friends, to which this theory doesn't really apply because they are just being sincere
I dunno. I mean I mostly agree, however I will not be afraid to give someone who looks smashing a compliment. I work in a clothing store so once in a while someone comes in who really has it right in a unique way. I will usually give a compliment unless I'm afraid it will come off in a stalker-admirer way.

windowshopping

I think compliments coming from "boringly" dressed people on more adventurous pieces of clothing are more like, I wish I could wear that and not look stupid... You know, they admire that you can wear something like that but thay can't go out of their comfort zone to do the same.

22-02-2007
& b

well, I dont really get a lot of compliments from people, mostly because I hang out around the same kind of weirdos that dress the same, or similar.

But here an there I get a "i wish i could walk around looking like that" and I take it as a compliment, cause nobody wants to walk around looking like a whore.

I remember when I was in fashion school, i'd dress like a freak, some of you guys remember from pics two years ago, the whole drag gettup, I'd get many many compliments, and I would never take them as a compliment cause I knew it was just me having a ball with myself and me enjoying dressing like that, not dressing to catch a compliment, while they were just saying it cause they didn't know how to say "wtf are you wearing??"

rock-chic

I always appreciate compliments from anyone, no matter what they are wearing, but I especially like it from people whose style I really admire. I also compliment people who dress very different to me because what THEY wear suits THEM.

24-02-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
I don't categorize the compliments I get, I take them all as positive. Even if the person complimenting you would not dress in a way you prefer, I don't think it necessarily tells anything about their taste. Maybe they actually would like a style that is something else than what they have, but don't dare because of the social pressure, because they think they'd thought to be vain or because they try too hard and hence fail in what they are trying to achieve.
Completely, completely agree

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by caragwapa View Post
I think compliments coming from "boringly" dressed people on more adventurous pieces of clothing are more like, I wish I could wear that and not look stupid... You know, they admire that you can wear something like that but thay can't go out of their comfort zone to do the same.
i guess that is what i have come to realize now...
i didn't understand that for a long time...
but now i realize that it actually is quite brave to be yourself without regard for what everyone else around you is doing...

i guess i just took it for granted for most of my life...
i just didn't understand, because i only saw it from my perspective...
and i was always different so i didn't get what the big deal was...
i didn't realize that it was something that other people would admire and wish for in themselves...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
compliment