How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-08-2006
V.I.P.

I've gotten to the point where I make Soffe cheer shorts look chic, so this is a typical long drive outfit:

Soffe shorts
Flip-flops for in the car, and then espadrilles for when not in the car
Any top, but preferrably a sleeveless polo shirt.

Accessories are the key-there is no such thing as dressing up sweats, but almost anything else can be.

Also as far as what I use-I have a duffel bag that my mom got several years ago that I kinda appropriated, and it has a ton of funky pins on the strap because I love those.

21-12-2006
windowshopping

Hi! ..thought i'd revive the thread! ...im going to nyc in late feb-early march! ! and i really dont know wad the weather will be like or wad i have to take... im just a 19 yr old student... so i guess ill shop some.. but not much.. cuz im kinda on a budget... so PLZ any suggestions??.. thanks !

22-12-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijita
Hi! ..thought i'd revive the thread! ...im going to nyc in late feb-early march! ! and i really dont know wad the weather will be like or wad i have to take... im just a 19 yr old student... so i guess ill shop some.. but not much.. cuz im kinda on a budget... so PLZ any suggestions??.. thanks !
I don't have any suggestions but I think it is a good idea to revive this thread because a lot of it was about suggestions for carry on bags, and some of us can't travel with liquids anymore. So I'm wondering what do you take in your carry on nowadays?

fashion elite

Well for starters I start an excel file with every outfit, accessories, bag, shoes, etc.
Then I list them all per day or occassion.
And makeup
The look Im going for (example: Wild hair, nude lips, etc.)
Extras- cell phone charger, cotton balls.
I also add what Im wearing there and back.
It helps me be clear.
I do this for *every trip* that requires an overnight stay... I dont do anything without an excel list.
I will print it out and then pack accordingly, therefore I NEVER forget anything.

backstage pass

For plane, train and car trips I usually pack...

-cell phone
-mp3 and headphones
-waterbottle
-makeup case
-digital camera
-sunglasses
-small blanket?

in luggage...

-clothes, casual and dressy (depends on where im going)
-2 bags (usually one for evening and one for day)
-a couple of pairs of shoes (really depends on where im going)
-face wash, contact stuff, nail file/polish, deoderant, perfume, etc.

25-12-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by esiders
Don't be ops: ...I drive with an Erin Beanie Baby on my dashboard for good luck (Erin is my first name)
I always bring my stuffed animal with me.... His name is Mr Pig. He has been everywhere with me... Never leave for a long trip without him. Im such a baby

and Eternity in an hour.

William Blake.
25-12-2006
fashion insider

^Ahahahahah!

25-12-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisa
I don't have any suggestions but I think it is a good idea to revive this thread because a lot of it was about suggestions for carry on bags, and some of us can't travel with liquids anymore. So I'm wondering what do you take in your carry on nowadays?
I was wondering thesame thing. Anyone traveled recently and had problems with their carryon? I have read the list on what not to bring, but has anyone had reallife experience with the new rules?

and Eternity in an hour.

William Blake.
12-01-2007
backstage pass

Packing Light
I searched and couldn't find a thread on this, so- I would like for people to post tips for packing light.

I have a 10-day trip to France this summer and just found out that we will not be allowed to check our luggage. We will have two carry-ons and that's it. I asked the person in charge and she said that we might have problems taking two small suitcase carry-ons because of overhead storage space. With this we'll also run into the problem with having liquids/gels on board. Any help is greatly appreciated!

13-01-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylauda
I searched and couldn't find a thread on this, so- I would like for people to post tips for packing light.

I have a 10-day trip to France this summer and just found out that we will not be allowed to check our luggage. We will have two carry-ons and that's it. I asked the person in charge and she said that we might have problems taking two small suitcase carry-ons because of overhead storage space. With this we'll also run into the problem with having liquids/gels on board. Any help is greatly appreciated!
This is the strangest thing I have ever heard. Why in the world would you not be allowed to check your luggage on a transatlantic flight? That goes totally against the direction this has been moving in for the past few years. Soon we'll all be carrying a see-through plastic bag with what we need during the flight and have to check in handbags...

Is it some sort of school trip? If I were you I would look into it further, because it seems quite absurd. And the people who organize school trips always get weird ideas like "If we only let them brung carry-ons we don't runt the risk of any luggage getting lost, because that would be such a hassle".

However if it's true, then the only tip I can think of is: If your ziplock bag doesn't fit what you want to bring, remember that you can buy that stuff in France. Using a different brand of shampoo for ten days isn't the end of the world.

13-01-2007
blue

this really is the weirdest thing ive ever heard.
ive never heard of an airline not allowing passengers to check bags..
you might not be able to bring 2 carry-on suitcases...

you can pack liquid/gels in ziplock bags (quart sized i think?) and bring it on board.

and it is summer (thinner clothes), so you could probably bring enough clothes to cover for your 10 day trip if you plan well.
you could take
(3-5) bottoms
(5-7) tops
(2-3) shoes
underwear, and sweats (for the planeride), and that should be more than enough to cover the 10 days in france.

backstage pass

The airline would let us check luggage, but it is a school trip, so like Blondes said, they have gotten the idea that if we don't check luggage then we can't lose it. If the hotel has a washing machine then I'll be fine. I also don't know if I will be able to fit a pillow in my carry on.

Thanks to both of you for the advice...I can buy space bags if it doesn't fit! The bad thing is, if I buy too much stuff I will have to ship it home...

13-01-2007
backstage pass

Hah! I knew it!

But seriously, like the above poster said, you might not even be allowed on the plane with two carry-ons. (Since it's a school trip I assume you're flying coach..) Get your parents and your firends parents to talk to the teacher. This rule is stupid and unnecessary.

BTW, it's only 1 deciliter sized containers in only one 1 liter sized ziplock bag (whatever that is in ounces and stuff.. ), so it's not much.

Edit: I just realized I assumed you are quite young, hence "parents". Sorry if that is not the case. If someone is trying to force adults to not check bags, then I'd make sure to get my ticket and then just ignore the "rule" and check my bags anyway

Last edited by Blondes; 13-01-2007 at 12:13 PM.
13-01-2007
front row

Hah, I have trouble packing light. I wish I could be able to do it, but I want to bring a lot of stuff always.
For the gels & liquids thing, don't worry about it.. they'll give you a seperate bag to put it in once you get there..however they say everything must be under 100mL. I've had a hand lotion that was like 150 though, so it's not really a big deal.

14-01-2007
V.I.P.

Yeah that equates to 3 ounce bottles of stuff. One of the selling points I have at my store for our travel sizes is that they are perfect for taking on flights.

But the thing about not checking luggage is absurd. I would take nice easy pieces-lots of cotton, things you can layer.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
extended, pack, stay, trip