How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-07-2006
scenester

hey guys!
i need help. i have a pair of bcbg black boots that i don't know to do with anymore. i bought it last year and never got the chance to wear it and i don't know when i'll wear it or what to wear it with anymore.
so i've thought about selling it on ebay, but i don't think i'll get even half the amount of money i spent on them back.
but keeping it and not wearing them seems a waste.
what should i do?

17-07-2006
V.I.P.

I would donate the sweater (because it is polyester) you could make a not so stylish eastern european woman really happy with that piece.
I would keep the boots, but only wear them with a pants over the shaft, because they are cowboyboots like.

17-07-2006
front row

I think you're right when you say that you probably won't get a lot of money on it on eBay. The trend has mostly passed, I think. On the good side, though, cowboy boots will probably come back at some point. So I think it would be worthwhile to keep it.

And for some reason, the wooden heel and sole really bothers me. I think if you could paint or stain it somehow, the boots might be a little more classic, less trendy?

17-07-2006
scenester

thanks! i guess i'll store it haha.
well, i was thinking about staining the heel and sole. but i don't how or what color to stain it? would black make it look really weird? i don't know i can't picture it with another color.

18-07-2006
front row

#21 : Alenjandro, i would store it.. it looks very classic

front row

Yasmin...The heel of pair 1 won't come back in that incarnation--donate them. That's the bummer about shoes...they change subtley but most people can spot the difference. That's why we always want to buy more.

Donate pair 2. They remind me of KorkEase but the toe strap is fussy.

Store pair 3 til next summer. They're a variation on the gladiator shoe...more like gladiator height sandals. Interesting.

Love this thread!

Last edited by Stylebites; 19-07-2006 at 12:16 PM.
19-07-2006
backstage pass

Thanks kan-i-ta and Stylebites,

I posted those a while ago, and I ended up donating pairs 1 and 2 of the shoes, I wore pair 3 last weekend but still unsure if I like them, and I donated the sweatercoat.

Great minds must think alike because this is pretty much exactly what you've suggested I'll have to post some more to this thread, it's very helpful

EDIT: I've taken down the pictures of the items that I've already donated - no item, no photo!

Life is Short

Last edited by Yasmin; 19-07-2006 at 12:26 PM.
20-07-2006
front row

This might be helpful for this forum. For the shoes you store away for the future, you might try the clear shoe boxes that I blogged about today.

Maybe you already have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clearbox2.jpg (28.2 KB, 1 views)

20-07-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by seychan
thanks! i guess i'll store it haha.
well, i was thinking about staining the heel and sole. but i don't how or what color to stain it? would black make it look really weird? i don't know i can't picture it with another color.
I don't know how you would do it or how it would look. Perhaps if you took it to a cobber, they could make suggestions? Good luck!

Stylebites, good idea about the shoes. I use the clear containers from the Container Store myself.

22-11-2006
backstage pass

Wear, Store, Donate?
I haven't been wearing these. Should I be?

1. Looks kinda messy in the photo - interlocking silver-tone chain (links are kinda large, but not huge) necklace that doubles over to a medium length (or you could wear it really long).

2. Three strings of white beads. At the time I thought maybe there would be something I could wear with this but I haven't come up wit anything.

3. Silver(plated? not sure but it's tarnished and the heart is heavy), thinner chain with a smooth, 3d heart pendant.

Life is Short
22-11-2006
once more, with feeling

^ I like #3. but i love hearts. I'd wear that, and the others, I'd donate. (It's hard to resell jewelry unless it was expensive to begin with.)

V.I.P.

Yasmin: 1, store/wear, 2 donate/throw, 3 wear

24-11-2006
backstage pass

Thanks quimby and LVizo, consider #2 gone.

Any more feedback on #1 and #3? What outfits could they be worn with if I keep them?

Life is Short
26-11-2006
V.I.P.

Yasmin: I think nr 1 would be gorgeous with a grey u/v-neck, plain jeans and something black. Nr 3, im not sure about, i know i said you should wear it, but it looks kinda cheap. I say, donate/throw it.

28-11-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious
Now I have a related question...

We all have those X number of lbs ago clothes whether they're too tight or too loose...
With things that you like a lot - especially things that aren't terribly trendy, if your weight fluctuates a bunch or if you might get pregnant and need the larger sizes, etc., I say if you have the space, store it! Better yet, store it by approximate size - like everything that fit you when you considered yourself an 8 - even if it was a 10 or 6, should go together. Or you could at least have a 'too small' box and a 'too big' box.

If tight on space, still keep what you love most - and keep classics or high end items - unless you're just as happy selling them and can get a good price for them. Things you don't like or that aren't flattering, no matter what the size, sell or donate.

I had very good luck going through my whole closet with a critical eye and sticking everything that wasn't flattering and that I didn't really like in a big box. I wound up with a much more workable wardrobe. Kept the box, went through it later to see if anything should've been ruled in, etc.

---

And about the original post - I think if you wear number 3 (the only one I can see actually, other pics are gone) - would do it with very modern, minimalist clothing - so that it's part of an actual look and not a too-strappy faux pas. In other words, wear it with something it looks like you meant to wear it with on purpose.

Last edited by cbcb; 28-11-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
donate, return, sell, store, wear