How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-08-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 16 2004, 09:52 PM
do people dress that way where you are?...because they certainly don't in NY...and certainly not to a book launch...it will be a very subdued event...so i think the attire should match the occassion...that sounds more appropriate for an afternoon summer wedding...i don't know...
[snapback]334923[/snapback]
I am in the San Francisco area so there are a few men who are into what is perhaps termed eccentric modes of dress. But nobody at my high school. Except me.

One would think there would be men in New York who wear that sort of thing on a regular basis.

It might also depend on what type of book launch. If it's from Taschen then some Paul Smith naked lady cuffed shirts would be highly appropriate.

Charles Baudelaire

17-08-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Incroyable@Aug 16 2004, 10:11 PM
I am in the San Francisco area so there are a few men who are into what is perhaps termed eccentric modes of dress. But nobody at my high school. Except me.

One would think there would be men in New York who wear that sort of thing on a regular basis.

It might also depend on what type of book launch. If it's from Taschen then some Paul Smith naked lady cuffed shirts would be highly appropriate.
[snapback]334941[/snapback]
i agree that it depends on what kind of book...

17-08-2004
stories everywhere

I'm a big fan of men that wear bright blue... Its almost universally flattering and gives you a definite bit of punch to that amazing black suit.

or really well made black shirt, I like how that looks as well.

17-08-2004
& b

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 16 2004, 02:12 PM
that is a brilliant idea...i wore an american flag pin on my lapel after 9/11 and EVERYONE made a comment....it's a very good suggestion ale...

personally i like black shirt with a wide white pinstripe...or a very pale mint green...

no t-shirt...and no tie...

ps-LOVE your boots///
[snapback]334670[/snapback]

That's a great way to start meeting people... I wear my Vote against homelessness pin a lot, and people just stops me and talks about it, and how they agree with whatever my pin stands for thank god for smart hotties And the story is even better, cause I was leaving Suede when I was in NYC, and I found the pin on the ground, between a dumpster and a newspaper booth

Even though today Im not getting good looks cause of my Rick James pin

29-08-2004
windowshopping

Hi, I'm still a little new here (my 2nd post), so I hope this is the right place for such a topic (my apologies otherwise..).

Basically, I bought a dusty purple dress from a consignment store, and I've had it in my closet for a number of months now. While I like it, and want to wear it, I kind of feel like it's a tad dressy to be worn out casually despite its plain appearance.

So - the taste on this forum seems to be unique, electic, and definitely varied...and I'm hoping I might get a variety of different ideas on what to wear with this dress. Casual but funky - I'd like to avoid wearing a cardigan and pearls if I can help it, because although I know "50s feminine" is the name of the game this fall, I really can't bring myself to do that with this dress. I would enjoy hearing any (and all) ideas you might have. I'm seriously stuck in a rut trying to figure this out - I've been thinking about boots, but am stuck on what type would work, if any (black stilettos don't do it). And I've been thinking about jewelry, but am stuck on what sort! I'm...stuck in a handicapped state. Need help.

Here's the dress:

By the way, I couldn't figure out if this properly goes under the Personal Style section or the Accessories section - after all, I'm asking about how to accessorize, but then again, it's related to a style I'm trying to go for! Welll, I hope you'll understand my newbieness. Thanks for your help!

...Sift all together twice

29-08-2004
front row

That would really be a perfect dress to wear with boots if you can find the perfect pair. I immediately think brown boots that are slightly distressed because I think they'd look neat with the purple. I can see the dress, brown boots and a brown leather wrist cuff. In place of the wrist cuff, you might do a wide brown belt. It would fit perfectly in that section around the hips. I don't know if the material of the dress would allow this to work though. It might need something dressier.

It might also be cute with sleek black leather or suede knee high kitten heel or wedge heel pointy boots and a black bolero/shrug, perhaps a plain cashmere or silk knit one.

Another cute thing would be a vintage pin (something sparkly, perhaps in a starburst shape) on that little section at the hips, off to the side and funky pumps.

I probably wouldn't wear a necklace with it, because I'm never sure of what necklaces to wear with v necklines and the ruching at the bust is detail enough that if you wanted to go sans necklace, it would probably work.

One other thing to try -- perhaps a pair of those suede boots with the buttons up the side. Rocket Dog has a pair, for example. The style is called Pamper and I think they'll be available next month. You could unbutton the top two buttons and let them slouch and sort of fold over. I think that might be cool.

29-08-2004
scenester

Umm, I'm certainly not a stylist... Accessories are difficult to say, I think, to pinpoint exactly do this or that, because it depends a lot on what you look like and what effect you're going for, I mean it's the accessories that most people use to really personlize a look, - and how that dress fits... Is it tight on you with a flared skirt, or loose all the way? How deep is that v-neck, can you wear something underneath or no... Like I said, I am certainly not a professional, but it would be easier seeing that dress on your figure. Some people look good with no accessories except for good boots and a good bag, perfect skin and a little lipstick, ... and what region are you in? if it's hot sandals. black stiletto boots I'm tired of too, but that also depends on the outfit. But I'm definitely into boots for everything. The ones I'm into right now you can see on the Chloe website: http://www.chloe.com/version_en/collections/index.html

29-08-2004
tfs star

I really like that dress!

Brie's idea of the boots and belt sounds fabulous, I would tend to go for something similar, or even some jewelled thongs, long beaded necklaces and matching earrings.

I think that dress is versatile enough to be worn dressed up or down, for whatever occasion, either way.

29-08-2004
front row

I look at that dress, and I think "flapper." I could see it with a choker and a LONG necklace. I would definately work that angle out of it, or I would layer it over skinny jeans, cami and flats.

29-08-2004
windowshopping

You can take it into fall by wearing it with brown boots and a brown srarf and a dark cardigan... like this Prada look...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right.jpg (41.8 KB, 43 views)

29-08-2004
windowshopping

I also see it going pretty well for the summer with heavy gold jewelry and an updo... although that depends on your physique...

29-08-2004
offline.

Something about that dress color really makes me want to pair emerald colored accessories with it.. like emerald green pumps... or a bag or something.. I dunno.. i'm crazy.

29-08-2004
front row

im thinking a bold but beautiful necklace, and probably some nice bracelets, and also maybe salmon colored slingbacks.

29-08-2004
offline.

it's really such a neutral color that any color bag/shoe/jewelry would go...

30-08-2004
living in the sprawl

I would say with opaque black tights and flats or some tall rich brown boots..also a large brown belt worn loose might look good...

for necklaces I would definately go for large necklaces that hang lower

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2003, 2010, december, march, wear