How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2006
backstage pass

Wear, Return, Store, Sell or Donate?
Previously, I asked if such a thread existed and I was told, No, I should start one... it took me forever to actually get started and here it is

Anyway, this thread like "yay or nay" in shopping and the other threads, BUT, it is about clothing you ALREADY own - this is about going through that closet and looking at those dusty items and deciding -- will you wear it again?? or is it time to donate??

Since we ALREADY own these items, it's probably best to be a little more lenient in your judgements -- While you may have to LOVE it to buy it, you might just have to think it's "Okay" to wear it when you already have it. But, of course, if it makes you feel ill to see -- donate!! (if you LOVE something you already own, no need to post it here, of course!!) but if you can't decide if it's OKAY or ICK.... then you post it here for the Judges

---------------------------------------------

I'm going to get started with some shoes...sandals actually... but again since this is "Wear or Donate" I don't really want to put them in Shoes Yay or Nay, that's different... -- after this, I'm probably going to have some shirts and things to put in this thread.... my closet is bursting but I don't wear most of it!!

Now something to consider with these sandals I'm going to post, I don't have more of each "type", these are my only examples of them, so if you think they are wearable but not great, say "wear", because I don't really want to replace them right now if they're still reasonable. (I'll wait until I see something I love.)

A. Brown metallicish "stripper shoes"
B. Olive green "hippie platforms"
C. Shiny brown "strappys"

06-01-2006
trendsetter

I say donate all three of 'em

06-01-2006
front row

^Yep, I agree.

But when I'm deciding that, though, I almost always try and work them into my wardrobe and see if I can come up with outfits. Otherwise, toss them!

06-01-2006
V.I.P.

yes donate them all -the chunk is so over- (I hope)

V.I.P.

Thanks for the great thread Yasmin

I'm going to add store to the title as an option too. Hope you don't mind, but I think some things should be stored for a trend resurgence in cases where the item is high quality in good condition and one has the space

So, for your shoes, I'd say donate 1 & 3 and store 2. I might even try to wear the second pair if you can find the right outfit!

06-01-2006
etre soi-meme

i'd say donate 2, wear 1 & 3, they are quite hot for ss06

06-01-2006
V.I.P.

Can't see the first picture but I'll say donate the 2nd pair and store 3rd.

06-01-2006
V.I.P.

Now I have a related question...

We all have those X number of lbs ago clothes whether they're too tight or too loose...
How many sizes do you store "just in case" there's another fluctuation?
I have two storage bins full of high quality classic garments in 2 sizes ago proportions I'm talking wool trousers, classic knits, etc.
Is it time to give them up or consider consignment and take it down to the 1 size ago clothes?

I have such a hard time with the "just in case" scenario... thoughts please

Last edited by Curious; 06-01-2006 at 11:11 AM.
06-01-2006
backstage pass

And there is one more possible option with your old clothes isn't there?? Not so much with your old shoes...

ALTERATIONS.... like if it's a minor size issue or changing the hem or minimizing the shoulder fabric (sometimes removing any shoulderpads is not enough...) etc... not like we are all expert seamstresses here who can make anything out of anything, but if we know a little bit about sewing or even if it means a few dollars to the alterations place, it's usually worth it...

06-01-2006
backstage pass

Curious, I would say if it can't be altered to fit you now (that would be my first choice), it depends on how much your weight fluctuates. If it has been very, very long since you were that size, maybe it would be better to at least let go of what is not your very favorite.

If you have many clothes in your closet that don't fit they are either telling you you're "too fat" (you should be able to fit into me!) or "you'll be fat again" (or else why are you holding on to me?) when your closet should really just give you REAL options which make you feel good that you have so many nice things you can wear right now. After all, we should all feel good right now! not someday!

Plus if you go down a size, you get to go on that self-esteem-boosting shopping trip... you get fresh new things and feel just great... you will hardly mind the bill at all

Last edited by Yasmin; 06-01-2006 at 01:24 PM.
06-01-2006
Storm & Sommer

donate 1+2 - store 3

06-01-2006
daisy in my lazy eye

1 - store
2 - donate
3 - wear!

Curious, my advice is listen to Oprah :p If you haven't been able to drop weight in the past few years or to keep it off, then get rid of the clothes that are too small. You're only torturing yourself, while you look fine the way you are now! You could try taking in some of the stuff that's too big, and otherwise there's most likely the opportunity to change it into money

06-01-2006
tfs star

donate 1+2
store 3

06-01-2006
V.I.P.

Curious-
My rule is - if you haven't worn it in the past year- it's past it's expiration date- unless you are currently losing wieght and think that you'll fit into them if you keep doing what you're doing.

and if they're too big- try having them taken in. otherwise get rid of them. you never want to give yourself an "in case I gain weight" option- that will give you less incentive to not gain weight

windowshopping

Donate 2
Store 1+3

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
donate, return, sell, store, wear