How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-11-2006
front row

Not offensive, just pointless. I meant one thing, melt interpreted it is another. I wouldn't have answered if she hadn't have ask for me to be clearer. Otherwise, its totally off topic.

Its not both your faults though, us Brits do have a certain way with humour...

19-11-2006
V.I.P.

If I am not mistaken, Melt is British. But yes, I do not understand "the humor" in your posts...you were posting those examples as a joke? I am confused.

I was simply meaning that I do not see anything dark in those persons you selected, nor do I view grunge as the "darkest you can get". I do not get how grunge has anything to do with dressing "darkly" or having hints of dark in you clothing. The style of grunge was about dressing shabbily or slouchy/ripped or otherwise "anti-fashion" clothes. I do not think there's anything dark with that.

But yes, this is off topic.

It would help us if the original starter of the thread would tell us which kind of "dark" he is looking for, is he more about simplicity/rock'n'roll etc. "A touch of darkness" is a broad topic...

front row

Orlando Bloom was not, i repeat NOT, an example of somebody with a 'dark' dress sense. I was merely stating that, much like Johnny Depp, he can often look contrived, almost silly. It was meant to be in a sarcastic tone. Hence the '!' I apologise for any confusion, I'm not going for the booker prize here.

I think that Depp does have elements of darkness within his look. I'm only suggesting googling some photos as a possible inspiration, not a lifestyle guide. As you have mentioned, and I have seconded, we don't know what look this chap is going for, I'm merely offering a possible example. Alas, we are not all fortunate enough to be expert in this field.

If you look throughout history, artists and grunge rockers typically have a dark style. Kurt Cobain for example. Again, I'm not saying that Cobain is the pinnacle of darkness, it is just an idea.

Some people take this waaay too seriously.

And F.Y.I, I may live in Manchester, but I've spent 18 years in Birmingham, so we're all guilty of misconception

V.I.P.

Again, I am not trying to offend but I am taking some of your comments a little bit offensive.

I wasn't taking it so that you are meaning Depp is the definition of dark dressing, but what exactly are the dark elements you see in that style?

Grunge started in the late 80s. It is not very relevant to include the words "throughout the history" with that. I agree, there might have been artists with the "dark touch" in their style.

Maybe I am taking things seriously, but I want to discuss and therefore try to understand what others are meaning, and maybe even debate of the subject. If that is taking something too seriously, then yes, I am too serious.

Last edited by Whitelinen; 19-11-2006 at 10:24 AM.
19-11-2006
front row

I have no intention of offending anyone, but I take it personally when I make a suggestion and it is attacked.

I don't wish to have a 'debate,' I'm somply offering my two cents on a subject.

This site is for the most part, subjective. Ones persons opinion may contradict anothers. Neither of them are wrong, they are just different. I'm not making any suggestions that what I say is gospel, it's one of a billion opinions.

If every time I make a comment on this site is it to be picked apart and critiqued, that is not what I signed up for.

V.I.P.

But can't you answer to my question? I am not saying you are wrong, but opinions are to be discussed. Right now, I do not see where you are coming from with Depp's style, and I would like to understand what you are meaning? That is what I am trying to do; discuss. I would like to see why do you have the opinion you have. Be kind and look up the last post I made before this, and answer my question since I am curious.

front row

I. Just. Do.

V.I.P.

No, I mean, if you are stating the person should look up for Depp's pictures in order to get some tips to his "dark" style, what are those "dark elements" you see in Depp's style? How can the person who started this thread know what you are meaning if you can't find any reasons behind your opinion?

backstage pass

Ok, back to the topic .

WhiteLinen, actually I like both so that doesn't really help. But I think the "simplicity"-version is more me (well, at least what I count as simplicity). I like rock&roll too, but I think it's harder to pull of without looking trying too hard.

19-11-2006
V.I.P.

^ True. If you are going for simplicity, I would, as the word means, keep everything very simple. I would not wear black head-to-toe, but try to collaborate different shades, as has been said in this thread. I would go for very good quality and materials, since with darker shades bad quality looks awful. I am very bad with menswear collections, but there are many good menswear collections which could help you here in tFS. I would look for Japanese designers.

Rock'n'roll easily turns into something "try hard" as you said.

Last edited by Whitelinen; 19-11-2006 at 10:49 AM.
19-11-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

ka-ni-ta-
you haven't posted ANY credits for ALL of those pics...
please ---can you add then so they don't all have to be deleted...?

thanks...

19-11-2006
backstage pass

Unfortunatly, I'm only a student so my budget is limited. But I do think it's a good idea to look for good quality (well, the best i can afford) .

19-11-2006
V.I.P.

But see, if you buy good quality clothes, they last and you don't have to buy new clothes so often Quality does not have to be designer, which often even isn't good quality. I feel your pain, as quality costs more, but in the long run it costs less. Maybe you could purchase all the key-pieces in very good quality and buy others from more affordable places?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
ka-ni-ta-
you haven't posted ANY credits for ALL of those pics...
please ---can you add then so they don't all have to be deleted...?

thanks...
Please remove them, they are no good on this thread anyway.

19-11-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
Suggest checking out the New Gothic thread ... as far as black, can't you just avoid wearing it next to your face? Charcoal grey makes a softer alternative. (Btw, I believe our querent is an homme ...)

I think we also have a thread called A Soft Grey Season that you might also find interesting ...

I don't look that great in black either, but I also have the option of addressing that to some extent with makeup. It's so easy that I have plenty of black in my wardrobe anyway ...
i agree with this completely...
try a loose voluminous grey scarf wrapped loosely around your neck...
that softens up the look considerably..
also try navy and even ivory can be gorgeous as a bit of a layer by the face...

ie- wear a blk top but layer with a white/ivory or grey t shirt under-
just that little bit of softness by your face would help loads...

i touch of red is great too--red cashmere scarf...yum!...
or tartan...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
darkness, touch