How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Apr 3rd, 2004 - 1:37 pm
Therein lies the problem. Vintage dressing has become so popular that even contemporary dresses are being tagged as vintage if they carry an echo of a 1920s flapper or a 1950s movie star.
I think that in this case, the term "vintage" is being confused with "vintage inspired."

03-04-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia+Apr 3rd, 2004 - 9:40 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(purplelucrezia @ Apr 3rd, 2004 - 9:40 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@Apr 3rd, 2004 - 1:37 pm
Therein lies the problem. Vintage dressing has become so popular that even contemporary dresses are being tagged as vintage if they carry an echo of a 1920s flapper or a 1950s movie star.
I think that in this case, the term "vintage" is being confused with "vintage inspired." [/b][/quote]
exactly

10-04-2004
scenester

i have fallen in love with vintage stuff, bcuz everyone wears the same stuff, and anything you get in a vintage store,nobody else is going to have it! i oln yhave one shirt, because there's not many vintage stores around where i live, but there is one in boston with shopping bags that say doggie bag on them, i love that store! and i think there's two other vintage ones, i cant remember

12-04-2004
Fierce Flava

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Mar 21st, 2004 - 10:28 am
Another one of my favourites!
I like that dress a lot! that is very cute!...

Is that you in the pics...if it is you're pretty..you got nice skin

I want nice skin... the dress wouldn't hurt too

Girl, you got great style!

12-04-2004
Proponent of Plaid

I have some *great* vintage:

Late 1940s woolen dress. Hand-me-down from a neighbor-lady whose mother wore it in highschool in central Nebraska in the late 1940s. Influences of the New Look can be seen in the long skirt and the superflous fabric detailing, though the kimono-cut sleeves of the early 1940s and the modest fullness of the skirt point up the tentative acceptance of the new fashion. A rare, transitional garment. Label reads "Doris Dodson Originals."

Detail shot of the bodice.

For some reason, this dress didn't photograph well. The centre-front of the skirt is a panel of 6 knife pleats.

12-04-2004
Proponent of Plaid

My Pucci-esque 1970s maxidress. So obnoxious. One of my favorite dresses ever! I need to take a proper picture of this dress on my dressmaker's dummy so the colors show up better and you don't have to see my Mimi makeup job. My husband and I were going to a Tacky Party. He'd have my guts for garters if I posted his Disco-Era portrait for that party. Let's just say that plaid, polyester bellbottoms, a deeply-unbuttoned shirt, gold chains, and a Peter Frampton hairdo were de rigeur.

Another maxi-dress, with a more romantic feel. It used to have a sash that matched the coral-color flowers, but I haven't seen it in ages. I think it might have been lost in one of my all-too-frequent moves during my college years.

12-04-2004
Proponent of Plaid

One last set!

Green-and-blue nylon floral gown. The cut is mid-60s, the fabric is late-60s; this may be a home-made dress made in fabric bought a few years after the pattern was printed...there are no existing labels, though that doesn't discount people removing itchy store labels... This was bought in the same lot as that orange maxidress and the peasant-top maxidress. All Goodwill scores.

This one was my mom's back in the day! It has a soft, flannel-like feel, but it is a knit. Elastic-smocked bodice, bias-cut skirt, sash ties in back. This dress is so comfy and figure-flattering. I look lousy in blue, but I wear it sometimes anyhow, just because it is such a cool piece. I used to wear it a LOT in highschool, but vintage dressing was not so popular in the early 1990s, so I got mocked a lot, not that this stopped me in particular.

This one is from my Mother-In-Law. She made it back in the late 1960s. She's really short (5'0") and so on her it was a modest nearly-knee-length minidress, but on me, it is a Ginger-Spice, barely-fingertip-length micromini. The front zip is one of those invisible zippers, and looks best when left unzipped about 4"

12-04-2004
fashion icon

I love the dress from your mother in law, as you like it. Also, the green and blue dress is absolitely lovely!

12-04-2004
Fierce Flava

Yeah I like the pattern of the blue and green floral dress a lot.

You got some great vintage finds !

12-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sephora_Socialite+Apr 12th, 2004 - 1:17 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sephora_Socialite @ Apr 12th, 2004 - 1:17 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-purplelucrezia@Mar 21st, 2004 - 10:28 am
Another one of my favourites!
I like that dress a lot! that is very cute!...

Is that you in the pics...if it is you're pretty..you got nice skin

I want nice skin... the dress wouldn't hurt too

Girl, you got great style! [/b][/quote]
Thanks Sephora_Socialite. Yes, that's me, and yes I do love those dresses!

Great stuff as you like it!

12-04-2004
Fierce Flava

Made a trip to a vintage store and got some great finds...!

Some really interesting chandelier earrings-$2
A turqoise tulle skirt-$5..I feel like a ballerina in it!

Also....a old lady I know gave me some great vintage stuff...One is a skirt that is the most adorable vintage pleated salmon colored skirt..but its too small. I'm not anywhere near skinny

I'll probably sell it or give it to another vintage lover...I'll post a pic..I might give it to ya if you like it...

I'm going to try to get some pics because I have a lot of vintage to share!

19-04-2004
V.I.P.

I've discovered this site of 60's scans and am now very happy... http://www.skaro.com/sixtiesgrrl/

Also, for those who can actually sew (you know who you are):
http://www.skaro.com/larpcostlist.html
*sigh*

19-04-2004
Procrastinator.

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Apr 19th, 2004 - 1:12 pm
Also, for those who can actually sew (you know who you are):
http://www.skaro.com/larpcostlist.html
*sigh*
Asyoulikeit is going to have an absolute field day with those!

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie

19-04-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Oh totally. I think I already have some of those sewing patterns. I frequent garage sales and thrift shops looking for old patterns. It is the one thing I can honestly say that I collect. Well, vintage sewing patterns and Volkswagen memorabilia...

19-04-2004
V.I.P.

michelle, that nylon blue and lime green floral pattern dress is A-MAZING

love the color, the simple cut and the pattern

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
vintage