How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-08-2009
tfs star

I had to wear casual clothing more often when I had to go to school, but I tried to get to wear dresses as often as possible. When I had to go to the shoe store I went straight to the black Maryjane shoes, even though some of those times I was supposed to be looking at sneakers.

04-08-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I liked Mary Janes then too Still have quite a few, even though my high arch is a little difficult to fit. And I remember when my mother ordered me some in black or brown from Sears or some catalog, and they came in red accidentally, I begged successfully to keep them. It's all about the red shoes for me, apparently

04-08-2009
windowshopping

I LOVE Mary Janes! I wore Mary Janes as part of my grade school uniform. Most kids hated wearing the uniforms...but I never did. I always thought our pinafores were similar to the kind Alice in Wonderland wore. So, I always cultivated the pinafore, Mary Janes, and knee socks/tights look.

04-08-2009
trendsetter

This is such a cute thread! It brings me back.

Things I was attracted to as a child.....

Fringe. Like in the '80s (when I was a kid) sometimes I saw a lady wearing a leather jacket that had leather or suede fringe running along the seam of the arms and across the yoke. I always wanted to touch it and thought it looked so cool. Of course now I wouldn't want anything to do with those jackets but then it looked so cool and fun to play with.

Dangly earrings. That's what I called them. They just seemed so cool to me. I guess I liked swingy things that looked like you could play with them. Maybe I liked playing with my mom's.

Stick-out bathing suits. This is what I called two-piece bathing suits because when you wear them your belly button sticks out.

My pink patent mary-janes. I think I still have some in a box of baby things too. I loved them and would get another of the exact same kind when I grew and had to go up a size too.

Jelly shoes. Except I called them glass slippers and pretended I was cinderella. Hated how stones always go stuck in the bottom though.

Wearing dresses. All all the time. I think this lasted until about second grade (age 7ish) when got less hardcore girly somehow. When I was old enough to go to school, I learned to wear bike shorts under them so I could still go on the swings and monkey bars and no one would see my underwear.

Pink everything and anything. Even things like foods. It didn't matter what it was if there was a pink option in anything that was what I wanted. And if there was no pink but there was red, I called it pink and chose that.

That's all that stands out that I was attracted to off the top of my head.

One thing I hated: saddle shoes. I had pink and white ones. I don't know why but to this day I still hate them. Maybe someone I didn't like wore them? Maybe that pair just hurt my feet and to this day I still hate all saddle shoes.

oh! darling

Maybe it was because I lived in Germany but I had never heard of Jellies until I heard Dane Cook say it on one of his CDs from 2005.

I loved wearing my Barbie shoes that had Velcro straps. So convenient that I don't know why we don't do it for adult shoes (if you're not a senior citizen). Am I right?

Ripped jeans: I thought I was the sh*t when my jeans had holes in the knees.

I used to always roll down my socks. If they had a pretty pattern like a flower or some kind of frill, I would roll them down so everyone could see.

Power to the 99%

^ I've had shoes with Velcro before as an adult Sporty kinda shoes ...

04-08-2009
oh! darling

Thank goodness! I've recently realized how convenient little kids shoes are because I seem to be doing much more tying than I'm comfortable with.

I loved everything with Mickey or Minnie Mouse on it. OBSESSED.

backstage pass

It took me really long before I could tie my laces, so untill I was 8 I hated laced shoes . Other then that I pretty much liked everything bright coloured, matching didn't really matter. I remember I had a matching yellow/orange/blue shirt & short wich I lived in.
Oh those were the times !

05-08-2009
tfs star

I didn't figure out the laces until 8. I thought I was just being slow but recently I realized that I took longer than other kids because I avoided wearing sneakers as often as I could.

05-08-2009
windowshopping

Full disclosure: I STILL don't know how to tie my laces in anything other than the "bunny ears" way. It's because of those darn Mary Janes I loved so much. I never wore anything else until I went to college.

05-08-2009
tfs star

If the bunny ears are what I think, that's the only way I ever tie shoes. I like that one way anyway since it looks like a floopy bow.

05-08-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBelle View Post
Full disclosure: I STILL don't know how to tie my laces in anything other than the "bunny ears" way. It's because of those darn Mary Janes I loved so much. I never wore anything else until I went to college.
Me neither . On the other and, why would I? It seems to work so .

06-08-2009
backstage pass

When I was at school there was a real fashion in sports type clothing... It's all I really remeber wanting ... a shell suit was a big thing for a few years... and it could only be nike or addidas... then pringle jumpers where in in a big way with the nick faldo golfer logo on them... every girl wanted them and when you think on it now... kind of daft... but at the time and for me they where my first step into the world of cashmere as I remeber my grandad buying me a cashmere one for christmas one year... which was like the ultimate and I think a lot of my friends where jealous... the bigger the patterns the better also...

And sweater shop jumpers where in for a while too... or mckenzie sweatshirts...

As for other things I loved it was jeans and also a leather jacket... bomber one... Or a Berghaus fleece or North Face fleece... had to be one of those!

Seems really unfeminine now but that was what every girl in the school wore! It was in 1990 though!

06-08-2009
Riot Bug

when i was a child i wear uniform 5 days a week for the only girls catholic school...
but i remember when i didn't have to wear that i was so attached to my old brother rock t shirts and shirts and my old sister's dresses...
I also remember one of the lil' times i had to spend with my mother as a regular basis was when she was getting ready to go at nights and she asked me what fitted more with something or other thing... complements... not too far ago my friend Trizzia told me ive got good eye to get the right complements...& what fit with what... maybe was my childhood -not on purpose training- to get closer to my mum hahaha.

I loved things that mean something... u know clothes attached to good memories....or meaningful ones. Still im sticking more in the meaning of the clothes sometimes that in the clothes itself... and im still having a thing for men clothes...love 'em... love to put them even if they look loose on me as when i was a child and i did try my brothers stuff that were like looong dresses to me hahahaha

front row

When I was a kid we had to wear uniform which was not easily customisable and usually I was just wearing jumpers etc which my Grandma knitted for me, but when I didn't wear uniform I used to wear all 'old fashioned girly' clothing - like flowery dresses, big floppy hats, frilly socks and buckle over shoes. still do actually!
I also liked wearing bows in my hair, always bows, I used to make them myself out of birthday present ribbons and stick them onto alice-bands.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attracted, child, things