How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2010
scenester

Sometimes, if I see something I like and there's only bigger sizes left I'll try it on anyway and see how the bigger size looks. I have a really nice kimono sleeve blouse that looks great oversized. I also oversize in t-shirts and sweaters. Never anything on my bottom half though.

20-08-2010
V.I.P.

I love loose-ish t-shirts, oversized chunky knits and I usually buy shirt that is size or two bigger. I just don´t really like anything skin tight on my upper body...

Ofcourse oversized look is best when it is worn with fitting skinny jeans,
but I sometimes wear my boyfriend jeans and pair it it with loose-ish shirt, not sknitight but not huuuuuuge eather´and I think it looks just fine. Boyfriend jeans looks very nice with basic long-ish tanktop and cute litte cardigan that is little shorter side. I just love that combination and it makes my middle part look longer.

For example Jessica Szhor outfit is just right.
It is something I wear too, I just love those too big knits.

thejessicaszhornetwork

Last edited by Jenna-maria; 20-08-2010 at 12:23 AM.
21-08-2010
trendsetter

i have a white button-up shirt, something like in this pic of Alexa... but with a short sleeve...
but it's 1 size bigger than my other clothes so i don't wear it...
well this thread probably will be helpful for me so i'll keep watching it

i'm only 5'2" so... it's not that much, i don't want to look baggy, fat or sth like that

Last edited by StrawberrySpring; 21-08-2010 at 09:21 AM.
21-08-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
I think it's unanimous that over-sized tops are the way to go versus over-sized bottoms.
i think an oversized top is easier to fit more body shapes than an oversized bottom. oversized skirts or trousers tend to look great on tall *edit* people but it might 'swallow' a shorter one *edit*. oversized tops look better on more body shapes because a more defined leg looks better on anyone i think!

Last edited by softgrey; 30-08-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: weight talk
21-08-2010
windowshopping

I'm tall and *edit*and I find if I wear oversized clothes I end up looking bigger. I can somewhat pull off a baggy shirt or sweater, but never bottoms.

Last edited by softgrey; 30-08-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: weight talk
22-08-2010
front row

I've been pondering this too.

I don't think the look suits me very well, it seems to swamp me - at least to my mind it does. But I do like oversized clothes, especially jumpers and cardigans and jeans, etc.
I feel that the smaller I am, the worse it looks, although I am not too short, either. But I have a petite frame which some of these garments simply overwhelm. Perhaps I prefer the look on taller people, I don't know.

I have issues every winter in locating coats and jumpers that don't swamp me. So there's a depressing angle to this, for me, regardless how much I like the style.

That said, I simply loathe form fitting (or to be more precise, suffocatingly tight) clothes, unless they're more classic pieces, obviously. I'm loving the surge of 'less-sexually-overt' styles that are currently available: the smock dresses, sixties style shift dresses, loose knits and pretty blouses, though.

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 22-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.
24-08-2010
rising star

Oversized clothings make me feel sloppy and like a big lump of a mess! I have a dress which is one size up and in a bigger cut, I ended up looking frumpy wearing it. I am very petite,*edit*, unfortunately. I do like my clothings loose though, no oversized. I like the space they provide and the freedom of movement. I don't have to worry about my muffin top or any bulges if I wear my clothes too tight. My bottomline is something that hangs well, looks well.

Last edited by softgrey; 30-08-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: weight talk
24-08-2010
rock-chic

I always wear tight-ish skinny jeans or leggings and I feel more balanced wearing a looser top over them. I don't like it to be too baggy, just with movement. I am a UK8 all over, but I normally wear a 10 or 12 in tops as I think it looks better.

oh! darling

I put on a shirt I bought long ago and now it no longer fits. I thought, "Maybe I can make this work because it's 'oversized' now." Nay. It just looks bad it's too big period!

I guess there are only a few pieces that can be pulled off as oversized. Sigh.

trendsetter

Or maybe some of them would just look better with a cinched waist, with a belt or something?

27-08-2010
windowshopping

My body-type is usually a little apple-shaped (not right now - I'm nearly twenty-two weeks pregnant), and I'm a fan of over-sized button-downs, sweaters, and parkas. I really wanted to love boyfriend jeans, but they just didn't work on me.

29-08-2010
chaos reigns

Does anyone has any advise for loose clothes on guys??

I do have a couple of items but Im always afraid that I might look like a rapper ... I have done the loose cargo jeans/pants with combat boots which works for me ... but I am SO skinny Im afraid I get too selfconcious to do it with a top ... or prob just oversized tee with a tight jacket?

V.I.P.

Rappers wear tee shirts, chains and... shorts/jeans/ track pants I guess(??). You could switch those for a collared shirt with long sleeves, pants in suit-weight material. Something much less casual. Does that suit your style? I think what matters is design. In fabric choice, colour, etc.

I have been worried about being swamped myself in these kinds of clothes, but I decided that I always have to do some altering work if I want it to suit me. In fact I do that with anything I have. I don't wear clothes that are well-fitted to my body. I always have to wear them a little loose to balance off my giant head shape and hair. Otherwise people tell me my clothes are tight and then I'll fling my arms about and show them how loose the clothes really are.
Hemming, etc. and I even change or add seamlines.. It's because when there are too many horizontal lines I look wider than I am and I think it looks intimidating. Anything that will soften any high contrast helps a lot. Making over-sized look sized-perfect :-P You just have to constantly tweak, and feel your way to find the right balance.

Last edited by gius; 29-08-2010 at 05:22 PM.
29-08-2010
V.I.P.

6 hours later and now I've figured out you probably didn't mean rapper literally lol and you are working with clothes you've already than getting new ones. I'll send you a PM

30-08-2010
chaos reigns

lol .. thanks for the pointers Gius ... you have definitively helped me to get a start at least ... with all this encouragemente .. Im SO gonna give it a shot (and I never worry about not having enough clothes or such ... thrift stores are my second home)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothing, oversized, wearing