How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-05-2011
V.I.P.

^^A simple, unicolored dress was my first thought. Or denim shorts with a cute neutral colored blouse. Everything simple to make them stand out.

Last edited by diesanni; 15-05-2011 at 02:58 PM.

16-05-2011
girl who fell to earth

betinapple, re: the turban...
i think you might feel silly initially but just like many other strong fashion looks, you need the confidence to feel like you're truly pulling it off and not constantly thinking "oh my god, i'm wearing a turban, does everyone think i look crazy"

as long as you act natural and like it's no big deal, you'll be able to make it work...

i feel like that's how i broke myself into wearing red lipstick...
was self-conscious that it was "loud" at first but now i love it

turban could also be a fun way to add some interest to a simple outfit...
whether it's slim jeans and a boatneck solid colored top (black?)...

i think there are lots of cool ways you can style it as long as you're comfortable wearing it

18-05-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
betinapple, re: the turban...
i think you might feel silly initially but just like many other strong fashion looks, you need the confidence to feel like you're truly pulling it off and not constantly thinking "oh my god, i'm wearing a turban, does everyone think i look crazy"

as long as you act natural and like it's no big deal, you'll be able to make it work...

i feel like that's how i broke myself into wearing red lipstick...
was self-conscious that it was "loud" at first but now i love it

turban could also be a fun way to add some interest to a simple outfit...
whether it's slim jeans and a boatneck solid colored top (black?)...

i think there are lots of cool ways you can style it as long as you're comfortable wearing it
You are perfectly right. ATM I'm thinking about wearing it with classic looks like jeans and a white shirt, tight black skirt and a white shirt, a black dress with white dots (50s style) and a black in black look. My style is not very trend-based, so it feels a little bit weird falling in love with a "trend item".

But you ARE right. Thx for a good answer. Outfit suggestions is still very welcome.

18-05-2011
girl who fell to earth

^^those sound like good outfit options
i think it's smart to keep the other stuff simple to avoid looking costumey...
kind of makes the turban look a bit simpler as a result

19-05-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
^^those sound like good outfit options
i think it's smart to keep the other stuff simple to avoid looking costumey...
kind of makes the turban look a bit simpler as a result
You are perfectly right

24-05-2011
backstage pass

So I recently found a pair of Y-3 drop crotch pants/shorts/skirt thing (how do you explain y-3 garments anyhow?) at a Buffalo Exchange for $20 and for that price couldn't NOT get them.. but now I'm a bit lost.

I don't have a picture specifically yet, but the best way I can describe them is as loose drop crotch/harem shorts that reach to just below the knee, with the elastic leg holes in such a place that if you scrunch them up, the piece looks more like a drapey bubble skirt. It's a black jersey, a pretty luxe feeling jersey but it's still obviously streetwear/athletic type fabric.

Sort of like this, but half as poofy and eight inches shorter:

(herviasports.com)

or like these, but a bit fuller and longer:

theavailableanswer.blogspot.com

My style isn't super streetwear so I don't want to wear them with trainers like how most people style Y-3, and I also want to avoid making it look too "menswear fashion blogger circa 2009" which I think the drop-crotch has the potential to do... any styling suggestions??

I'll probably just end up wearing them with a grey alex wang racerback tank and combat boots, but if anyone has any other suggestions (or ways to dress up that look? like for the office? i work in fashion in nyc so quirky is fine) that would be great...

Last edited by Petit Lucille; 25-05-2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Please, do not post credits as links.
26-05-2011
fashion elite

i would say heels without ankle straps to avoid a choppy/cankle look. also since your pants are voluminous i would say a fitted shirt like a tank or with a tailored blazer or a simple t-shirt. hope this gives you some ideas on your fantastic purchase!

27-05-2011
front row

Hi! I'm graduating from high school and I already bought my dress for the prom. ( I don't have a lot of time because I'm studying for the exam.) Now I have to find shoes. The dress is purpelish ( ) and long. I don't wear heels usually. I thoughtI should wear heels for the dress. But I'm taller than most of the girls and I don't want to look taller than my boyfriend so they shouldn't be so high. I know it is though! But any suggestions?

backstage pass

^^ from a 5'10" lady who slouched herself down to 5'6" for years until coming to terms with the fact that it is a huge advantage and plenty of people are envious of it and it's attractive and basically AWESOME being enormously tall and not something I should ever be embarrassed of: I'm going to tell you to wear the sexiest, highest heels (go with a basic pump or a strappy sandal) you can find and just fracking own it, because that's what I do now, and I love it. In a few years you will look back at your prom photo and not feel awkward about it at all and feel proud of being statuesque and individual.

But if it's going to be both physically and emotionally uncomfortable for you to wear heels -- try a low platform strappy sandal, or a mid-height classic platform pump.

27-05-2011
V.I.P.

^Without seeing a pic of the actual dress it's hard to tell. If you don't want to wear heels, maybe some strappy sandals would look good. If it's a very delicate dress, ballerinas could work as well.

front row

Thanks! I will try to send a picture of the dress.

fashion elite

^ I think ballerinas could work well too like stated before. A pic of the dress or at least its colour would really help.

backstage pass

I recently purchased a zip-hoodie in an attempt to adopt a more "relaxed" look (I can't help to overdress most of the time cause I only packed my best of the best before I moved here). It's light neon-yellow, if that makes any sense, and I don't know how to wear it without looking like a slob or a hipster ...

V.I.P.

^I wear hoodies with pretty much everything so my advice would be "whatever". It's a hoodie, it's supposed to be comfy and keep you warm. As long as the color fits I wouldn't give it too much thought.

fashion elite

new in this thread... i need a little help! i bought this white trousers at topshop but i have no idea what to wear with it

topshop.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear