How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-11-2006
backstage pass

A touch of darkness
I really like clothes with somekind of 'dark touch' (really don't know how else to describe it) but find it very hard to translate this into my own wardrobe/style. Black clothes look awfull on me (they make me look sick, and that isn't the look i'm aiming for) and skulls and such seem so obvious. So I wonder if anyone has any tips or advice? Help is much appreciated

13-11-2006
rising star

How about colors in the chocolate brown, dark greys and charcoal variety. You can make either or pop with small accents of beige, blue, pinks etc. I myself got tied of black more than anything and started to do the mentioned to mix it up!

13-11-2006
backstage pass

I think it might turn out to be rather difficult to get a "dark touch" without actually wearing black...
black is too beautiful to not be worn, so I personally don't really care whether I look pale/sick/bad in it or not (which I guess is probably part of the appeal - just wear it!)
by the way, I know I'm not exactly being overly useful here.

13-11-2006
V.I.P.

Well, black can be used in a way that it won't make the wearer look pale or ill. You just have to pick the best quality and maybe avoid certain ways of wearing black. I agree with suggesting on concetrating on darker shades of other colours - dark reds (burgundy...), browns, blues, purples...

I'd take a look on some film noirs and famous femme fatales' wardrobes. Many Japanese and Belgian designers work well with dark colours in their collections, but I am not sure whether that is waht you are after.

Good thing that you are avoiding skulls and such. They do not look "dark" these days, even if they would suit to other styles.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany
I really like clothes with somekind of 'dark touch' (really don't know how else to describe it) but find it very hard to translate this into my own wardrobe/style. Black clothes look awfull on me (they make me look sick, and that isn't the look i'm aiming for) and skulls and such seem so obvious. So I wonder if anyone has any tips or advice? Help is much appreciated
I know what you mean, I like that to I'll try to find some pictures you might use as inspiration.

13-11-2006
V.I.P.

Ann Demeulenmeester is always great (like WhiteLinen said, Belgian designers!)

I think grayish colours are great:

What also ads a draker feel: The shape, I think a longer shape works great with this style, slim trousers/jeans and long fine (layerd) drape neck tops.

I'll post some outfits I 'made' on the what outfit would you wear thread, maybe they are of some help

This one is with lighter colours, but maybe you'll like it

More an evening outfit (jet jewellery is always great)

I like Purple with gray and black

Looking back, they might not be really good, but I hope they are of any help.

13-11-2006
V.I.P.

Demeulemeester

I have same kind of problems with "dark colours" myself. I like, no, I love and adore dark colours beoynd all, but sometimes I fear I look like a goth...which is a look I do not like at all, though the actual high fashion gothic trend has been quite nice. I tend to wear too much black, and sometimes myself fear it washes me out, but then I do see so many people dressed wonderfully in black, there definetily are good ways to wearing it. I am yet to figure out which ways are the best...advice for that?

Sometimes I think I should try and start wearing lighter colours or more colours, but dark colours and black are too "me". I have been wearing them since I was a 4-year-old. Bit off-topic, I admit.

front row

Hmmm...most of my photos are old (and have no credits...), but why not look to stars like lou doillon for inspiration? She has the 'darker' look without looking gothic or too mainstream (as you mentioned with skulls, etc)

little soul

navy is a great colour for a 'dark touch' that works well with other colours, like grey and purple

14-11-2006
Bel
front row

For anyone who likes black but think's they don't look good in it, I find the neckline makes a big difference. Black t-shirts make me look extremely pale but if it's more open at the neckline I look good.

15-11-2006
trendsetter

Kan-i-ta i adore that marni coat you posted !!!

Power to the 99%

Suggest checking out the New Gothic thread ... as far as black, can't you just avoid wearing it next to your face? Charcoal grey makes a softer alternative. (Btw, I believe our querent is an homme ...)

I think we also have a thread called A Soft Grey Season that you might also find interesting ...

I don't look that great in black either, but I also have the option of addressing that to some extent with makeup. It's so easy that I have plenty of black in my wardrobe anyway ...

15-11-2006
backstage pass

I am a homme indeed, so the lovely things mentioned by kan-i-ta are no option for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
I don't look that great in black either, but I also have the option of addressing that to some extent with makeup. It's so easy that I have plenty of black in my wardrobe anyway ...
Wearing black in pants and such is no problem, said avoiding it round the face is the main thing. I do love charcoal and all other shades of grey.

I'll check the threads you mentiond, see what i can find there .

15-11-2006
V.I.P.

[quote=Fewormany]I am a homme indeed, so the lovely things mentioned by kan-i-ta are no option for me .

quote]

Didn't even notice

Sorry....

16-11-2006
front row

Great thread. I saw the most beautifully done dark look on a girl not long ago. Part of the look I *think* you're talking about involves cooler even muddy colors rather than rich, warm colors. The girl had on some dark maybe faded black or dark dark gray jeans and layered slinky, spare top and sweater that were like 'old tattoo' colors - some dark muted ocean blue (OK, stormy ocean blue), some mushroom and dark taupe, gray, etc. Long dark hair, thin, stilettos, perfect look. In addition to the cool, sometimes muddy colors I'd add that things helping with the look are fluidity in the lines - raw edge hems or shawl-collar or simple stand-up minor drac collar - just think of the opposite of anything you'd typically get at J. Crew and you should be fine. Among celebs, it almost doesn't need to be said, but Angelina Jolie does the look well.

Minimal makeup should be needed but two things that can work are smoky eye designs and stains instead of lip glosses or colors - Vincent Longo's Neo Aura lipstain might be a good basic to start with.

Among clothing looks out there now, there are a lot of (very casual) screen print tees with dark, muted scrollwork and such that are good for the look.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
darkness, touch