How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-01-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Tuff View Post
i always wear formal stuff (shirt/cardigan/overcoat/dress shoes) because i've found that it actually makes the staff at the airport and on the airplane treat me better.
I am trying to imagine the treatment that could induce me to dress up for a transatlantic flight

01-01-2009
windowshopping

I'm tall (5"11) so I cannot for the life of me wear anything tight (read: jeans) because I feel so constricted and claustrophobic.

I love wearing jersey trousers, layering some knits and a warm scarf. I freeze on planes!

rising star

I'd wear shirt and jeans on the plane. It's really unconfortable on plane and I'd try to dress the simplest.

03-01-2009
front row

For long, international flights, I'm practically in jammies all the way, unless I'm going to see relatives or am going to do something straight off the plane, which is rare.

If the flight is relatively short - say under 5 or 6 hours, I'll wear a dress and heels, or a blazer with riding boots.

04-01-2009
front row

Quote:
i always wear formal stuff (shirt/cardigan/overcoat/dress shoes) because i've found that it actually makes the staff at the airport and on the airplane treat me better.
you should receive good customer service no matter what you look like. don't dress up just to have other people treat you better. speak with confidence, hold your head up high, and ask for what you want instead of dressing up to lookin like a high roller just to get service you deserved in the first place.

V.I.P.

i always wear my normal outfit. not anythiung special, just a shirt & jeans... but i always need a thick pullover

11-01-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesea View Post
you should receive good customer service no matter what you look like. don't dress up just to have other people treat you better. speak with confidence, hold your head up high, and ask for what you want instead of dressing up to lookin like a high roller just to get service you deserved in the first place.
It ought to be that way, but it often isn't. Let's not kid ourselves, the image you project affects the way people treat you, in most aspects of life. And there are various perks you can strive for when you're flying.

It's a long shot, but if an airline causes you trouble like mixing up your luggage, sometimes you can even get a free upgrade to Business or First class, if you're really polite. You don't have to look like a wealthy jetsetter, but wearing your pj's won't cut it either.

It's possible to dress smartly and still be ultra-casual and comfortable. I don't equate a comfortable flight with wearing sweatpants and crocs. I also want to feel comfortable within myself, and to me, that means looking reasonably presentable to others.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 11-01-2009 at 06:53 AM.
11-01-2009
backstage pass

the last time I was on a plane, i wore some loose ripped jeans and a t-shirt with The Joker motif on it, plus a chunky cardigan to go over it. I think they key thing here is comfort, especially if its a long flight! I was only flying to Paris, so it was a short flight (thank goodness, i'm a terrible flyer!).

11-01-2009
backstage pass

When I fly I tend to wear jeans, and a nice top and a cardigan, and some comfy flats with a big purse to keep all my carry on items in.

03-02-2009
backstage pass

always a pair of skinny jeans, a soft/flowy top, and a fab pair of sandals.

i went on holiday this past december, so i had to re-think this strategy . .
opted instead for a loose grey american apparel t, shrunken navy wool blazer, grey skinny jeans & a softer than soft fuchsia cashmere scarf.
so warm + comfie.
i always keep accessories to a minimum: a necklace or two & nothing more.

the only thing i ever have a problem with is what handbag to take . . and furthermore, what to put inside it . .!
i hardly ever need what i pack [save for my passport, wallet & cellphone].

04-02-2009
rising star

i need wraps for plane travel.

07-02-2009
tfs star

i wear something comfy and light during flights. and removing and putting on shoes during airport inspections can be such a hassle... so the shoes must be really something easy to put on.

09-02-2009
tfs star

sometimes i hate the feeling of wearing jeans, it made me feel heavy, so i prefer to wear thick tights, i got cold easily on plane. with a long loose baby doll dress in a light comfortable material, preferably with sandal, thin cardigan and a thick jacket

10-02-2009
rising star

Quote:
honestly i find that i have to do the same as well. once i went with sweatpants and a big shirt with comfy birkenstock clogs and the staff totally treated me like a kid and barely acknowledged my presence when i came to the ticket counter to get my bags ticketed. then a couple of weeks later i had my hair blown out, wore a trench coat, skinny jeans, black patent flats, and carried my louis vuitton speedy and practically had the whole staff waiting on me. two different appearances and i was definitely treated better if i looked good or presentable.

10-02-2009
Not Thinking About Time

I am flying tomorrow and I am going first class which I dont usually do I feel like I should dress better than jeans and a sweater.

Portfolio Last FM
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
airplane, wear