How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-02-2008
tfs star

What makes a person captivating?
What do you think makes a person outstanding from the rest of the crowd? What gives them a great charisma?Is it their walk, their eyes? Don't say "aura" - because that wouldn't explain anything... Do you think it's a fantastic sense of style? A smile? A perfect haircut?

Everytime I'm in the city or at university I have the same thought:
There are some extremely "captivating" people - Some of them not even classically "pretty" but still ...you can't take their eyes off of them.

Another thing I noticed is this exact forum: Why is it that Kirsten Dunsts thread is more visited than let's say Anna Kournikova's? Why Gemma Wards thread more lively than... Cindy Crawfords? Even though I find the latter two more beautiful from an aethitc point of view.

Thanks for replies

29-02-2008
trendsetter

I think that what makes a person captivating cannot be put into one category. For some people it's their sense of style, for some it's graceful body language, and yet for others it's their infectuous energy, warm personality, or any number of things.

As for your point about celebrities, I think it's more a matter of who is "hot" (i.e. hyped) at the moment and who is not. Celebrities - even the genuinely down to earth ones - are walking marketing machines for their movies/products etc. For example, Anna K was once one of the most searched celebrities on the internet, but she isn't in the limelight so much currently. That may change, if she starts playing tennis again, or stars in a movie, does an advertising campaign...

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 29-02-2008 at 09:26 AM.
29-02-2008
Firestarter.

JE ne sais quoi.....
But i guess at a combination of factors.Physical, and inner personality.

I would guess, in part, at the inexplicable secrets yet to be revealed to us.
A make up of different characteristics, all coming together to form a multi dimensional projection of the persons being.

As well as the quality's an individual find attractive in a conscious, and maybe sub conscious level.

29-02-2008
trendsetter

What makes a person captivating....

I would say a sense of style, humour, their appearance and the way they walk. you can spot someone when out by their presence so that makes them captivating. I look at some people and think you look really intersting and why? I hope people think that about me!!

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasolineRainbow View Post
and yet for others it's their infectuous energy, warm personality, or any number of things.

i definitely see the appeal of infectuous energy and warmth, but i find that the people i admire from afar seem relaxed, low-key, aloof. god, i wish i were captivating!

29-02-2008
tfs star

I guess that kind of depends on what we ourselves consider captivating. Besides having a je ne sais quoi, mystery can be captivating. Someone who you don't know everything about and who isn't always seeking attention is a lot more interesting than the opposite. And some people are just cool, specifically people who don't go out of their way to be considered cool and just have a coolness factor that I can't even explain. I also think grace and elegance can be very captivating. You can have one person who fits into the general idea of what it is to be attractive and one person who's more unconventional looking. The latter can be a lot more captivating when they have an elegance about them that the other person might be lacking.

And about who's topic gets more visits, I visit the topics of people whos' style I like (since this is a fashion forum) and people who I prefer in general. To be honest, asthetically speaking I prefer Gemma and Kirsten over Anna K. and Cindy. Something about Anna and Cindy just seems boring and uninteresting to me, but that's just my opinion based on my own preferences. Obviously everyone has a different perspective on that type of thing.

18-03-2008
rising star

People who live in the present moment. Most people are so distracted and rushed that they aren't really devoted to what is going on in front of them. I think that when people are completely "present" and living in the moment, completely focused on what is happening in that second, they automatically appear interesting.

princely

Hmm, to me it's a combination of their style and a nonchalant attitude with a gaze in their eyes that stands out like nothing else. The look in their eyes is a big thing and I think it has much to do with living in the moment an thinking intensely about what's ahead of you.

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 18-03-2008 at 01:03 AM.
18-03-2008
front row

I think it has a lot to do with inner confidence. People who are captivating carry themselves well, they have good posture, and they comfortable with themselves. I think being comfortable means that you can look a bit different, but you don't have to.

18-03-2008
V.I.P.

smile
natural beauty
humour
style

18-03-2008
V.I.P.

mostly personality i guess.. and then style and grace

18-03-2008
& b

personality.

srsly, i've met people that look amazing but their personality is so blah, it makes me wonder what attracted me at first.

backstage pass

belief in themselves, a style that suits them, a passion for what they believe in and talk about, people skills, ambition, an ease awith themselves

... or exactly the opposite can have the same appeal

innocent, wide eyed wonder, selfconcious, beautiful, unsure, not taking themselves too seriously.

windowshopping

Its always the confidence in themselves that makes you aware of their presence, even if they're just simply standing there..

I really believe how one carries themselves attracts (or even allows you to blend in if you wish) and captivates others...this person has something that the others don't have and may want..be it knowledge, physical traits, materialistic goods (e.g. clothes), a certain style, etc.

My two cents of course

Last edited by greenappleflavor; 18-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
19-03-2008
windowshopping

I think it is a unique personal style that is inspired by own believes. If you have found your style you will wear it with confidence automatically. Of course besides looks a great personality and good attitude coupled with the ability to be a good speaker pretty much blows peoples mind.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
captivating, makes, person