How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-04-2011
oh! darling

I thought wedding, but only if you're the bride.

And I thought a garden party: white lace dress, white clutch, white flats, white headband or flowers. I think it can be done. Especially a springtime theme. I suppose it can be done but only occasionally. And I don't mean every once in a while. I mean during occasion times only (wedding, special party, etc.)

02-05-2013
V.I.P.

I've been "obsessed" with all-white looks for about a couple months now and have been trying to find my way around it, same procedure of layers/textures/whatever. Anyway, found the prettiest dress not long ago (pearly white, pleated, with some crochet/brocade thing going on, perfect cut/weight, super comfortable), thought I hit the jackpot, and apparently, it's now also my most awkward purchase to date .. I was in such a "DONT YOU LOVE THIS?!" mode and for some reason, continued to receive weird "hmmm ..yeah" reactions (+confused stare) and didn't get it until my sister finally said "it's just that you're dressed like you're heading to your wedding" (which makes it especially tormenting as I wore it with a guy I'm seeing the other day ).. what the hell!. I asked a friend about it and he says he thought I already knew it was a wedding dress (it's not a wedding dress!!).

Probably the worst case of all-white looks gone wrong, the association never even popped in my mind, ugh.. now I'll have to murder it in order to continue wearing it and make it two separate things (skirt and top).

I guess.. the problem is my approach, cause you have to keep it super light otherwise the amount of detailing does scream bride. How annoying.

Random but some visuals ..
white1.jpgwhite2.jpg
(stylebistro / seaofshoes)

trendsetter

Now I want to see it (before you make a crime :p), I'm sure it looks beautiful.

Lately I'm looking for white dresses too, but in a more minimalistic/modern/structured style and short to mid-length. I love the following two examples:

asos

Shame they are both polyester, who would wear synthetic dress that's meant to be worn in high summer.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 02-05-2013 at 04:57 PM.
02-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I've been "obsessed" with all-white looks for about a couple months now and have been trying to find my way around it, same procedure of layers/textures/whatever. Anyway, found the prettiest dress not long ago (pearly white, pleated, with some crochet/brocade thing going on, perfect cut/weight, super comfortable), thought I hit the jackpot, and apparently, it's now also my most awkward purchase to date .. I was in such a "DONT YOU LOVE THIS?!" mode and for some reason, continued to receive weird "hmmm ..yeah" reactions (+confused stare) and didn't get it until my sister finally said "it's just that you're dressed like you're heading to your wedding" (which makes it especially tormenting as I wore it with a guy I'm seeing the other day ).. what the hell!. I asked a friend about it and he says he thought I already knew it was a wedding dress (it's not a wedding dress!!).

Probably the worst case of all-white looks gone wrong, the association never even popped in my mind, ugh.. now I'll have to murder it in order to continue wearing it and make it two separate things (skirt and top).

I guess.. the problem is my approach, cause you have to keep it super light otherwise the amount of detailing does scream bride. How annoying.

Random but some visuals ..
Attachment 660787Attachment 660789
(stylebistro / seaofshoes)
can't you just wear it with a little structured blazer (not in white) and do that masculine meets feminine thing?

that should tone down the fluffy bridal factor a bit, no?
i feel like there must be a way to make it work if you love it that much!

02-05-2013
V.I.P.

^ Definitely!, it would look just about right with a blazer! (or anything in navy ) .. maybe I'll just have to settle with the idea that it's more of an autumn dress, cause I'm stubbornly trying to make it all summer (meaning no jacket), it is fresh enough despite all the details but probably just too "thematic" (bridal) on its own.

I wish I could copy/paste and have it as just as skirt too, cause the pleats are so good.. I would probably wear it more often as a skirt than a dress. Problem is that whenever I attempt to experiment with my sewing skills, somewhere on the road I get bored and dump that thing in the closet, needle halfway through and all.

Jinadaze, love these!. I may come back with pics if I decide to chop this into [two] pieces.

Last edited by MulletProof; 02-05-2013 at 05:43 PM.
08-05-2013
unspecified

But that takes away the charm of all white! I love the look, but if it's not paired with white hair it's not the same. My sister gave me a white weird hat and it revived the idea in my head.
I think it's how you style it that will make it less weddingy, but honestly, that seems like the type of comment someone throws just to say something.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wearing, white