How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-08-2010
oh! darling

Wearing Over-Sized Clothing
(I didn't find a thread on this... at least I don't think so. I tried every combo of "over-sized" there is.)

Today, I didn't have a fitting pair of jeans so I just opted to wear some old jeans and keep them on with a tight-fitting belt. The outfit turned out looking ok.

Does anyone buy any specific items in a larger size to pull off a certain look?

I have tried putting on old shirts and sleeveless tops that are over-sized or just plain too big for me, but I can't seem to make that look work. My best bet, so far, is just wearing jeans. (By cuffing them, I make it look like I'm not sloppy and the bagginess is done on purpose, part of the outfit.) :p

17-08-2010
tfs star

Love the concept.

Sometimes I wear clothes a size up, or at least when in doubt I opt for the bigger size. I think it looks good, gives you a better movement range, plus you look better when your clothes are bigger somehow, I dont know how to say it... you look smaller, its a bit of eye trickery.
I have a pair of oldish jeans, they fit like a boys but in a woman. Everybody tells me you look so good in those, you are so slim. And Im the same. But I look smaller in those pants.

This has to be done subtly, you dont need to be swimming in too big clothes, just a tiny bit on the looser side.

I think the french have ideas about this, about this kind of way of fitting clothes..

This works better of course in casual clothing, I mean jeans, shirts, tee shirts, cargos.

Its the exact opposite of the tacky habit of wearing clothes too small (as seen in Mariah Carey for instance)

Last edited by newprincesita; 17-08-2010 at 03:55 PM.
17-08-2010
What fresh hell is this.?

My experience is that when I've bought something, that are supposed to be fitted, in 2-3 sizes larger the normally it looks Awkward. But when I size up in something that is supposed to have a slightly looser fit it often works out fine. - An example is clothing for "bigger girls". eg. h&m's "big is beautiful selection" I can size up 3-4 sizes and something that would normally be a top becomes a loose dress on me.

I've also tried wearing men's t's as slouchy oversized t's on myself - but that does not look good on me as I have too many curves...

windowshopping

I love wearing baggy jeans-not overly baggy though. I love the fact that you can look super cool with them and it looks as if you aren't even trying to be

Also, during winter I will buy long baggy fleecey turtle neck sweaters ( the come about mid thigh or so and wear them with skinnies and some boots- love love love that look.

17-08-2010
doldrums

I sometimes buy things a size bigger. I'm fine with wearing a sweater that's a size larger. Jeans also look ok when they're a bit loose fitting. It's not always a must for me to wear skin tight jeans. I wear a belt. I always wear a belt:p

17-08-2010
fashion insider

i think it depends on your body type. if you are curvy, you really can't wear oversized clothes because they just make you look bigger.

i love baggy pants, as long as they are only fluid through the legs. excess material at the waist is never attractive, no matter how thin you are.

backstage pass

Last year I bought a cashmere jumper from Uniqlo that is about 1 or 2 sizes larger and I love it! I make sure that I wear very skinny jeans or trousers with it though and obviously it being loose and cashmere it's really comfy!

18-08-2010
front row

I wear oversized clothes all the time; I borrow my boyfriend's shirts and wear them with black tights (and if they're quite short in length when I wear them, I put on a tiny pair of shorts underneath) all the time. The same goes for jumpers. I like big things, but sometimes I overdo it and I look at myself and I think, "God, I look like I'm too sizes bigger than I actually am"!
I wouldn't be able to wear baggy trousers because I would just feel really huge in them. I have spindly legs but I'm only 5"3 and so baggy trousers don't generally look good on me.

front row

I'll often buy t-shirts 2-3 sizes bigger than i am and wear them with skinny jeans.
And I'm tall, so I often buy cardigans in larger sizes just so they fit my arm length.
But I find that, if you're going to buy oversize clothing, if it's only a 'little bit' oversized, you just look plumper than you are... make sure its very DEFINITELY oversized on you so it looks better

18-08-2010
front row

i always wear oversized clothing. even as i type this i'm wearing a calvin klein microfibre t-shirt in XL. i find it looks the most polished when you pair oversized with undersized; a very loose fitted sweater with cigarette pants, baggy jeans with a crisp button up and tight blazer etc.

18-08-2010
front row

perfect example: alexa chung

peoplestylewatch.com

18-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkohl View Post
I wear oversized clothes all the time; I borrow my boyfriend's shirts and wear them with black tights (and if they're quite short in length when I wear them, I put on a tiny pair of shorts underneath) all the time. The same goes for jumpers. I like big things, but sometimes I overdo it and I look at myself and I think, "God, I look like I'm too sizes bigger than I actually am"!
That sounds a lot like me. About 90% of my clothes (or at least the majority of my key pieces) are oversized.. I get them like that both for the look and the comfort and I think this works better when you treat it like the skin rule, baggy top and baggy bottom rarely work so you have to pick one or the other and then go for something form-fitting to balance the look.. that or something short or more structured.. Dries Van Noten plays with oversized proportions all the time, he's a big inspiration when it comes to dressing like that.

fashion insider

I love oversized sweaters :-) not really fond of oversized pants,though.

18-08-2010
backstage pass

Oversized sweaters and cardigans are my favorite.

18-08-2010
oh! darling

I think it's unanimous that over-sized tops are the way to go versus over-sized bottoms.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothing, oversized, wearing