What Should I Wear Today? - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
07-06-2005
trendsetter

What Should I Wear Today?
I hope there isnt a thread already like this, I checked, but if there is one please merge... sorry.

Tomorrow I am meeting the head of the Division of Infectious Diseases at a Los Angeles Hospital to discuss my summer research internship. I have no idea if I should get dressed up or dress down. I probably shouldn't wear anything too funky, but I still want to be myself...

I was thinking:
Marc by Marc Jacobs grey patterned l/s shirt
with Seafoam American Appral tee underneath
dark wash G-Star Jeans
grey and orange Vans slip ons...

way too casual? help please..

07-06-2005
V.I.P.

Hmm...

I have no idea what the dress code would be there, so it's hard to say. Is this a review of your work or a chance for a job? If so, I think the outfit does sound a bit casual. I generally opt to dress on the "up" side if I'm in a position to be judged.

The tee & shirt sound nice, but if it were me, I would swap the jeans and vans for some slacks and a dress shoe. I think that would strike a happy medium b/t dressing up and down and polish it up just enough.

Good luck

PS - I think this is a good candidate for the "Does it Work" thread, too. So much of it "working" as to do w/ time, place and circumstance

Last edited by Curious; 07-06-2005 at 02:17 PM.
07-06-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

Great idea for a thread. I agree with Curious, I think it's a touch too casual and would switch the jeans and vans with khaki's and a casual shoe.

07-06-2005
retro queen

marcj good luck with your research internship.

I work in medical research in a large university and we can wear whatever we like provided we stick to the lab rules (closed in shoes, lab coat etc). I like the sound of your outfit, but I agree with Curious that it might be better to swap the jeans for pants, and perhaps wear a closed in shoe, in case you will be touring the lab.

07-06-2005
flaunt the imperfection

good advice..i agree with everyone...

07-06-2005
trendsetter

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will definitely take the suggestions.... no vans or jeans..
Charlottesomtimes, where do you work? my internship is at Cedars-Sinai... So when you say you can wear anything to work, does that include jeans? Thanks

07-06-2005
retro queen

marcj I'm in Australia. Our lab is so easy going that we can wear whatever we like....jeans, shorts......whatever. As long as we wear our lab coat and protective footwear nobody cares. We don't deal with the general public though, so I guess that's part of the reason behind it.

09-06-2005
trendsetter

I posted what I wore in "What are you wearing today"... Thanks for all of the suggestions, it did pay to dress up a little bit. Anyways, I got the position helping with an investigational research project on a new class of HIV drugs and they offered to pay me..

Anyways, I think other people should use this thread for similar things.. like you have to go somewhere and need a suggestion on what to wear..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
today, wear