How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-12-2007
scenester

Whenever I've done long trips (I love to travel for both work and play, so let's just say that I am an "experienced" packer), I actually set aside a couple hours for packing - my method might seem a little over-the-top, but it works.

Here is what I consider:

1. Reason for the trip - obviously, you will need different clothing for a professional/work type trip than you would for backpacking or something school related.
2. Climate and overall atmosphere/feel of the place where I'm going - for instance, I'd probably take different clothing to say, Paris, than I would to somewhere more rural.
3. Any special events - will there be a reason I need something formal? Anything else that might call for out-of-the-ordinary clothing? Make sure you pack that first.

Next:

For the actual packing, I like to lay everything out on my bed or any other large flat surface, so I can see if the colors blend. This leads to my next point - I like to ensure everything I take can be worn as part of multiple outfits, which tends to mean I stick with one color family, e.g. blacks/grays/blues. Like the others have said, brighter colors can be added with accessories. For me at least, it's really important to see everything together like so I can edit out what doesn't belong.

Let's see - I tend to bring more tops than bottoms (a pair of jeans can be worn for more times than a shirt, usually) and I stick to darker colors, but that is just because I'm semi-klutzy and am likely to spill red wine on my white top, or something like that. Also, I try to keep the shoes to a minimum, as they take up lots of room and are usually heavy. It's key to select shoes that you can wear with multiple outfits and from day to evening, so I usually stick to neutrals there too.

I do pack lots of scarves and jewelry so I can mix up my outfits when I get bored. Last but not least, be sure to leave room for souveneirs! After all, you're probably going to shop once you get there.

Hope that was helpful!

04-12-2007
Rebaptising my badness

^It was extremely helpful, thanks jazspin!

the crying of humanity

Depending on how long the trip is, I always think it's a decent idea to bring one of everything (in moderation): one pair of jeans, one pair of shorts, one coat, etc. Since you're going to be gone for a month, I'd bring more than just one of most items, especially pieces you think you'll wear frequently.

To start off with, take a look at the weather conditions for the time you will be there. By the time you begin packing, you'll have an idea of what you need to pack, what you should pack, and what you don't pack.

For shoes, I also tend to lean towards the 'one of everything' rule. But like I said, it doesn't really apply here when you'll be gone for such a long time. In this case, I think you need at the minimum two pairs of sneakers, flip flops, boots, and maybe dress shoes if needed. I usually pack shoes after I'm done planning my outfits so that I know exactly what I need and don't need.

And of course you need socks, undergarments, pajamas, clothes you don't mind getting dirty, etc. Most of all, don't forget to have fun!

Rebaptising my badness

^Thanks for the suggestions, seanut!

Brooklyn, baby!

I'm going to Europe for 2 months next summer, so I am also in the process of deciding what to pack. I've heard a general rule that for any trip over 10 days, you pack the same whether you're going for 10 days or 7 months. Are you doing more of a "budget" trip? That's what I'm doing, and here's my list of things I plan on bringing:

Electronics:
- iPhone (for emailing NOT calling - this will save me $ on internet cafes as I can email and send photos from wireless hotspots for free)
- iPhone charger
- international pack of outlet converters
- small digital camera
- camera charger
- extra memory cards for camera

Toiletries:
- toothpaste & toothbrush
- deodorant
- sunscreen (all-in-one face & body)
- blush & foundation
- emergency supply of tampons (just a handful)
- face wash
- shampoo & conditioner
- small first aid kit
- hand sanitizer

Clothes:
- 1 pair of shorts
- 1 bikini
- 1 pair black cotton yoga pants/PJ bottoms
- 1 pair capri's (probably black or navy)
- 5 pairs of underwear
- 1 pair of jeans
- 3 tank tops
- 2 t-shirts
- 3 light cotton dresses (pack small)
- 3 pairs of socks
- 3 bras
- 1 light sweatshirt/sweater
- rain jacket
- 1 baseball-style cap

Shoes:
- 1 pair good sneakers for everyday walking and hiking or biking
- 1 pair sturdy flip flops
- 1 pair of nice wedge heels or sandals for dressing up

Misc. Stuff:
- sleep-sheet
- 1 towel
- spork
- cheap wristwatch with alarm
- clothesline
- earplugs & eyemask
- sunglasses
- 4 Ziplock baggies of various sizes
- gaffers tape (duck tape-like tape that doesn't leave sticky residue behind)
- a few safety pins
- pocket flashlight
- small wristlet purse
- copies of paperwork
- small notepad & pens
- VISA debit card, credit card, and cash
- pages from travel books that I know I'll use, binded

And I'm bringing a backpack. Probably the Eagle Creek Explorer LT.

I'm staying in hostels. For a budget trip, a backpack is best, especially if you'll be doing a lot of moving around within the country. It might be a good idea to get a smaller pack too (the Eagle Creek Explorer LT is the perfect size IMO), since you can bring it on the plane instead of checking it, therefore illiminating the need to wait for your baggage to come off the plane (plus it might, God forbid, get lost!).

05-12-2007
Rebaptising my badness

^Wow, that's a pretty good list. I was thinking about getting myself a PDA with wi-fi to save money on internet but I figured I won't be spending that much money on this. Plus I'll only be away for a month.

Mine is kind of a budget trip but I'll be spending the whole month at the same place (hostel and city). I want to take enough clothing so I don't have to spend more money on it than I've planned.

Last edited by Nemova; 05-12-2007 at 04:14 PM.
05-12-2007
Rebaptising my badness

Look what I found!

http://www.style.com/shopping/holidaytravel

trendsetter

i think it's easier to pack when you're going some place hot because the clothes are smaller and you'll fit more. i'm going to new york in less than 2 weeks and staying for a month and i've no idea how to fit all of my sweaters and stuff

backstage pass

I'm going to England in April and I need some suggestions since I've heard the weather is pretty wacky.

I'm thinking:
-A couple of cotton dresses
-Thick tights
-Shoes for day/night
-Wellies
-Sneakers
-Four pairs of pants/jeans
-Tee shirts
-Sweaters
-Marc Jacobs back pack
-Scarves
-Little umbrella
-Debit card
-Rain slicker

Any other must haves for England?
Thanks!

15-12-2007
What fresh hell is this.?

Oh great thread.
I'm too drunk and tired to read everything right now, but I will tomorrow..

well it's not really a vacation. But I'm leaving for 5 months to live at a sports folk high school.... So I need to pack a bunch of stuff. But There is limited space since we are going to live to in one pretty small room.. Also I'm mostly there to play badminton and do outdoor activities, though I'm also going to travel to France and Canada with some of the other residents to ski. And of course I'm going to use some time partying :p

I'm really unsure of what to bring. Since I would like to have my entire wardrobe there. But I guess I'll need to make room for most of my sporting clothe..

So I'll read this thread carefully tomorrow or the day after to look for some great advice. I'm always been good at packing, but this is a challenge I think.. :p

fashion elite

hmm i always usually analyze what i pack, and a lot of it is how much i think im going to be buying when im travelling

a good thing to do is bring clothes that you can make look different/change/dressup or down with a simple change of a sweater, shoes, accessory, hat, etc.
for example, a pair of black stovepipe jeans can look sophisticated with nice heels and a dressy shirt + blazer, while the same jeans and blazer (well, depending on how fancy the blazer is) can look less done up with flats (or any non-dressy shoe), a normal tshirt, sunnies, and maybe a cardigan under the blazer if its cold.
theeen the same basic tshirt and cardigan can work with other things you bring too, shorts, skirt, jeans, whatever.
so building your travelling wardrobe on itself is usually a pretty good plan.
then for jewelry and such, maybe some fun necklaces, a nice one in case you need to dress up, some bangles and bracelets, sunnies, one fancy pair (classic black hepburn ones and you cant go wrong) and a knock-around pair (karen walker is my favorite). if you wear earrings, bring some dangley ones but also some simple studs that can look great with anything.
the bag is key as well, i love bags that can work for more than one settings like marni and chloe, even marc jacobs. for day they can hold all the stuff you need about town and than at night you can bring whatever you need then, but still look nice.
later ill find some outfits i'd typically pack or something like it and post it here!

16-12-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

haley i wouldn't bring your debit card to the uk since it most definately will not work!

Honestly, I don't even plan what i pack anymore when i'm heading to London. I just pack my favorite things and usually things i find quite versatile and i'm set. Sometimes I get back home in the UK and think ugh, i've only brought 2 shirts.....but usually i'm okay.

22-12-2007
backstage pass

^Thanks!
Debit cards seriously won't work, though? Wow. Haha I guess I was really wrong I just didn't want to have to use travel checks or carry cash, will an ATM card work over there?

Last edited by haleyanne; 22-12-2007 at 10:02 PM.
29-01-2008
V.I.P.

I join this thread :p.
By August I'm going to L.A. for a month and I'm already thinking what to bring....Helppp :p

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
haley i wouldn't bring your debit card to the uk since it most definately will not work!

Honestly, I don't even plan what i pack anymore when i'm heading to London. I just pack my favorite things and usually things i find quite versatile and i'm set. Sometimes I get back home in the UK and think ugh, i've only brought 2 shirts.....but usually i'm okay.
If it's a VISA check card, that'll work, right?

As far as packing for travel ... I usually start with my capsule wardrobe & key outfit(s) for the season. I'll take my dressy outfit of the season for restaurants, and then sometimes I'll need to buy additional casual clothes for a vacation as my real life when I'm not on vacation is rather formal ...

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 29-01-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
extended, pack, stay, trip