How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2004
windowshopping

I'll usually wear a pair of Citizens jeans (I find them more comfortable and better fitting than Sevens) and I'll layer just in case. I'll usually wear something thin underneath and then a sweater or jacket over it. I usually wear kitten heels or sandals (by sandals, I mean backless heels, NOT my Docs) -- the key is slip on. They look easier and more casual but can still be chic. Of course, I always carry around either a Kate Spade or Prada babybag - whichever one matches my outfit - to package my stuff into (I always bring around my CD player and iPod). I always bring an Evian water spritzer for rehydration, a small makeup bag, and small simple purse (I find my Pradas do best) to fit my cell phone into. Of course, I've been doing this dance since God knows when, so comfort really isn't a factor for me - I've learned to find comfort in these things, lol. Nothing's really uncomfortable besides perhaps looking fugly, bad makeup, or 6-inch Dior heels...but then again, who really cares? You're usually the only one in the plane besides whoever else may be accompanying you or the captain of whom you probably already are acquainted with.

21-12-2004
V.I.P.

I would never wear amnything sportswear or anything too casual, i would also not wear anything which would crease easily. I would take into account what the weather is like in the fineal destination. I normally wear very little make up then touch up prior to landing. SOme departure lounges have dress codes, eg. first class lounge which is also something to consider. When flying I try not to look like i about to embark on a cheap package holiday in alicante. I do try to keep some class.

21-12-2004
front row

politesociety- the only one on the plane? a lot of us don't fly private... for me it's usually Delta out of Gulfport or Jetblue out of New Orleans.... I wear jeans and a polo with some cute shoes and a cute bag- comfy and cute

22-12-2004
trendsetter

Long flights (think the 10 hour one I took a month ago *shudders* lol) - everyone always looks tired after them.

Whats the point in spending hours grooming yourself if, at the end of it, your eyes will be puffy, all your makeup will be streaked and your clothes all crinkled?

I just wear what I feel like on the day

22-12-2004
front row

I do a lot of long haul flying - many of my business trips are 24 hours plus (door to door). I always wear Juicy on the plane - with a singlet underneath. Planes are either freezing cold or roasting - you need to be prepared for either. I went to NY last week and wore a purple Juicy suit, a purple/pink vintage mohair cape and beige uggs. It doesn't have to look scruffy - wear a bit of trendy jewellery with it and it can look nice.

I've been doing these trips for along time, so I'm quite organised, now.

I find it really hard to sleep in jeans or formal wear - its too restricting - the waistband can feel so uncomfortable when you are trying to sleep and creases terribly. I would never wear make up on a long haul flight - it wrecks your skin. - I always take with me on the flight a blow-up neck pillow, earplugs and an eye mask, also lip balm - a really good moisturiser, wet wipes, and hand cream. I sometimes braid my hair before I fly as the dryness in the cabin tends to make for a hair horror. If you can wash your hair just before you fly that helps too. I usually have tinted brows and lashes, so I can get away with no make up.

Years ago I remember flying back from Hong Kong to London, there was a lady opposite me who was wearing a Versace pencil skirt and very high heels - she looked fab, but so uncomfortable. No one cares what you look like when you fly - save the impressions for when you arrive. You can always change before you leave the airport if you must.

What I really don't like to see is people coming back from vacation (a hot place) to their home country (freezing cold) still wearing their shorts /sandals /sombrero - yes we know you've been away! Aren't you cold?

It looks so trashy

and Tiamaria - I'm yet to visit a lounge which has a dress code -where is that?

Last edited by renferme; 22-12-2004 at 07:30 AM.
22-12-2004
windowshopping

I usually wear a pair of comfortable jeans, I like D'Amage. And as much cashmere that is seasonally feasible. Shoewise its hard, if its in the summer, I only wear sandals unless I have to wear shoes. I really am a fan of the Samsonite travel wear b/c it is luxurious and modern, but is so comfortable.

23-12-2004
backstage pass

my friend goes in her pjs can't get comfier than that!

the key is to layer. you never know how cold the plane or your destination will be. i usually go with loose jeans/cargo pants, comfy worn in shirt, cashmere or fleece sweater, and my peacoat or a hoodie over that, which doubles up as an extra blanket. no makeup (i don't wear it usually) and i wear my glasses instead of contacts, they get really dry on flights. when i land i put them in. shoe-wise i stick to my beloved converse or other sneakers. your feet expand over long flights and it's easier to stuff on sneakers than heels.

23-12-2004
front row

When I'm off-duty and flying, I go full out grubs. This usually means mod robes or jeans, skate shoes, old beat up tshirt, no makeup (but lots of moisturizer and lip balm,) dirty pony tail (as I refuse to get up early to get beautiful for a flight,) giant sunglasses, and a favoured cardigan.

I don't really care if people think I look tacky! On the plane, I'm all about me!

27-12-2004
V.I.P.

MANCHESTER AIRPORT LOUNGE PACKAGE

Airport Lounge dress code - smart casual. <------- look at this what do you know

Reasonable behaviour from lounge guests is expected. Children in lounges (where permitted) must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Children under the age of 8 yrs are not permitted in the Manchester Airport lounges.

27-12-2004
V.I.P.

Heathrow Airport Lounges

With our executive Heathrow lounge products our customers can access the lounges normally reserved for business class passengers. They provide a comfortable environment to escape the hustle and bustle of Heathrow terminals. Customers can relax and enjoy complimentary snacks, tea, coffee and a wide selection of soft and alcoholic drinks plus free newspapers and magazines. Lounges are also available at over 14 UK other airports. Each lounge is designed using imaginative textures and colours and make use of natural light and natural materials to provide a tranquil environment where you can relax, work, have a drink or just catch up with the news. For security reasons if you need to leave the lounge, you must take any luggage with you even if you wish to return. Heathrow airport lounges located after Passport Control are not suitable for passengers on domestic flights unless stated otherwise. Lounges have a smart dress code <------- and again look

27-12-2004
V.I.P.

Lady muck i think i prove my point !! these are the two airports i usualy fly from.

01-01-2005
backstage pass

Several factors:

1) Depends on how long your flight is. Short flights (under 2 hours) i'll just wear my usual full makeup and wear stylish yet comfy clothes.

2) Depends on the country you're going to, sometimes it's safer to dress down, in order to attract less attention. i'll be visiting my homeland soon and will consciously be totally dressing down.

3) Depends on what 'class' you're in:

First class, i'll make more of an effort to be a bit more stylish, but i'll never wear heels or stockings - ever... they're not comfortable and if there's a fire, if you wear stockings they'll melt on your skin!

Economy/Chartered flights/and for longer flights, i'll be comfortable - usually i'll wear comfy jeans, sneaks, ankle socks, short or long-sleeve tee w/ a zip-cardigan - essential for me.. always find myself freezing on the plane. When i head off to the loo, i fold the hem of my jeans up as i find the loo in economy can get dodgy. Overall i stay away from synthetics as i do have this fire fear thing (after seeing a program) anything w/ polyester or nylon will melt and stick on you. Another alternative is a simple black turtleneck or black tee + black pants, black zip-boots (or sandals) + a nice coloured pashmina on top.

Makeup - basics - i'll wear more moisturizer than usual + either concealer alone or concealer + a sheer foundation. A little eyeshadow + lipgloss. i carry a homemade spritzer of rosewater + glycerin, and reapply moisturizer. As we're about to land, i reapply concealer/foundation, add eyeliner, curl my lashes, add mascara, apply lipstick and wear blush/bronzer.... and of course, fix my hair.

Next week i'll be applying your tips... using earplugs for sure.. maybe i'll try Visine Real Tears to rehydrate my poor eyes.

Last edited by gruveechik; 01-01-2005 at 09:14 AM.
14-05-2005
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

Chic Travel wear
I searched the forums and couldnt find a topic like this,..how to look chic when jet-setting around the world? and running through airports? what are your must-haves?secrets?

14-05-2005
slightly dizzy

I try to make sure I wear something comfy that doesn't wrinkle, or doesn't look bad if it gets a bit wrinkly. For summer, linen is perfect; it will be or get wrinkled anyway and will still look good. Knitwear of different kinds is a good bet. I'd avoid anything really tight, unless it's falls under the comfy category.

14-05-2005
kabhi alvida

I'm sure there's a thread on this somewhere that can help you...I've posted in it before...let me try and find it...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
airplane, wear