How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-02-2012
front row

Thank you Betinapple. The dress is from http://www.cue.cc/ (Australia).

With my chunky calves and ankles I might go with pumps instead. As much as I would love to be able to wear strappy stilettos *sight*

09-02-2012
front row

What about these Steve Maddens?

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_n_simple View Post
Thank you Betinapple. The dress is from http://www.cue.cc/ (Australia).

With my chunky calves and ankles I might go with pumps instead. As much as I would love to be able to wear strappy stilettos *sight*
Thx It's always good being realistic, and I'm sure you'll be able to find some great pumps. Regarding the colour I'm still on the same team. Especially the coloured ones would be great with earrings with a gem in the same colour.

17-04-2012
V.I.P.

I bought this dress, and would like to wear it at an engagement party.

What can I wear it with? Black shoes??? What accessories?

Thank you!

dorothyperkins

18-04-2012
windowshopping

Dora, this dress is really classic and so I think you could go one of two ways, either wear it with a flat or low black pump and a string of pearls, very Audrey Hepburn, or put an individual twist on it with bright shoes, tights, accesories, I'd be more inclined to say the former, however it';s a matter of personal choice.

trendsetter

@Dora: I think you could wear it with almost anything! However, I like Lolitas 1st suggestion. You could also wear it with black heels and red lips.

19-04-2012
V.I.P.

Thank you girls!

I guess I will go with Lolita's first suggestion. A set of pearls will work!!!!!

19-04-2012
trendsetter

What would you wear with these shoes? I love the cute mary-jane look, but I find it hard to figure out what clothes to go with them

19-04-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Read these style tips and peruse these celebrity looks for your own ideas!

With a Dress: Wearing patent Mary Janes with an evening dress/cocktail dress is the simplest way to go. Just throw on a gorgeous colored dress and black mary janes. If the dress is black, PLEASE opt for colored Mary Janes. I hate washed out outfits.

Go Bold: Try colored Mary Janes with a colored dress like Taylor Swift. I love the contrast of two bright colors. The look is fresh and very spring!

With a Skirt: Don't go too high, just go a bit tight. Pencil skirts are my favorite things to wear with my Mary Janes. It's extremely flattering and sexy.

Go Bold: Try Mary Janes with high socks. The look will be a little kitsch but super stylish and sexy!

With Shorts: Wearing Mary Janes with shorts is completely possible. If it's an evening look, make sure the shorts are evening like. (No jeans!) Keep the shoes fairly simple and don't wear a revealing top! Long sleeves are best paired with short shorts.

Go Bold: Try a patterned mary jane shoe. After all, don't you want attention at your feet?

With Pants: If the pants are long and flared, the shoes are difficult to see, which obscures the whole point of wearing them! Wear skinny pants in an unexpected color. Try khaki or white. It'll look uber-chic when done correctly. Remember, if the pants are super skinny, keep the top somewhat flow-y to balance out your look.

Go Bold: Try colored pants with black mary janes! Yes, it's a risk, but with a black or neutral colored top, it'll look very balanced and chic.

Make it flattering!

Many women have expressed their concerns about the Mary Jane shoe. They wonder if the strap will make their ankles or legs look thicker. The trick here is to remember these simple rules for mary jane shoe shopping:

1. Keep the strap thin. A thick strap will very well cut off the leg line! Keep it under 1 cm.

2. Keep the strap low. Make sure the strap isn't close to the ankle. (Look at how low Megan Good's strap is- picture below)

3. Keep it pointy. The pointier the shoe, the more lengthened you will look. Now, one of the most essential aspects of a mary jane is the rounded toe. However, the modern mary janes today now feature pointier toes!

yenajeon.hubpages.com

19-04-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora View Post

yenajeon.hubpages.com
Thx. Great advice. However, I do not think all of them apply since my shoes are flat and therefore easily seem very girly. I usually wear classic/ladylike clothes and - once in a while - something girly, like a 50's full skirt, a Peter Pan collar etc.

Last edited by ChrissyM; 25-04-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: please do not quote photos
03-09-2012
trendsetter

I am going to a ballet gala event thing on Saturday September 8 and I would love some help styling my look. Of course I can do it myself, but when I have all you fashion fiends at my fingertips, I can't not ask your opinion. The dress I have been wanting since last winter and I finally bought it! So I'm extremely excited to finally get it!!!! Images will be from shopbop.com. This is the dress:

For shoes I was thinking:
-black heeled ankle booties
-black heeled peep-toe booties
-nude peep-toe slingback heels
-metallicy (kinda distressed leather metallic) open-toe heels in bronze
-can do something else if you think it needs something else. I have a lot of shoes. I want to do heels or wedges due to it being a ballet thing and feeling less stocky and insecure around all the dancers at the reception :p I am only 5'6" and a size 4 and they are all so loooong and thin even if they aren't tall)

For jewelry I have a dannijo bib necklace in turquoise-y colors to wear as something shorter and statement-y or I could do some long layered necklaces or something else of your suggestion. I also have a lot of jewelry too. I've worked at banana republic for YEARS and always buy tons of jewelry when it goes on sale. So I've built up a bit of a collection of costume/fashion jewelry.

My hair I already decided to do it down in messy beachy loose waves. My hair is very straight naturally, about shoulder length, and dirty blonde.

Makeup I don't know yet but that is kinda easy.

I mostly need help just deciding what shoes and jewelry to use. Oh yeah! And I have an Alexander Wang tuxedo blazer I was thinking of wearing with this look. It is black, double-breasted (but I wouldn't button it) and 3/4 sleeves and satiny. Thank you guys so much if you can help me!!! I will be ok I think if I don't get responses but I would appreciate your opinions. Thank you!

and p.s. the dress isn't scheduled to arrive until Sept 6 so I can't try it on to play with stuff until then....

trendsetter

@Pinksatin: When you are going to wear the A. Wang blazer, I think I would go for black shoes as well. Probably the peep-toe booties. I would use a black clutch as well and a gold-statement necklace.

You could also go for the metallic heels and the turquoise necklace.

04-09-2012
trendsetter

So I have a question of my own.

I've bought this vintage sixties dress and I'm totally in love with it and want to wear it NOW. I do however need to have the zipper replaced. It is stuck.

Styling for summer seems easy for me. Just throw on a pair of heeled sandals, beige, nude, cognac, gold, silver or any other metallic, and you are good to go.

But how about styling for winter? Would you wear black tights with it? I can not figure out wether I think it would be a shame to do that which such a beautiful light coloured dress.

Any ideas would be helpful, but especially shoe suggestions would be nice. I have a variety of different colours; navy booties, nude ballet flats, black pumps, etc. etc.

Pic via my blog

04-09-2012
V.I.P.

personally i would go with wool tights and no heels for fall/winter.
stunning dress BTW

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myown View Post
personally i would go with wool tights and no heels for fall/winter.
stunning dress BTW
Thx for your input. What colour of shoes would you choose?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear