How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-04-2008
trendsetter

Gosh, I came into this thread b/c I'm overwhelmed packing for the summer, but it seems this thread is more for shorter trips. I was looking for packing tips. I am going to be gone for about 3.75 months to do an internship and I have about and day and half left to get it together. Luckily my parents are driving me so I don't need to worry about weight limits, but just if everything will fit in the car and then in the small room that I have. I am such a heavy packer too. My philosophy is always "just incase this..." or "I might wear that for..." It's overwhelming, although I have packed for long periods before. Blah, better get back to it.

30-04-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I always plan a capsule wardrobe for each season ... if I were packing for this timeframe, I'd take my seasonal capsule wardrobe (Remember, they will have stores when you get there ... and presumably someone could ship you something from home in a pinch?)

30-04-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I always plan a capsule wardrobe for each season ... if I were packing for this timeframe, I'd take my seasonal capsule wardrobe (Remember, they will have stores when you get there ... and presumably someone could ship you something from home in a pinch?)
yes, good points. And although I don't have much disposable income, I know it's inevitable I will buy at least a little more while I'm there. I just hate it when I know I want to wear something I own but don't have with me and I buy something identical. As it's moving along, though, I think I may be able to fit all of the clothing in two suitcases, and just bring toiletries, accessories, and shoes in other bags/containers. I'm thinking of bringing my steamer too. It won't take too much room and it's always a godsend when I need to get out wrinkles in a pinch, especially for work clothes.

Wait.. what do you mean by capsule? can you give an example?

Last edited by pinksatin; 30-04-2008 at 03:49 PM.
30-04-2008
Power to the 99%

Sure.

So this season I bought
  • Grey linen skirt
  • Ivory blouse
  • Grey/tan/ivory shoes
  • Straw bag w/ ivory leather trim
In addition to these items, I already have
  • Black tropical wool slacks
  • Black and ivory cotton sweaters
  • Ivory silk camisole
  • Red patent heels
  • Ivory skirt
  • Black slingback heels
  • Silver mid-heels and flats
  • Black jeans
  • Black 3/4 sleeve cardigan
I'd take more than that for 3 months, but this is a basic capsule wardrobe ...

01-05-2008
trendsetter

ok yea. thank you for sharing that! I also read a little in the "french wardrobe thread" but I have before and I swear every time I read it, it sounds so zen and wonderful but in reality I just don't think I have the discipline for it.
It's like a diet for your wardrobe. I try to only buy things I really really love, really really need, or are a supercheap markdown that I can make work. It just turns out that I have so many clothes that I like a lot that I've collected over the years so while packing, the "no" and "maybe" piles are very tiny, not including winter clothing of course and it's hard to shave down the "yes" pile. I did manage to fit almost all of it in two suitcases though. The shoes, toiletries, jewelry, etc. I'm still working out. Probably I'll use clear tubs and shopping bags.

Power to the 99%

^ Yes, the very best kind of diet, the French kind where you get to eat all the most wonderful things ... but in moderation :p

15-05-2008
rising star

12 days in France with one rolling bookbag
Hi all - I'm going to France for the first time and I need packing help. We're visiting Toulouse, Paris and Bordeaux... I am only allowed to bring one piece of luggage. Does anyone have any advice? I want to look nice (Read: not like a complete tourist) but I don't have much room for wardrobe. Thanks for your help!

the crying of humanity

I'm not sure what the weather will be like at the time you're visiting, but I'd recommend packing a simple dress (one that you could dress up or down), shorts, several shirts, and a jacket, at the very least.

When you're packing for a number of days in only one piece of luggage, it's important to include items you can mix and match with. That's why I mentioned the casual dress, which you could wear both during the day and for a dinner or other event.

Again, the weather might not allow you to dress in these styles, but I'm just assuming it'll be warm. But you know where assuming gets you.

rising star

I tried to send a pm but...
Thanks for your input, it was very helpful! Also, I love your username.

DŌMMkammern

^^ the best advice i can offer you: http://www.weather.com/?from=gn_logo_welcome

one would think that around may or june, most cities in Europe are already pretty warm, but you really never know with Paris, where certain days in July actually feel like February!!

(i envy you so much!! i wanna go back to Paris!! have fun!!!! )

windowshopping

Anyone have tips for Tokyo & Osaka in the summer (more like this coming week into the second week of July)? I have been twice before in the winter, but never in the summer. I could use any tips!

22-06-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimah View Post
Thanks for your input, it was very helpful! Also, I love your username.
Sorry for the delay - I just saw this post. You're very welcome, and thanks for the comment on my username!

tfs star

me and my roomate wanted to backpack across europe to sight see and have a lot of affairs with foreign boys who can't speak english, but we figured we might be too high-maintence because I seriously doubt I could fit everything I think I would want to wear in one bag. I really don't know how I could do it.

22-06-2008
trendsetter

Debit cards will work in the UK definitely...otherwise I would have died a slow death due to starvation lol.

As long as your debit card is marked with a compatible system like Cirrus for example, it can be used most anywhere in the world at ATMs or cash points.

Also, if your debit card can also be accepted as a credit card (ie, it is marked with a Visa or Mastercard symbol) it will also be accepted.

The difference between European debit cards and US ones is that the American cards do not have a "chip" or "puce" in them that obviates the need for a signature that you do in the US. Instead of swiping a card and signing, in Europe you feed it in to a reader and take it out and use a PIN, like putting your debit card in an ATM machine.

Sometimes, restaurants/stores etc might be unfamiliar at first and tell you to use the same card reader that European credit/debit cards use but if you ask them to swipe it for you instead (or just use the universal "swipe motion" to communicate) they'll understand.

I would always call the bank first as some other posters have mentioned. Even after I did that, I had one bank still freeze my card. And they told me they would do that every month I was abroad for security reasons! Very annoying.

As for exchange rates, the best ones you will find are from ATMs from banks. Usually the price you are charged for "foreign currency purchases" is low. I was charged something like 1.4 percent of whatever I spent on a purchase.

So yeah that's about it with the debit/credit cards.

And in general Visa is the most recognized card, then Mastercard I would say. I heard a lot of people say not to use American Express, but I only ran into stores that didn't accept it infrequently.

Sorry for such a long post!

Last edited by lollicandy; 22-06-2008 at 11:35 PM.
22-06-2008
trendsetter

Don't bring appliances like hair dryers, flat irons, curlers etc. Usually the voltage is all wrong for them in other countries and voltage converters are tricky devices that don't always work. You can usually buy these items cheaply at your destination.

Same goes for nail polish.

Paris and London, I highly suggest purchasing a small umbrella, like the miniature kind that can be folded up and put in your purse. Leave it there in your purse at all times because the rain and weather is unpredictable. You might get a light shower one minute and sun the next.

Also, buy said umbrella in the US if you can. I think I spent $30 on a crap umbrella from Superdrug vs. $15 I spent on a really spiffy waterproof Totes one I now have here.

Don't try to "unlock" your phone for your trip, too expensive and too much of a hassle. Just rent a phone.

That's all I can remember, I'm sadly a huge over packer.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
extended, pack, stay, trip